Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kota Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
How accurate are they, dependable, Value. Got one coming up in an auction. Want some info so I can decide if I should buy it or not. Like the .35's, just not sure about this particular rifle.

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve never had one but I have looked at a few. I wouldn’t expect it to be more than an economy gun. Which may not necessarily be a bad thing. Some say the 35 feeds better than the 30-30.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They rattle. Like a 20" stingray bike with a banana seat and a string of pop cans following behind.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned a couple Savage 170s in 35 REM and several in 30-30. Still have one in 35 REM and two in 30-30.

The forearms rattle a bit, but they are typically 2(ish) MOA shooters with factory ammo, plenty accurate for a woods range 30-30 or 35 REM.

If I wanted to hunt with a pump gun in 35 REM, I'd rather have a Remington 14, 141, 760, or 7600, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to hunt with a Savage 170 if the price was right.

K
Kota Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
What would be a decent price for it, (buying). $300?

Fireball2 - Love the imagery of your rattle description. makes me think of gravel roads and summertime.

260guy - I agree about the Rem 14. First gun I ever bought, at an auction, when I was 14. Traded it the next week for a Rem 721 in 30-06 with a 4-12 Redfield scope on it. It's been a great rifle and killed a pile of critters, but I always wished I kept that model 14

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
$300 out the door would be the absolute top end for one of these and it would have to be in pretty great condition. One thing to look at when buying a gun at an auction is to see who is paying the auctioneer's fee. Some have a buyer's fee of up to 15% added on to the closing price. That can change the dynamics of a purchase, even more if one has to pay taxes and transfer fees. One of the auction houses I frequent has a gun sale a couple times a year. They have a 15% buyer's fee and sell guns of their own on which one has to pay sales tax as well as consignment where you don't. They don't say which is which in the program- "smart" bidders ask in regards to the guns they are interested in before hand or wait for the item to come up when the auctioneer states if it is consignment or not.

The few I've seen have been priced in the $250 range and sat for quite a while before they were discounted and sold. Actual selling price was in the $200 range for a gun that saw some use. I have wanted one to play with but I never happened on one in 35 Rem for under $200 which is my ceiling. It's been 3-4 years since I saw one but I doubt the prices have risen much in that time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
$300 out the door would be the absolute top end for one of these and it would have to be in pretty great condition. One thing to look at when buying a gun at an auction is to see who is paying the auctioneer's fee. Some have a buyer's fee of up to 15% added on to the closing price. That can change the dynamics of a purchase, even more if one has to pay taxes and transfer fees. One of the auction houses I frequent has a gun sale a couple times a year. They have a 15% buyer's fee and sell guns of their own on which one has to pay sales tax as well as consignment where you don't. They don't say which is which in the program- "smart" bidders ask in regards to the guns they are interested in before hand or wait for the item to come up when the auctioneer states if it is consignment or not.

The few I've seen have been priced in the $250 range and sat for quite a while before they were discounted and sold. Actual selling price was in the $200 range for a gun that saw some use. I have wanted one to play with but I never happened on one in 35 Rem for under $200 which is my ceiling. It's been 3-4 years since I saw one but I doubt the prices have risen much in that time.

Savage 170s in 35 REM are a lot less common than those in 30-30 everywhere that I've trolled for guns, so I'd expect the prices to be up to 50% more for a 35 REM than what you'd pay for a comparable 30-30.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Savage 170s in 35 REM are pretty scarce, but give me a 760 in 35 REM anytime

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Savage 170s in 35 REM are a lot less common than those in 30-30 everywhere that I've trolled for guns, so I'd expect the prices to be up to 50% more for a 35 REM than what you'd pay for a comparable 30-30.

The post was regarding this model in 35 Rem and that was what I was referencing. The linked rifles had one sold at $335 with only two bids which isn't a lot of activity while the other is started at $400 with no bids so my estimation seems to be relatively accurate. I would be interested in the motivation of the buyer and what they thought later.

The 30/30 actually gets a bit more and sells faster in this region as the ammo is common, inexpensive, and people around here are very familiar with the cartridge. This gun is not common in either cartridge but from my experiences I feel pretty confident in my price recommendation.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If i were going to buy a 35 Rem pump I'd be looking for a Remington Model 14.

You could chase me with a Model 170 at any price.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The post was regarding this model in 35 Rem and that was what I was referencing. The linked rifles had one sold at $335 with only two bids which isn't a lot of activity while the other is started at $400 with no bids so my estimation seems to be relatively accurate. I would be interested in the motivation of the buyer and what they thought later.

The 30/30 actually gets a bit more and sells faster in this region as the ammo is common, inexpensive, and people around here are very familiar with the cartridge. This gun is not common in either cartridge but from my experiences I feel pretty confident in my price recommendation.

OK, you win.

The 170 in 35 REM that sold for $335 looks kinda rough to me, note the chip out of the stock on the left side of the tang. Seldom a good idea to buy a firearm via GB with crappy pictures and a no returns policy. IME crappy pictures may be a seller's attempt to hide some flaw(s).

Last edited by 260Remguy; 05/24/19. Reason: Added comment
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 99guy
If i were going to buy a 35 Rem pump I'd be looking for a Remington Model 14.

You could chase me with a Model 170 at any price.

I have a really nice 141 in 35 REM, too nice to d&t for scope bases, and I've owned a couple of 760s in 35 REM, but they were 1950's vintage rifles with low combs that weren't very handy for scope use. The 170s aren't prefect, but they are reasonably accurate, 2 MOAish with factory ammo. I paid $225 for a 95% house brand 170, a West Point 474B, in 2017. I cut the barrel back to 17" to make it bit shorter/handier. Shoots the 150 grain Winchester/Olin Deer Season XP 30-30 factory ammo about 1.5 MOA and FED/REM/WIN/ 170 grain factory ammo about 2 MOA. Makes a great behind the back seat rifle for my Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.