Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The easiest 'story' for me to recall is

Spearing a Cape. very funny, It had to be dispatched with a rifle and then Capstick said It didn't count because of the final outcome.

Altho he didn't try again. grin.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mudhen
I like to read fiction, but I don't want it passed off as real-life personal experience. For instance, I have been a fan of Skeeter Skelton's writing for a long time, but Skeeter's fiction is easily distinguished from his actual experiences--and I appreciate that.

Next, you will try me the Dobe Grant and Jug Johnson stories were not true!! shocked

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I think it was in Death in the Long Grass where a woman client apparently reacted to malaria medicine or something and started attacking everyone in her sleep. She'd sit on the bed smiling at them, then hurl herself at them with teeth ready to kill. The next morning, she didn't remember a thing. As he put it, 'That's bloody Africa for you. Everything bites.'

Malaria meds? Or, Flakka ??? ... Wife worked in a chemical dependency treatment center, in-patient. Had one patient who was doing absolutely crazy stuff in the middle of the night. They were doing paper work to ship him to a difference facility when they caught him chugging a quart bottle of hand sanitizer (65% alcohol). Apparently, the alcohol got him drunk. And the other stuff in the mix made him bat-chit crazy. Afterwards, when he sobered up and came around again, he would have zero recollection.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by czech1022
I believe the book was called "Death in a Lonely Land". Unfortunately, I don't have a copy and you'd probably have to search an online used bookstore to find one.

It was probably originally a magazine article with a different name, so that might give you a lead for searching for an online version.

Good luck!

There are a bunch of Death in a Lonely Land books for sale on abebooks.com, and some are very cheap.

Last edited by achadwick; 05/28/19. Reason: Fixed typo

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Abe's books is a great source for old material. Since my retirement I've taken to reading of mostly exploration material published in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Those folks had serious courage challenging Antarctica, the open seas, and facing down elephants etc with 4 bore black powder arms, and scavenging grub as they walked the continent. Now days folks jet in, complete a trip, and return in 9 days. Just finishing a read that was 2 plus years in the bush chasing elephants (Neuman, 1898). In that interval he some how survived being crushed and gored and lost troops to crocs etc.

Capstick borrows heavily from earlier material but usually gives some subtle credit when doing so.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/28/19.

1Minute
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I think it was in Death in the Long Grass where a woman client apparently reacted to malaria medicine or something and started attacking everyone in her sleep. She'd sit on the bed smiling at them, then hurl herself at them with teeth ready to kill. The next morning, she didn't remember a thing. As he put it, 'That's bloody Africa for you. Everything bites.'

Malaria meds? Or, Flakka ??? ... Wife worked in a chemical dependency treatment center, in-patient. Had one patient who was doing absolutely crazy stuff in the middle of the night. They were doing paper work to ship him to a difference facility when they caught him chugging a quart bottle of hand sanitizer (65% alcohol). Apparently, the alcohol got him drunk. And the other stuff in the mix made him bat-chit crazy. Afterwards, when he sobered up and came around again, he would have zero recollection.

Larium can cause severe hallucinations and psychotic behavior. Malerone is a much better option for malaria prophylaxis!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Capstick story on pigs was, IIRC, was he went hunting wild boar hunting in South America with some cowboys and dogs. The dogs caught the boar, and PHC was supposed to jump on the boar and stab it to death. Except he was so terrified in the process that he grabbed the pig's tail, and held on without stabbing. Eventually the boar broke loose from the dogs, threw him off, and ran away. When he collected himself and looked up, the gauchos were rolling on the ground laughing.

Eventually, they caught & killed the boar, and gave PHC the tail as a trophy. smile

His funniest story to me was the time he'd acquired a fully-automatic BB gun that was powered by cans of Freon (when Freon was cheap). He was in his backyard, shooting full auto bursts at dragonflies in the air, fantasizing that he was a WWI machine gunner, shooting at biplanes. I hurt my ribs laughing grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Capstick was an entertaining writer. Wasn't the first, or the last. Russell Annabel is another great writer of entertainment.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.