Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Uhhh....I think you got that backwards.

Rabbit starvation is caused by a lack of fat.....not protein.

Yup, same with Moose meat.

No way? Moose will kill you too? Don’t all game animals have a low fat content. Lewis & Clark and company survived on venison and elk until they got to the Pacific NW and injuns hooked them up with salmon, clams and crab...😎
They don't marble like beef. All the fat is on the outside of the meat. You just need to eat it, not toss it. Lewis & Clark ate it all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Have you guys ever tried smoking or grilling cottontail?

No, Rooster, can you do that and have them tender enough to eat.

That was actually a question, Jag. lol I shot a few and they are vacuum packed in the freezer.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I think if they arent real young you might brown on the grill and drop them in a pressure cooker with a bit of water for 15 min. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read a book about one of the early Alaska expeditions. They followed a river inland for months and had only rabbit to eat. They cooked the rabbit native style, removed the intestines and burnt the hair off over the fire then consumed the whole thing, hide and guts included in order to avoid rabbit starvation. So I guess if you eat enough parts there is enough fat to keep you going. The natives managed to survive somehow.

I tried a few cottontail’s in Oregon growing up, they were pretty rank. We have both snowshoe and cottontail in western MT, one day I’ll try one. I love domestic rabbit.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I read a book about one of the early Alaska expeditions. They followed a river inland for months and had only rabbit to eat. They cooked the rabbit native style, removed the intestines and burnt the hair off over the fire then consumed the whole thing, hide and guts included in order to avoid rabbit starvation. So I guess if you eat enough parts there is enough fat to keep you going. The natives managed to survive somehow.

I would have just went and got a Whopper after nibbling on the actual rabbit meat.

Problem solved.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think they get spots on the liver.

That's what we always look for.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Lotta rabbits have spots on the liver from liver flukes which are harmless. You'll usually find skeins of jellified eggs amongst the intestines if it's infected with flukes. Lotsa worry about tularemia considering it too is harmless so long as you cook the meat thoroughly and don't have any open wounds on the hands or wear latex gloves when dressing. Geeze, you'd think with all the supposedly great, knowledgeable, experienced "outdoorsmen" on these forums more would know this basic stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Rabbits are good to eat cooked several ways. I prefer tame to wild but have eaten a bunch of wild ones. Used to have a pack of beagles and hunted them alot. Rabbits can be good fried baked broiled ,cooked in a gravy either in the oven or on top of the stove, barbequed even ground and.made into sausages. Young tame ones are delicious and can be cooked any way you want and will be tender.
Those of you talking about eating beaver tail have probably never tried to skin one. They are hard to skin and are nothing but bone and greasy gristle. You could probably eat one but it would chewy.

Trapped many hundreds of beaver over the years in a number of states and over 150 a year for a few years in a row. Ate a bunch of them and they are very, very good. The only ones I have tried to eat that were not good were eating either conifers because they had wiped out the local willows or Russian olive in the eastern WA sand dunes.

Never found them difficult to skin. The tails are meaty for what they are, sort of along the lines of ox tail soup. Slow roast them in indirect heat for quite a long time and finish off very hot and close to the fire. They split right open and fall apart. You will end up with the grease running off your elbows. Some friends in the mid-west had me save a bunch every year for their club wild game feed. Lot of folks said it was the favorite of quite a few members.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rabbit is awesome eats, albeit, winter fare only in most parts due to warbles...They taste like chicken.

Any idea how long it would take for a stranded or lost person to start suffering from lack of protein the body needs eating just Rabbit?

😎

Beaver10;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the week treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

Somewhere in the depths of my memory - I want to say it was in the John Palliser Expedition book by Irene Spry - he was the first to chart things like temperature, rainfall and such on the Canadian Prairies at the behest of the Royal Geographic Society. This was in 1857 to 1860.

Anyway they mentioned coming upon a band of Metis in the winter, near present day Edmonton and these folks were subsisting on a diet of rabbit and winter moose, both of which are of course extremely lean meat. As I recall it, they were all in a state of stupor due to the reduction of fat in the diet and it had negatively affected their cognitive ability.

Palliser and his men gave the Metis bear oil at first and then pemmican, both of which contain a fair bit of fat and most made a recovery.

