Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking for a GPS for hunting public land and to keep me from getting lost. What works?

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Garmin 64st, Oregeon or Montana loaded with OnX chips. I have all 3 and each has their own use but I could only own one and be happy. Oregon if I could only choose one. I like the Montana for scouting and when I'm staying close to home. 64 gets the nod when I'm not going to be actively "using" the GPS. Also is nice in cold weather since you can use it gloved.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I also use the Garmin 64st... it's a nice unit and works well for me... I also run the OnX chip...Id suggest you avoid a touch screen and to get something that uses AA or AAA batteries... way easier to throw in another set then to figure out how you're going to charge it...

Public landowner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Garmin 64st is also on sale at Cabelas right now... out of stock but backorderable... Bass Pro has them in stock at the same sale price...

Public landowner...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They will all do what you are looking for. That is their most basic function. Base mapping in some is pretty good and in others is pretty bad.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Never had an issue with my touch screens and they're infinitely quicker and easier to use. I also use rechargeable batteries when I can such as day hunts or when Im staying close to home. I do keep some AA handy just in case but I only really need them for longer hunts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had three Garmins and like the smaller size of my old Vista, but my newer, larger 64st gets a position fix much faster and reads the Russian GPS satellites too and it isn't blind under foliage like the old Vista. The batteries last longer in the 64st as well.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Use your smart phone, best GPS and easiest to use.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Use your smart phone, best GPS and easiest to use.

I know you can download apps but does it still work when you don't have phone signal?
As you can tell I'm not familiar with ground based units, only ones I've used were for aviation.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My cell phone battery sucks in cold weather and the thing goes dead even in my pocket. Nothing is more frustrating than needing info from your phone when you can't get a signal out in the hinterland or you need a 110 volt outlet for a recharge. Spare AA's are easy to carry and a compass too.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I usually carry both my Garmin Montana and my iphone, with OnXMaps app. A Mophie battery pack extends my iphone life to 2X.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
GPS works without phone signal. Download maps for free with the Avenza app.

My phone is a much more usable tool than a GPS. Yours probably is too. Its lighter, the screen is better, I can text and talk, and take pictures with it. I get much more battery time out of my phone than my Garmin RINO and if I'm having power problems, I put mine on airplane mode when its in my pocket. Finally if I won't have 110v access overnight, I take an Anker portable battery along which at 20000mA will charge my phone and others for some days. I had a solar charger for the Anker so I could charge it in camp if necessary, but I left it with the outfitter last time I went on a guided hunt.

I'm a huge believer in doing what works for you but there's no way I'd spend any money on a separate GPS unit.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you use your IPhone does it have an electronic compass that keeps you updated if you are going really slowly through foliage or standing still trying to figure out where you are?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Geez I have no idea on that, It has a compass but I don't use it. I don't really hunt in places like that I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
64ST is a great lil unit... I have multiples of them and have em stashed in all my gear along with spare batteries...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love the 64 too. I often use it in below 0 weather and it's never hiccuped. I've seen touch screens give lots of issues in cold weather. I've found the 64 intuitive and dependable. Undoubtedly there are units that offer more/different options, but the 64 is a great option and the landowner chips are easy to install and worth every penny IME.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Garmin 64st is a very good unit, no frills but very accurate. My son is taking a College course in mapping and it is the one they recommend. Phones are good for the most part, but the dedicated GPS units are better.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the input. I'll pick up a Garmin and download the phone app.

Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Warpig--why do you like the Montana for the reasons said?

Have Oregon and was wishing for a little bigger screen for ease of reading/using, last weekend scouting

Defend the Constitution
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by tomk
Warpig--why do you like the Montana for the reasons said?

Have Oregon and was wishing for a little bigger screen for ease of reading/using, last weekend scouting

Exactly that. I tend to actually use the GPS on my scouting trips quite a bit and the bigger screen etc just makes it easier. I like my Oregon when Im doing more walking than actually using the GPS or I just need to quickly check my location. If im marking and dropping pins I prefer the Montanta. Also my go to GPS when im hunting locally and im not overly concerned with battery life or weight/pack load.

Last edited by warpig602; 05/21/19.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.