-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a pretty cool Netflix series on Everest. Wonder what it costs? Close to $200K I would guess.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is what it looked like:

That's crazy.

https://i.iheart.com/v3/re/new_assets/5ce8083441b3e30421a3b702?ops=max(650,0),quality(80)

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Wife lost her cousin on that mountain some years ago. They wrote a book and made a movie about it. He was a guide with a lot of experience, but rich thrill seekers without that experience were his Achilles heel. He's still up there. He left a wife and two kids.

Rob Hall?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
They're freaking nuts.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
At least I died doing what I looooooooooooooooooo................

and a minute later.......................oooooooooooooooove SPLAT!

grin grin grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
This is what it looked like:

That's crazy.

https://i.iheart.com/v3/re/new_assets/5ce8083441b3e30421a3b702?ops=max(650,0),quality(80)

Looks like that would suck.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Got a chance to talk to a couple guys who climbed Everest on different occasions. One said he initially thought it was great but as the years went by after the climb he began to notice his memory was not what it was pre-climb and figured the time spent in oxygen debt while in the "death zone" did more damage to his brain than he would have liked and was concerned about future dementia issues as he got older.

The other told the tale of spending a night at the last camp before his summit push puking into a cook pot and spewing diarrhea from the other end, his butt sticking out the tent door while 60+ MPH winds lashed his naked tenders and a$$.
Now THAT sounded like fun!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have no need to prove anything to myself or others.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have no need to prove anything to myself or others.

P

Me neither. Climbing Mt. Everest has absolutely zero benefit to mankind and doesn’t impress me at all. Those that have been of service to their neighbor, friends, church, etc are far more impressive than some liberal taking advantage of an entire culture by appropriating them to be their porters. It’s no longer a feat of epic proportions like it was for Norgay or Whittaker, it’s simply a logistical nightmare that if everything cooperates translates into a long walk uphill in an oxygen depleted environment.

Unfortunately the infusion of western money that’s paid for the privilege of “climbing” the mountain is the largest source of revenue for Nepal and the communities that support the “climbers” so they’ve become dependent upon that for survival. I have a lot of respect for the Sherpas and the life they’ve scratched out in such a harsh and unforgiving environment.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's a big bonus for Nepal. The permit fees alone this season were $4.4 million. That's 400 climbers at $11k each. Then there's all that money the tourists spend for guides, lodging, transportation, etc. It's a major industry for Nepal for sure.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I seen a movie where the guy lived in school bus and played with bears, then one day they ate him.

I believe thats 2 difffrent movies. Treadwll and I can't recall the others name right now.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'd rather go hunt cape buff or grizzly with a bow

Those two with a bow are on my list. Likely the buff won't happen as I have zero desire to ever see Africa in general, though that could change.

The grizz, well I"ll take a brown with a gun first..

And I'd love to climb Denali though I don't see that happening ever. But I am just happy with the chance to see the mountain every day while working. Even about to get ready to leave to take a flight tour with K2 Aviation here in a bit. Hope it clears some, but its my only chance currently.

Everest, I could see that too in a way. But I'd think the folks like me that would like to do a few like that, wouldn't care for how commercial it is now. I'm sure Denali may be similar. I know the climb window is very short. I was amazed that the flights to base camp are only about 600 bucks up to 125 pounds of gear.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read the book "into thin air", after that I had no desire to try and climb everest. I think one of the movies was based on that book, but the book was 10x better. It's looks like its a bigger CF every year.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Everest is the highest and certainly very dangerous, but there are plenty of others more dangerous.

The marketing concerning Everest is very powerful in peoples minds,

I knew a woman who did Everest twice, but died on another much less talked about 8000 + m peak.

The sad thing about Everest is the amount of people that increase the danger,
ie; its not just man against the mountain.

IIRC, Thing she said about Everest, ..."Going up is optional , coming down is mandatory'

26,000 plus feet is not a mild peak.Even if less talked about

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JeffyD
You don't have to travel halfway around the planet to die on a mountain: Mt. McKinley, Alaska, summer of 1967 - the Wilcox Expedition. Seven members reached the top but were caught in a wicked storm on the way down. Never found, they're still up there. I bought the book, "The Hall of the Mountain King", by survivor Howard Snyder, in 1975 and it still resides in my book case.

Denali. Please. Yep, just a nit to pick.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Wife lost her cousin on that mountain some years ago. They wrote a book and made a movie about it. He was a guide with a lot of experience, but rich thrill seekers without that experience were his Achilles heel. He's still up there. He left a wife and two kids.

Rob Hall?

Scott Fischer. His mom was the salt of the earth and really sort of encouraged Scott in his endeavors. His daughter Katie is a nurse now and I think his son Andy might be in the music business.

The movie was kind of loose with Scott's portrayal. Scott was a VERY skilled climber - one of the best ever. Did the Matterhorn, K2 (which he thought was harder than Everest), and Everest without O2, plus a bunch of others. There's a video on youtube he made a few days before that ascent saying his job was to get his clients to summit and keep them alive. He died doing the latter. He went back and forth between camps and clients. He started getting sick. There were back-ups on the mountain and he was late getting to the top. Weather hit on his way down and that was it. If it was every man for himself above the dead zone, he'd be alive today.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffyD
You don't have to travel halfway around the planet to die on a mountain: Mt. McKinley, Alaska, summer of 1967 - the Wilcox Expedition. Seven members reached the top but were caught in a wicked storm on the way down. Never found, they're still up there. I bought the book, "The Hall of the Mountain King", by survivor Howard Snyder, in 1975 and it still resides in my book case.

You can get killed much closer to home, true. Three of the world's best alpine climbers were killed on Howse Peak in Alberta last month, they perished in an avalanche.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by centershot
There is a pretty cool Netflix series on Everest. Wonder what it costs? Close to $200K I would guess.

$65K in 1996

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's an entreprenuerial money making business for risk-takers who are willing to sign climbers on for the adventure who have money in their pockets.

nothing socially beneficial about it, once it was originally climbed. but, it's a fun thing to tell folks you climbed Everest, at least that's what i believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've worked with three people that summited Everest.

Never met anyone that completed the Pac Trail.

I'd rather do the PCT. It honestly seems more impressive.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (BALLISTIK, BamaJoe, Anaconda, 300_savage, Aero, 6 invisible), 1,205 guests, and 875 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,139
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.