Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I lost my younger brother shortly after his 20'th b'day. Auto accident. We spent a lot of time together slaughtering pheasant. His Remington lightweight Wingmaster 20 ga became my cherished possession.

About four years later some phuggin theif burgled it from my bedroom closet. Pisses me the hell off, still, 35 years later.

Shaman, I am glad you and the boys got some nice mementos of your friend.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I always hate to hear stories about blood suckers, parasites and locusts who swarm to a deceased man's hoard hoping for an easy pick.

Not saying that's the case here, but just saying it to say it.

Just sayin

Hope I'll be able to have time to liquidate stuff as I see fit if my time draws to an end.
I damn sure don't want any greasy paws telling my wife such and such is only worth $200.

Don't worry renegade will square you up man..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Fireball2
There's the gun safe for shooters, and there's the others.

I keep most all the investments in cases to protect them. They get paper tags with the wire twistys on the zippers. You can buy the tags at Staples. Write the make, model, serial number, age on the tags. I keep a tally of description, accessories, what I paid and current values for each weapon in a separate hidden location. When you pull one of the cased rifles out of the safe there's no guesswork what it is, it's right on the tag. Grab the gun sheet that details the value of each and there you go. Nobody is going to take advantage of my widow.

Great idea !
I've thought before that it would be nice to have a story to go along with each firearm . Other things also .
I have my first Bow a little orange and white fiberglass recurve that my Grandparents bought my brothers and me 51 years ago , I can still see the spot where I put my initials on mine with a purple crayon . They bought them around 1968 in Ocala ,Florida when they first went there as Snowbirds escaping the cold ohio winter .
I know I would enjoy knowing the history of something I inherited from a love one or friend .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When my Father died it was easy to place the few shotguns he owned to the kids who wanted one.

I got his Rem.1100 20 ga.my brother that is a few years younger at first did not want one then decided he wanted Dad's Savage 820B 12 ga.pump.

The youngest got a Rem.1148 12ga.and he is keeping Grandpa's 1148 16ga.

I also got the newer Mossberg 410 pump and i gave that one to my Daughter for her 2 boys.

When it came time to divide them up i told my brothers that if anyone started anything they could have them all.

It seemed to work.

MOM was pleased.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I always hate to hear stories about blood suckers, parasites and locusts who swarm to a deceased man's hoard hoping for an easy pick.

Just sayin

Hope I'll be able to have time to liquidate stuff as I see fit if my time draws to an end.
I damn sure don't want any greasy paws telling my wife such and such is only worth $200.

In this case it's somewhat the opposite. Bob left a son and daughter who have no interest in the firearms. Bob said on many occasions he was leaving it so his wife would have money after he was gone. We're all pitching in and buying what we can --even the relatives. The leftovers go to Bob's favorite LGS and they'll sell them on consignment. The widow is giving us good prices, because she knows it's better than she'll get from the LGS.

Bob's got a sign up in the dining room:

[Linked Image]

The widow told me she never understood it until after she started the process of liquidation.

Me? The shamanic horde is already going to be split between my sons, and they've decided to keep it intact and borrow out of it as they need to.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good deal man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a list of who gets which of my guns were I to meet a sudden demise. They aren't for sale.

A friend of mine bought a gun from a grieving widow.it was an over under with bulged barrels that he got took on. Hahaha. He says the price clouded his judgment.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Time to throw a smile in...

When my boy was little he loved to look at my guns. He had his own .22 of course, but dad had a lot more. He liked to ask if he could have one gun or another, as he would say “Could this one be mine?” Guns come and go, so I never committed to anything specific.

Until he asked about Bessie, my first rifle, a model 70 Winchester in .30-06. I knew I’d never sell her. So when he asked, “Could this one be mine?” I told him sure, when I die this one will be yours.

Innocent as hell, he looked up at me and said, “When will that be?”

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
P

Lol, kids are the best, no two ways about it!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Time to throw a smile in...

When my boy was little he loved to look at my guns. He had his own .22 of course, but dad had a lot more. He liked to ask if he could have one gun or another, as he would say “Could this one be mine?” Guns come and go, so I never committed to anything specific.

Until he asked about Bessie, my first rifle, a model 70 Winchester in .30-06. I knew I’d never sell her. So when he asked, “Could this one be mine?” I told him sure, when I die this one will be yours.

P
Hahahaha! We have the same story with my sister, who, when she was little was admiring our grandmother's necklace. Grandma told her that when she goes, that will be hers. My sister became very excited, and immediately asked her when she was going. LOL. grin

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry you lost your pal Bob Shaman, it is truly hard to watch them go. I've lost a lot of friends as I have always made friends with older folks as they're a lot more interesting to talk with and actually have something of value to talk about.

My grandmother lived to be 93 and told me on day that the hardest part of getting old was to watch her friends all die. When my Dad died she had had enough of watching her family and friends die, She gave up and passed 3 months later.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have 1000s of arrowheads that will probably get dumped off at Goodwill.

100,000 miles of walking to pick those somebitches up.

Oh well, least the wife will have a 500$k life insurance payout. No need to worry about plastic remingtons and a couple of marlins.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Oh well, least the wife will have a 500$k life insurance payout. No need to worry about plastic remingtons and a couple of marlins.

Sell them before you go.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

Just sayin

Don't worry renegade will square you up man..

I have a couple that he will get if he outlives me. 😄
He needs to cut down to 1 pack of pall malls at least.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear about your friend, shaman. As you already know, I carry my father's guns and my grandfather's guns, and have already started passing them down to my children.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Sell them before you go.

. . . or at least spend the next 100,000 miles dropping them in the ground for somebody else to find.

If nothing else, donate them to the county museum and take the tax write-off.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those injuns must have been a careless lot. No wonder they lost, they probly ran outa weapons.

LOL
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
shaman, my heartfelt condolences on the loss of your friend. Good on you and others for trying to protect Bob's widow from "vultures."

Lots of good stories here.

I hate a thief. Just hate them on a deep, deep level. I wonder if I hate "vultures" more? At least a thief is "honest" in what he does (an ironic and perhaps poor choice of word), and presumably is not stealing from a friend. But some "vultures" are taking advantage of friends or their loved ones. Who in hell does that?!!!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sorry for the loss of your friend Shaman, but glad to hear how it's working out.

My neighbor (82 yrs old) passed away last fall. Recently, his wife (who he was only married to for the last 15 years) came to me for help with his gun collection. It's a fairly small collection (14 guns), but a few nice guns.
She asked me to appraise them for her. I asked if she was going to give them to his two sons or his grandsons. She told me neither, that she was just going to sell them. I said "oh, are they not into firearms?" She replied that they were, but they were her guns now and she was just going to sell them. Keep in mind that he left her financially secure.

It was at that point that I told her that I wouldn't be able to help her and walked out the door and back to my house.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Sorry for the loss of your friend Shaman, but glad to hear how it's working out.

My neighbor (82 yrs old) passed away last fall. Recently, his wife (who he was only married to for the last 15 years) came to me for help with his gun collection. It's a fairly small collection (14 guns), but a few nice guns.
She asked me to appraise them for her. I asked if she was going to give them to his two sons or his grandsons. She told me neither, that she was just going to sell them. I said "oh, are they not into firearms?" She replied that they were, but they were her guns now and she was just going to sell them. Keep in mind that he left her financially secure.

It was at that point that I told her that I wouldn't be able to help her and walked out the door and back to my house.

Pretty sad that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,916
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.