Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2

Thalidomide was some really nasty stuff. Some German drug company people needed hanging over that one. It was almost like what they'd done to the Jews 15 years earlier. My brother was born in '44 at a navy hospital in GA. He was missing 1 leg. He was born before Thalidomide but Mom had a lot of morning sickness problems and the navy doctors kept pumping different sedatives into her without really knowing what they were doing. It's entirely possible that one of them caused the problem.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Christmas 1955. I'm the well armed fella on the right.

[Linked Image]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Good pictures everyone!

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hey Jim! What’s absolutely amazing about my pic is mom probably took it with her old brownie and she didn’t cut anyone’s head off!!!!!!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

I miss her! 😊

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gawd almighty. Back when you had to wait a week or more to see how your pictures turned out!

I remember we used to drop them off at the drug store to be developed.

If you did not remember to bring your empty bottle to town with you.........no bottle of 7UP!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

A very wise man, now deceased once told me that, “TV ruined America”.

I think he nailed it. Just like MTV ruined rock music.

I was born right smack in the middle of the 50s, but I was a very aware and astute lil schitt. I remember very well how tightly knit families were and how they had so little...a three-bedroom house and six kids, a car in the driveway, and maybe a radio. They'd faint if they saw the material schitt we all think we have to have these days.

I remember the tail end of the "days of normal." I'd have to say it was about 1965. I also have to recognize that what I think of as "normal" was not normal at all to those who were born in the late 1800s, of whom I knew a few. When I tell kids these days our great grandmother would snatch the PS3 away from you and throw it in the trash and then rip off your head and schitt down your neck for trying to tell her Call of Duty is very normal stuff, they cannot comprehend it. I'm not so sure I've ever seen "normal," but I am double-damned sure that kids who grew up from the 80s and on have no freekin idea what normal is. May as well talk to a fencepost.

"There's nothing wrong with the world I grew up in!"

Junkies will tell you there's nothing wrong with shooting heroin.

Same difference.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Heh!

Thems fighting words!

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

If you did not remember to bring your empty bottle to town with you.........no bottle of 7UP!

There was always three or four sodie water bottles under the front seat in the old sedan that no one had ever heard of. No one knew where they came from. And no business would take them for the deposit ( they hadn’t heard of em either!!!)..

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Did you get that here son??

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
They could always tell the difference between one you drank and brought back and one you found in the ditch.

I grew up in the 80's and we did pretty well.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
RC Cola & Grape Nehi ruled when I was a wee fart in the early 60’s.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bicycle, BB gun, baseball and comic books, cub/boy scouts and saying the pledge. Unfortunately we also had polio (mild case, luckily), and the cold war.
I tell my grandkids about the old days and they say, "no electronics?".

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Born in '43. Virtually everyone's dad and uncles had served overseas. Grew up around guns, hunting and fishing on 45 acres of mostly wooded land in Rhode Island. Our clothing was mostly handed down from relatives, even though my dad had a good income from running heavy equipment--that's just how things were done then. Dad and uncles built their own houses; the basis for ours began life as a chicken coup. Dug our own wells. Repaired our own cars and equipment.

Started working a full time job running heavy equipment when I was 13, during summers off from school. Learned to drive on a Model B Ford pickup and bought my first car, a '49 Ford, with money I earned myself, when I was 15. Drafted and then sent to Vietnam (1/67-2/68).

Republicans and Democrats could get along and treat each other with respect; the 2 parties were much different when I was growing up in the '40's and '50's. No matter which party was in power, people all pulled together and we were truly united. Communism, through infiltration of our education system, government, unions and the movie business, brought our country down to what remains of it today.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was 21 months of age when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor. And Hanco was right about the Beatles! Bastids should have been hung when they stepped off the airplane!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
I remember the first draft lottery, my number was 354.
Mine was 44. My brother was 365 and he only had 1 leg. Identity theft was tempting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a 49 model myself! My lottery # was 4f

Last edited by Whelenman; 05/19/19.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I had a football, baseball, bat, glove, bicycle, BB gun, B&W TV, record player, and great best friends. There were vast cow pastures at both ends of our block, and 9-10 Y/O kids hunting blackbirds and catching frogs was perfectly normal.

If we got into a school grounds fight and got/gave a shiner, so be it. We didn't "need" counseling, anger management, or sue each other. A day later we combatants were friends again and choosing up sides for a street baseball game.

SCREW all the PC CRAP we deal with and all the social media torturing kids do to each other now.

I was born in the 1950's and my early years were much like your's.

We lived a much more sheltered life compared to kids of equal ages today, as nearly unlimited access to nearly anything wasn't just a few keystrokes away for us. When I talk to my kids about using the library to do research and a typewriter to put my thoughts on paper, they look at me like I'm a dinosaur. They don't understand how we got anything done with such archaic tools.

Country kids were expected to be responsible from an early age, doing chores before and after school. A lot of people lived on small acreages where they grew a garden and raised livestock. Older people were generally respected and families and friends looked after each other. I can clearly recall helping several neighbors cut, split, and stack firewood every year from 1966/67 thru 1976/77. We also helped several elderly couples by placing hay bales around their granite block foundations for insulation against the cold and then covering the bales with black construction plastic to keep the bales dry when the snow melted or it rained. In the Spring we'd go back, take the bales to the garden, break them up, and till them into the seed beds. Those people were proud and didn't want charity, so they regularly gave us eggs and vegetables that they grew.

I remember that my Father thought that the Country was going to hell when JFK was elected 'cause he thought that JFK was all image and no substance. He was a big fan of Eisenhower and felt that Ike was a nearly polar opposite of JFK and that too many people bought into the whole Camelot thing and that somehow the Kennedy glamour and money was going to rub off on them. If he'd lived to see BHO get elected, I think that he would have felt that the BHO was also more image than substance.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
‘1950 version here. Draft #14 but I had signed an NROTC contract the Friday before. Got to spend 21 years in.

Remember the Fanner 50 ads, etc on TV ?

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I remember the Miller Highlife commercials

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was born in 1944, so I really did grow up in the 50’s. I have good and bad memories.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.