Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cow pasture baseball. Use discretion when sliding.

My older brother had an artificial leg. When the neighborhood kids got together for a pasture football game, you didn't want to get tackled by him. He didn't tackle. He'd just stick out that leg and trip you. DANG that hurt. It was literally getting whacked on the shins by a club.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best thing for you guys growing up in the 50s was you can say you remember when I was born later on in the decade.

Helluva an honor heh ? πŸ€”πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
In 1951 admission to the local movie theater for those under 13 y/o was $0.13. Ten cents admission and 3 cents tax.

Last edited by websterparish47; 05/21/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In the late 50's in Boise, the Saturday matinee was .25 for a double feature and cartoon. That got you in the door and they'd keep running the 2 movies over and over. You could stay all day and watch them both over and over if you wanted to.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mean you guys didn't bring a shotgun to grade school and keep it in your unlocked locker so that you could go hunting after school? Didn't much care for the sixth grade, but school was closer to the railroad tracks with the rabbits and pheasants along the ditches.
The down side of growing up then was that you were like a piece of raw meat and prime age when the Viet Nam war hit. I was 1A or 2S and it wasn't a tough decision. The Tet Offensive or University of Wisconsin.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
I think most of you fellas are remembering the 60's.

Not the 50's.

i would have to agree i was born in 53 also and living in the country, i remember mostly the 60`s early 70`s when me and my brother hunted ,target shot our guns , fished, rode dirt bikes,snowmobiles ,beer parties in fields cops didn`t say much, in most any place we wanted too,no one cared much. we raised alot of hell and people just said those boys will grow up and be just fine. we did still go to church every Sunday with mom or all hell was raised so hang-overs ,black eyes ,we were clean up , hair comb and quiet in church ,Mom ruled on Sunday A.M. . in church when everyone shook hands in peace , brother and i gave each other the peace sign only once and when we got in the car Mom was pissed and all hell was raised,Dad thought it was funny and he caught hell too. ya i remember 60`s and 70`s in todays world i would still be in jail ! man we had some fun booze ,women ,fast cars,motor bikes all for the sake of fun.

Last edited by pete53; 05/21/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

My older brother had an artificial leg. When the neighborhood kids got together for a pasture football game, you didn't want to get tackled by him. He didn't tackle. He'd just stick out that leg and trip you. DANG that hurt. It was literally getting whacked on the shins by a club.

Our neighbor boy was born with no arms and legs so we always took him with us to play sandlot baseball . . . we used him as first base.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i was over in the corner in my version of that dance, being deathly afraid of girls at the time.
i do remember buying my first revolver and shotgun from a gun store at about age 11, and walking back home with them through the center of town. And the 70bucks my dad paid for that winchester 94 30.30.
and a 57 chevy was much better than a 58, if for no other reason that little lever to open the glove box in the center of the dash made an excellent beer bottle opener. I found that out in the 60's.
all adults were mr, mrs. etc, or you got the crap slapped out of you. adults took no disrespect.
I was relatively poor at the time, but didn't know it, as my mother having really been poor always made sure food on the table.
ran unsupervised all over not just the town, but the county on motor scooters. armed, too.
later, in 65 i lived in a real life american grafitti, drivein, the whole thing. it was a year later when the coffins started coming home. choice was either college or someplace called vietnam.
My world i think changed when that piece of caca lbj was elected.
and the 50's was pretty much before free love, nice girls just didn't do that. or at least i never knew any.
I remember walking my first girl friend in the snow to the movies. worked up enough courage to put my arm around her, didn't know what to do then. Damn arm nearly fell off.
I started working at about age 8, dad said i didn't need an allowance at that age.
I miss those days. But i still eat solid food.
and we have a annual luncheon for all those graduating from the local high school 50 years or more in the past.
probably over 500 people attend now, and you get to see all your old friends again from multiple years.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Mention has been made of '57 Chevys. I once read where there are a number of them running around that never saw the inside of a Chevy plant. It seems that some engineers from GM hated to see them die, so they made some up privately (on some frame from Chrysler, I think), forming the sheet metal on wooden forms, and selling them as low-milage used cars.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Our neighbor boy was born with no arms and legs so we always took him with us to play sandlot baseball . . . we used him as first base.

That was an old joke in the 50s...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

β€œIn Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Remember the Twist by Chubby Checker??

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

That was an old joke in the 50s...

Yes it was. And do you remember the words to "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" from the 50s?"

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yup, but not pc today. We substituted "tiger" but that didn't make much sense because they don't speak english.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eeny, meeny, miney, moe,
Catch a n*gger by the toe,
If he hollers, let him go,
eeny, meeny, miney, moe.

Used to choose who was "it".

If the teacher was watching or within earshot we'd substitute monkey for what got caught by the toe.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Eney, meeny, miney, moe
Catch a n*gger by the toe
If he hollers, make him pay
Fifty dollars every day
My mommy told me
to chose the very best one
You dirty, dish rag you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmm, that's a variation I hadn't heard. We did have the last set of lines but those were only added if you didn't like the person who got picked or didn't want them on your team. You could add a series of extra verses until they finally picked someone you wanted on your team.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fifty dollars every day?! Good lord, that's a fortune... wink

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Didn't grow up in the '50's. This is the version I remember:

Eney, meeny, miney, moe
Catch a monkey by his toe
If he hollers, make him pay
Fifty dollars every day
My momma told me pick this one

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.