Print Thread
Hop To
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So, after attempting to install a grind-to-fit recoil pad on the stock of my CZ 452 Silhouette, I am just not happy with the results. The original Limbsaver-like pad melted off and decinigrated.

I have contacted three 'gunsmiths' from the area (who work at local gunshops) who all told me they "dont do that kind of work." They only do work on AR platforms.

So I'm wondering if any gunsmiths here would want to install a red
Pachmayr Decelerator pad on my stock. I'll gladly mail out the stock at this point to have it done right. I can order and send another pad with the stock, or if it's more convenient, just include the cost of the pad in the bill.

I just want my favorite .22 back up and running before squirrel season starts this September.

Just shoot me a PM if you're interested. Thanks.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm not interested but perhaps I can offer you some tips on how to do it yourself if you have a belt sander if you want.
Phil

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Lee, AKA, "Redneck" does the work. I have used him to replace a recoil pad and his work is top notch.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jim Kobe has installed several red Pachmyer Decelerator pads for me, his price and turnaround time are reasonable and he is a pleasure to deal with.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I never thought I would see the day that recoil pad installation would fall under the specialized work category so that a person would have to ship a rifle off to get a pad fitted. A changing landscape, for sure. It used to be that a gunsmith could be expected to do most anything. No more, I guess. GD

IC B2

J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by greydog
I never thought I would see the day that recoil pad installation would fall under the specialized work category so that a person would have to ship a rifle off to get a pad fitted. A changing landscape, for sure. It used to be that a gunsmith could be expected to do most anything. No more, I guess. GD

Right. 20 years ago, I can think of at least 3 gunsmiths within a 20 minute drive, and those were the ones that I knew of. The last fellow in the area, who by the way was a craftsman in every sense of the word, has more or less hung it up due to health issues. He specialized in bluing, and he had mentioned a few times that bluing salts(?) were getting expensive, and the EPA regulations were making certain chemicals harder to get and more pricey as well?

Around my neck of the woods, the only "gunsmithing" services offered are big box store canted scope mounting, and AR builds, which isnt gunsmithing. It's like Legos for adults. Hell, my daughter could assemble an AR platform. And sadly, I only live a stones throw away from the Pittsburgh Gunsmithing School. If I had a spare year, I'd enroll. Maybe when I retire in 8 years, if they're still in business and gunsmithing is still legal.

Last edited by J23; 05/17/19.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That would be cool.
Would do it if I was that close to a school.

I never even knew there was a Pittsburgh school.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
That would be cool.
Would do it if I was that close to a school.

I never even knew there was a Pittsburgh school.

Yes, the local 'Smith I described as a craftsman went there a little later in life after he retired. He said it was a good program when we went through.

Judging from his work, it must have been. Some of the guns he has redone are next level gorgeous (he has a thing for Marlin levers).

Ted Nugent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
For those who would like to gain some gunsmithing knowledge without the expense and commitment of a full 2 yr. program one of the NRA sponsored summer classes are an excellent way to do so. They are offered at several of the gunsmithing schools throughout the country and are taught by top notch gunsmiths many of whom are members of the Gunsmith's Guild. In most cases students can bring personal projects to work on in these classes, nothing like having a working pro showing you the tricks of the trade first hand.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Jim Kobe has installed several red Pachmyer Decelerator pads for me, his price and turnaround time are reasonable and he is a pleasure to deal with.

I’m not sure how many recoil pads Jim has installed for me, but more than five. Several were on high grade shotguns.
His work has been excellent.

NRA Patron
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (219DW, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,188
Posts18,503,372
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.