It makes sense in light of that bit of information just how important the bison was, as it was fatter year round than any other meat and procuring bison meant survival plain and simple.

I worked with a couple Inuit folks who said that seal fat was similarly important to their people up north as the fat supply kept them alive.

Hopefully that was of some use to you or someone out there tonight. All the best to you as we head into warmer weather.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 05/18/19. Reason: added for clarity - hopefully

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,
Thank you for that bit of information...Since the start of this thread, I have come to understand that if I should ever be lost, stranded on a prairie, or trekking across the United States via pony and find myself living exclusively off only the offerings of the land, I will eat rabbit only on occasion mixing in a healthy amount of beaver tail, dog (not my traveling best friend) but some wild K9 and buffalo.

This should provide the required fats I would need to maintain my mental acuity and health until I reach a McDonald’s.

Thanks again!

Beav 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yoder409
I had to quit both rabbit AND caffeine...………

Made me jumpy

lol I hear ya

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One winter in Ontario Canada some Natives die from eating only rabbit and staving to death, the snow was so deep they were not able to get around and were ;limited to catching only rabbits. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If you can't eat rabbits - eat carrots.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sawbuck

Artie's father's recipe looks delicious.

I had rabbit cooked like that, in a red wine reduction sauce, with mashed root vegetables at a sidwealk cafe in Paris. One of the best meals of my life.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Lotta rabbits have spots on the liver from liver flukes which are harmless. You'll usually find skeins of jellified eggs amongst the intestines if it's infected with flukes. Lotsa worry about tularemia considering it too is harmless so long as you cook the meat thoroughly and don't have any open wounds on the hands or wear latex gloves when dressing. Geeze, you'd think with all the supposedly great, knowledgeable, experienced "outdoorsmen" on these forums more would know this basic stuff.

Look f**k face......I didn't claim to be an expert on Rabbit innards......I simply pointed out that I too was told the same thing years ago (by someone WAY more "experienced" than you are).

Since you DO claim to be an expert though....post up some links to back up your BS......or are you just another "supposedly great, knowledgeable, experienced outdoorsmen''?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The variety of cottontails we have here are so small they aren't worth hunting. The numbers aren't good, either. We used to have lots of them, and jacks, but back in the '70's, the feds did a lot of work to increase the numbers of raptors. We have plenty of hawks and eagles but not that many rabbits.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Look f**k face......I didn't claim to be an expert on Rabbit innards......I simply pointed out that I too was told the same thing years ago (by someone WAY more "experienced" than you are).

Since you DO claim to be an expert though....post up some links to back up your BS......or are you just another "supposedly great, knowledgeable, experienced outdoorsmen''?

Look here you withered, stupid, know nothing, fake old ass hole. Look it up yourself. I am not wrong and have known this stuff since I was a kid as any real outdoorsman would. Trouble is, there just ain't any of those here. If there were, they wouldn't need to be told basic stuff all the time. Like how to tell a crappie from a perch or if a rabbit has flukes. You fuggin nasty old cock sucker. Now fugg off and go do the world a favor and die.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rabbit is awesome eats, albeit, winter fare only in most parts due to warbles...They taste like chicken.

Any idea how long it would take for a stranded or lost person to start suffering from lack of protein the body needs eating just Rabbit?

😎

LOL, no can do Main, pig/pork and it's fat will keep you alive.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Uhhh....I think you got that backwards.

Rabbit starvation is caused by a lack of fat.....not protein.

Yup, same with Moose meat.

I never knew that. 1 gram fat for 100 grams protein according to what I looked up. Faster than rabbit because that has 2.3 grams per 100. For a native of that region, what were the fat sources?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Look here you withered, stupid, know nothing, fake old ass hole. Look it up yourself. I am not wrong and have known this stuff since I was a kid as any real outdoorsman would. Trouble is, there just ain't any of those here. If there were, they wouldn't need to be told basic stuff all the time. Like how to tell a crappie from a perch or if a rabbit has flukes. You fuggin nasty old cock sucker. Now fugg off and go do the world a favor and die.

Now dadnabbit BH, that aint nice and this is Sunday.

I go by the months with "r" and dont wear gloves. R means good Rabbits, deeR, oysteRs, and elkeRs.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (338reddog, BABore, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,675 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.