-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I scored some 15 inch ballistic gel blocks yesterday that were going to be wasted after a ballistics demo. It was cold overnight so I ran to the range today with the blocks and some pork chops and pork ribs. I used a cooking thermometer, and the blocks were both at 34 degrees after doing the tests. So, the results should be more valid than some ballistics testing I have seen done in really hot weather.

First up was the Lehigh 115 grain Xtreme Penetrator round fired out of a Sig P365. Buffalo Bore hard cast seems to do fine in all of my Glocks, but it just did not do what I had hoped in this gun in water jugs. I now have my off-pavement load for the Sig. The Xtreme Penetrator averages 1152 fps out of the test gun.

The front material included 4 layers of blue jeans, pork ribs and pork chops. The rear material included 4 layers of blue jeans and one set of pork ribs. Note that you can see the second shot about an inch from exiting the block. The recovered round had a very minor ding on one of the edges. I wish that I had better secured the ribs in the rear, but it doesn't really make a difference given the results of the first shot.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dang!

I noticed it was a bit windy.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Nice test.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

If you have seen any of the other videos I have posted, you will notice that it is very rare to not have noticeable wind. So, that's just normal life for me! smile

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...and no ribs were wasted in the making of this video....

The Underwood order my friend and I made came in while I was out of town...hope to pick them up this afternoon... Got the 90 grain Xtreme Defender in +P+ and some standard pressure for the Ruger LCRs...

I have a S&W 640 2" stainless snubby that has been rechambered to .38 Super.... Ran some of the 90 gr. XD load I carry in the Commander from it Monday and surprisingly they ejected with no effort at all even through they are running 1560 from the Commander and 1660 from a 5" GM... Hoping to do some chronographing soon to see what the velocity loss is...

Thanks for the video...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

If you have seen any of the other videos I have posted, you will notice that it is very rare to not have noticeable wind. So, that's just normal life for me! smile

Yeah, I've hunted WY just a little. We get that same wind, but it's slowed down a little by the distance.

Thanks for the vids, I'll probably buy some of the Underwoods for my LCP based on them.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i was talking to a friend of mine last night. I talked him into a sig p320-m17. he is not exactly unfamilar with firearms given what he does. Among other things having an extensive collection of exotic weapons.
he and some of his buddies fired it this weekend, out to 200yards. All were mighty impressed.
i told him i had some bullets coming in the mail, that LeHigh 90 grain, and the 115 grain.
i thought that with the 21round mag, that was just an awful lot of firepower.
it's gonna be interesting when i load them up.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJM
...and no ribs were wasted in the making of this video....

The Underwood order my friend and I made came in while I was out of town...hope to pick them up this afternoon... Got the 90 grain Xtreme Defender in +P+ and some standard pressure for the Ruger LCRs...

I have a S&W 640 2" stainless snubby that has been rechambered to .38 Super.... Ran some of the 90 gr. XD load I carry in the Commander from it Monday and surprisingly they ejected with no effort at all even through they are running 1560 from the Commander and 1660 from a 5" GM... Hoping to do some chronographing soon to see what the velocity loss is...

Thanks for the video...Bob

You have a need for speed! smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a box sitting on my desk of 10mm underwood, 140grain extreme penetrator, 1500fps. i wonder what they would do?

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

now that just saved me a bunch of money and did what i would want it to do.
no trouble going through a vehicle door panel from what i saw there.
there are several specific jobs i would want it to do, doesn't seem like there would be any problem.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 05/24/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lehigh ammo is impressive. Thanks for posting!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bought the Glock 40 just for a vehicle gun instead of one of the 7.62x39 short rifles... Figured with the 200-220 HC or the Underwood ammo it will cut through windshield glass and doors about as effectively in a package that is much handier to hide.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
rjm
i have a six inch barrel for the glock 20, bet that would bump up that velocity a little from the 1500fps.
then there is the buckeye special blackhawk in 10mm with that 7inch tube, that is gonna have to be chrony'd.
Originally Posted by RJM
Bought the Glock 40 just for a vehicle gun instead of one of the 7.62x39 short rifles... Figured with the 200-220 HC or the Underwood ammo it will cut through windshield glass and doors about as effectively in a package that is much handier to hide.

i don't disagree with you, but a underfolder ak47 with two or three mags makes a good companion in the desert.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
by the way underwood started a memorial day sale today.
ordered 41 magnum 150grain i think, about 1700fps
the 357magnum 140grain
and the 38special, 100 grain at 1000fps.
i have a couple of blackhawks with the 7inch tubes that 41 mag should be awesome.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
rjm
i have a six inch barrel for the glock 20, bet that would bump up that velocity a little from the 1500fps.
then there is the buckeye special blackhawk in 10mm with that 7inch tube, that is gonna have to be chrony'd.

I'd really like to see your chrono results when you're able to compare those two with the same ammo. Please post them?
It'd be interesting to see the comparison with hot 200gr cast and also with something light like the 140 Lehigh. My initial guess is that you won't see much velocity difference between the two with the 200gr but maybe a little faster in the Buckeye with the 140, but the numbers will tell for sure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,410
Posts18,470,373
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.