J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Uhhh....I think you got that backwards.

Rabbit starvation is caused by a lack of fat.....not protein.

Yup, same with Moose meat.

No way? Moose will kill you too? Don’t all game animals have a low fat content. Lewis & Clark and company survived on venison and elk until they got to the Pacific NW and injuns hooked them up with salmon, clams and crab...😎

I had always heard moose was the most complete meat and indians could eat it all winter long by itself without suffering ill effects.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Sounds like the Paleo-Keto-WTF-0 diet.

People are weird.

Kinda like how corn killed off a pile of Indians.

I think that was corn mash.

And General Motors.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Rabbit is awesome eats, albeit, winter fare only in most parts due to warbles...They taste like chicken.

Any idea how long it would take for a stranded or lost person to start suffering from lack of protein the body needs eating just Rabbit?

😎

Have seen lots of cows with warbles, never a rabbit.

Warbles would not be an issue, tularemia is an issue and will kill you dead. If eating rabbits, hares, or rodents, one is well advised to become familiar with symptoms of tularemia and always wear rubber gloves when dressing such animals.

I wonder how many Indians that killed. I wonder how many got trichinosis from bear meat, fat.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Rabbit is awesome eats, albeit, winter fare only in most parts due to warbles...They taste like chicken.

Any idea how long it would take for a stranded or lost person to start suffering from lack of protein the body needs eating just Rabbit?

😎

Warbles would not be an issue, tularemia is an issue and will kill you dead. If eating rabbits, hares, or rodents, one is well advised to become familiar with symptoms of tularemia and always wear rubber gloves when dressing such animals.

Dude, we’re all ears....Explain forth. I’ve cut hundreds of white cellos tumors out of game...What’s the signs of tularemia? I can google, but I would prefer hearing from someone who’s seen it. 😎

Fire up your google fu. I don't kill many bunnies and have not eaten a cottontail since 1976. I have never actually seen a tularemia infected rabbit. But documentation abounds.

See tularemia, rabbit fever, deer fly fever, and bacterium Francisella tularensis.

I think they get spots on the liver.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've killed and eaten several thousand cottontail rabbits in my life. They are good fried, scalloped or in a casserole. They don't taste like chicken, they're better. Wild cottontails taste alot different than pen raised domestic. The wild ones are much more flavorful and better than pen raised by far. I'd need to be pretty desperate and hungry to eat another pen raised rabbit.

I chicken fry them but they are usually tough, even if i cook the hind qs in a pot of pinto beans. I have some cooking now with onion, celery and deer heart.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its more a point of people reading a book and then purposefully limiting the scope of their diet.

I only eat ________!

That line would need to be quite a bit longer for me.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

L&C supposedly ate a lot of Beaver Tail...I’m sure Lewis or Clark was a direct ancestor of mine. 😬😎

Beaver, I mean the furry kind, er, ah, the four legged kind, er, the rodent is very difficult to eat. It tastes just like its food source....willow bark. Have you ever chewed on a green willow twig. It might well be good fot toothache but it tastes like crap.

Never tasted the tail, but have seen the grease cooking out of a couple dead ones in the hot August sun. And I have skinned a couple. The tail is mostly fat.

Its strange that the mountain men also were fond of buffler hump and tongue.

Anyone here try that?

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Beef tongue is okay.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Rabbits are good to eat cooked several ways. I prefer tame to wild but have eaten a bunch of wild ones. Used to have a pack of beagles and hunted them alot. Rabbits can be good fried baked broiled ,cooked in a gravy either in the oven or on top of the stove, barbequed even ground and.made into sausages. Young tame ones are delicious and can be cooked any way you want and will be tender.
Those of you talking about eating beaver tail have probably never tried to skin one. They are hard to skin and are nothing but bone and greasy gristle. You could probably eat one but it would chewy.

I think they pitched the tail in the campfire coals and crisped the cracked outside off. I wonder if the outside became similar to hog cracklins.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

😎

I wonder how many Indians that killed. I wonder how many got trichinosis from bear meat, fat.

Thinking not as many as were killed from blankets laced with small pox...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Sounds like the Paleo-Keto-WTF-0 diet.

People are weird.

Kinda like how corn killed off a pile of Indians.

I think that was corn mash.

And General Motors.

Hahahaha. Fo sho bro.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had to quit both rabbit AND caffeine...………

Made me jumpy

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have you guys ever tried smoking or grilling cottontail?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Have you guys ever tried smoking or grilling cottontail?

No, Rooster, can you do that and have them tender enough to eat.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I lived on rabbit meat for several years because all my money was sent on airfare and tequila. I guess the occasional pork ribs at Carlo's and Charlie's saved my like.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've killed and eaten several thousand cottontail rabbits in my life. They are good fried, scalloped or in a casserole. They don't taste like chicken, they're better. Wild cottontails taste alot different than pen raised domestic. The wild ones are much more flavorful and better than pen raised by far. I'd need to be pretty desperate and hungry to eat another pen raised rabbit.

I chicken fry them but they are usually tough, even if i cook the hind qs in a pot of pinto beans. I have some cooking now with onion, celery and deer heart.
Gotta shoot young of the year if you're gonna fry em and not be tough. Older rabbits are best slow/moist cooked to tenderize. My wife makes a delicious scalloped rabbit. Not sure what all she puts in it but she boils it till tender first and saves the stock. Then picks the tender meat off the bones and mixes it into a casserole dish with croutons, broken up saltines and some spices. She then pours some of the stock over the meat/crouton/saltines mixture and bakes it in the oven. While it's cooking she makes a gravy from the rest of the stock and some chicken boulion and cooks some potatoes. When it's all done you spoon the scalloped rabbit over a bed of mashed taters add gravy over the top and enjoy.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had grilled tame rabbit that was very good cooked on a smoky charcoal and wood fire.
My mother used to marinate young wild rabbits that we killed and broiled them. Those could have been cooked on a fire and been good.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When camping I eat a lot of cottontail rabbits, younger the better.
Haven't tried jackrabbit, which is actually a hare I believe.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Its strange that the mountain men also were fond of buffler hump and tongue.

Anyone here try that?

I have a couple friends who raise bison for market.

They are closely related enough that they will cross breed with beef cows, and they have the same diet. Pasture grass and alfalfa hay, in captivity. It would make sense that bison tongue would eat just like cow tongue. Of which I have eaten quite a bit.

Local Mexican Food places sell a bunch of Tacos la Lengua, which is tongue. They go for about 50 cents each above the cost of shredded beef, pork, or chicken.

I can eat tongue, but it is nothing special. A good tenderloin, or T-bone is 100 times better.

Back when I was in grammar school, and our libraries were filled with non-PC literature, I read a lot of books (often two a day) about frontier life, nineteenth century cowboys, Indian fighters, and buffalo hunters. Many of those books made reference to hunters killing bison for the $1.00 per tongue bounty offered by US Army.

Whether such a bounty was actually ever offered I do not know. But it sure would have gone a long way toward eliminating bison from the plains in an effort to starve out the tribes of that area.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 222ND, 2003and2013, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,790
Posts18,477,303
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.