Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I use both Dewey and Tipton rods.

Both get the job done for me, so I have no preference.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Dewey.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have solid SS rods with good handles, plus I think a Dewey black-coated rod. I use bore guides and am pretty careful to stay straight. I also have some jointed brass and aluminum rods for emergency, but I did some chamfering work on them to make sure the joints were as smooth and low-profile as possible before I ever used them.
As long as the rod turns properly with the jag or brush, you keep the rod nice and clean, and you use a bore guide, I'm not sure how much brand matters.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have no preference as long as it's a good, smooth, hard, non jointed or rather solid rod. I've had a bunch of different brands. I don't care what brand as long as it meets these criteria. And as was said, I always use a good bore guide. I know a guy whose dad wore a barrel useless cleaning from the muzzle of a bolt gun, believe it or not, without a bore guide. You do stupid [bleep] like that long enough and you might as well get a shot gun.

As for bore solvent, I used to get some from a friend who was trying to go big time with is Deaton's Deep Clean Bore cleaner. It was absolutely the best copper cleaner I've evjb=er used. But nobody paid attention and he went under. He still has the recipe and tells me if i will buy the ingredients he'll brew me a batch up. I really would like a few more bottles. When I built my second build, a .250 Savage built on a Howa 1500 action with a 26 inch Krieger barrel he told me to shoot five rounds through it. Then clean it with my favorite bore cleaner. I did.He said clean it until no more copper came out (Cobalt Blue). I did and the patch was clean, no cobalt blue. Then run a patch with Deaton's Deep Clean. Then wait a couple minutes and follow with a clean white patch. The patch came out cobalt blue indicating copper was still in the barrel after using my old copper cleaner. It actually worked. Not once but every time.

I broke that barrel in according to Krieger's instructions cleaning with Deaton's Deep Clean and it's the best shooting rifle I have. Well my Savage 110 7mag shoots as good but when I got it it was well broken in. But of barrels I've broken in, the one with the Krieger Barrel shoots the best.

Last edited by Filaman; 05/21/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 44 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,395
Posts18,469,994
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.