Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just remembered another reason I put the coin-screw on the bolt-handle side, despite the "clutter."

For quite a few years I was doing a lot of horseback hunting, often with rifles using Weaver rings. While there's always plenty of discussion about the correct way to place a rifle in a saddle scabbard, the consensus among the horse guys I hunted with was in front of the saddle, on the right-hand side, buttstock up. This didn't interfere with normal mounting of the horse from the left side, and allowed the hunter to keep an eye on the rifle when riding through timber, and pull it out easily with his right hand, for whatever reason.

A lot of those guys used Weaver rings, not just because they were common and "affordable" but because they were rugged, and the scope could be mounted very low on "traditional" bolt-action rifles. The coin -screw heads were also on the same side as the bolt-handle. AWAY from the horse's body, where they weren't subjected to as much jolting pressure (and hence possibility of being rubbed loose). That placement (with all the clutter on the right-hand side) also allowed the rifle to slide out of a scabbard more easily.

One other reason a lot of those hunters used Weavers was the ugly, cheap rings were among the most dependably repeatable detachable rings of the day. They still are, if you know how to tighten them. Some horseback hunters would bring along another Weaver in the same rings, already sighted-in, just in case the first scope went screwy, or they had a horse-wreck.

Here's one of the photos that started this discussion, of a pre-'64 Winchester Featherweight .308 Winchester with an old K4 Weaver in Weaver rings. Please note that the coin-screw knobs are not anywhere near the ejection port, and in fact (as in most scopes) even the windage-adjustment cap (much smaller in that old scope) sticks out farther than the ring-knobs, and in the front section of the ejection port so has more potential to interfere with case ejection.

As I noted earlier, modern scopes with much taller windage knobs are far more likely to interfere with ejection (or loading another round into the magazine) than the Weaver ring-knobs.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
The mediums are lower than a lot of others' lows.

True .

I recently put a 2.5 -8 Leupy on a Savage 220 slug gun . Due to the length of the action to get the eye relief where it needed to be I had to use a rail . Looked at every low ring I could find . Top mount Weavers were the only option to get it where I wanted it height wise .

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
....despite the "clutter."

[Linked Image]

The horse/scabbard thing makes sense.
The Rifle just LOOKs better with knobs on the L side. And the newer knobs are bigger.
Personal Preference thing.
Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/27/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

Always good to hear from somebody who believes there's an aesthetic reason behind which way to turn Weaver rings, which have rarely been considered beautiful.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Personal Preference
Red / Blue
Ford /Chevy

That’s all.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clynn
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by jwall
I like the Weaver rings. It took some getting used to HOW to install with scope level - square.

I have several sets of these Weavers. With the screws on both sides of the saddle they're a lot easier to snug up.

[Linked Image]

Problem is I believe those are only available in medium height. If you want low the top mounts are the only option.

Good point. I'd like to see more "lower" rings offered. Many ring makers don't even offer them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Really low rings used to be far more common because many hunters wanted to be able to also use iron sights, because scopes often fogged or were otherwise unreliable. Most rifle stocks were still designed (and some still are) primarily for iron-sight use, so for the best scope alignment, they needed to be mounted low. (This is why also why Weaver rings were designed to be easily detachable and replaceable.

Today most factory hunting rifles don't even come with iron sights, so tend to have higher-combed stocks, and aftermarket stocks tend to have even higher combs. Many stocks also have adjustable-height combs, so the shooter can tweak it, rather than trying to match scope height to comb height. Plus, many of today's scopes won't even work in really low rings, because their objective and eyepiece bells are so large.

As a result, there's not as much demand for really low rings. In fact one of my gunsmith friends, Charlie Sisk, has found that most of his customers are better off with medium-height rings.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Makes perfect sense .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Really low rings used to be far more common because many hunters wanted to be able to also use iron sights, because scopes often fogged or were otherwise unreliable. Most rifle stocks were still designed (and some still are) primarily for iron-sight use, so for the best scope alignment, they needed to be mounted low. (This is why also why Weaver rings were designed to be easily detachable and replaceable.

Today most factory hunting rifles don't even come with iron sights, so tend to have higher-combed stocks, and aftermarket stocks tend to have even higher combs. Many stocks also have adjustable-height combs, so the shooter can tweak it, rather than trying to match scope height to comb height. Plus, many of today's scopes won't even work in really low rings, because their objective and eyepiece bells are so large.

As a result, there's not as much demand for really low rings. In fact one of my gunsmith friends, Charlie Sisk, has found that most of his customers are better off with medium-height rings.

I don't think that Remington started putting stocks on hunting rifles that were designed primarily for shooting with a scope until they introduced the 725 in 1958.

Even with scopes that have objective bells that are 40mm or smaller, some stocks have such high combs that the average guy who has a defined neck wouldn't be able to align their primary shooting eye with the scope with low rings.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Back in 1966 I bought a Model 70 push feed. I was all into things shiny back then. Anyway, the sporting goods store where I bought it mounted the scope, a Redfield 4X. They mounted it in Weaver mounts. About twenty years later I belonged to a local gun club that had a number of bench rest shooters as members. I was out at the range one day shooting it and I commented to one of the bench rest boys about maybe changing my mounting system because I thought they looked cheap and unattractive. He stopped me and picked up one of his bench guns and sure as hell there sat atop it a pair of Weaver rings and bases. He said they may not look like a cadillac but they work like a Rolls Royce. He said there was no stronger or more reliable mount. They were simple but dependable. I left them on that rifle. I've still got that rifle and it is my go to hunter to this day. And it still has Weaver rings and bases on it, although they are a more modern ring and the base is now a Weaver rail. I have three rifles with rail bases and Weaver style rings. They aren't the only thing going but they work well and better than most for less money.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bet more big game animals have been killed with rifle using Weaver scope mounts and Remington Cor-Lok Bullets than any other brands

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think JB posted that pic just to show off the group. cool

OK, not really. But is a pretty nice group.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 05/30/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Filaman
Back in 1966 I bought a Model 70 push feed. I was all into things shiny back then. Anyway, the sporting goods store where I bought it mounted the scope, a Redfield 4X. They mounted it in Weaver mounts. About twenty years later I belonged to a local gun club that had a number of bench rest shooters as members. I was out at the range one day shooting it and I commented to one of the bench rest boys about maybe changing my mounting system because I thought they looked cheap and unattractive. He stopped me and picked up one of his bench guns and sure as hell there sat atop it a pair of Weaver rings and bases. He said they may not look like a cadillac but they work like a Rolls Royce. He said there was no stronger or more reliable mount. They were simple but dependable. I left them on that rifle. I've still got that rifle and it is my go to hunter to this day. And it still has Weaver rings and bases on it, although they are a more modern ring and the base is now a Weaver rail. I have three rifles with rail bases and Weaver style rings. They aren't the only thing going but they work well and better than most for less money.

+1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
GunDoc,

I posted that photo for more than one reason--but one was indeed the group!

It turned out to be the lead photo on an article I recently wrote about hunting rifle accuracy for SPORTS AFIELD. It illustrated what a pre-'64 Featherweight can do with better bedding, which in this instance was a couple of flat-plastic bread-bag clasps behind the recoil lug, enough to truly free-float the barrel.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have put them both ways, kinda like em [Linked Image]better like this

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=jwall][quote=Mule Deer

[Linked Image]

The horse/scabbard thing makes sense.
-----------------------------------------

** < For Clarity >**

For a horseback hunt I'd mount mine like that.....but THEN I'd swap them back to the L side.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 05/30/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

Please note that the coin-slot screw-tops on the Weavers do not block any part of the ejector/loading port. Which is the major reason I posted the photo. Also checked the other 9 of our rifles with Weaver rings, and they're all well clear too.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I understand and thanks.

To me, a personal thing, MAYBE being R handed, I look at the right side of the rifle more than the L and it just LOOKS cleaner.

[Linked Image]

I'm not telling anyone it's the only way to do it. I'm not saying there IS a wrong way to do it.
(not being smart here) - it's a Red /Blue.....Ford /Chevy type thing.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With 1 exception, installing a 7/8" Lyman Alaskan on a previously bubba'd Winchester 54, I haven't used Weaver rings for years. I use Warnes on 1st tier rifles and either Warnes or B-Squares on lower tier rifles.

There is a tote in the storage unit with dozens of sets of low, medium, and high 1" Weaver rings, some that are probably 60 years old.

When I used them, I always put the thumb screws on the right side. I don't know why, just did.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
260-you should sell some of those low Weavers to those of us who are still trying to figure out which side to mount the thumb screws! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 1minute, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,594
Posts18,473,485
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.