Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This happened to me at a high mountain lake in Colorado maybe 40 years ago. It was a Cessna Skymaster equipped with bomb-bay doors. Was peppered with fingerling trout.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder what the kill rate is.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was walking through the woods in the uintas and saw a bunch of fish in the ground. Figured the guy missed the lake.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having dropped a few things from airplanes in my time, it is probably surprisingly difficult to hit smaller lakes with fingerling trout. Unless you have a spotter, it is hard to see straight down and gauge the moment of release. Then there is the wind, which has to affect those lightweight little critters a lot.

The worst impact on the fish would be the first moments of the drop, where their airspeed is highest. As soon as drag slows them down, they would fall at a much lower speed. Hitting the water would be a lower impact than that first second or two of the drop.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, I've seen fish die just from being chucked back into a pond. Can't imagine this is much more gentle.

It also surprises me how often they are stocking. Wouldn't think those remote lakes would experience that much fishing pressure.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Heck, I've seen fish die just from being chucked back into a pond. Can't imagine this is much more gentle.

It also surprises me how often they are stocking. Wouldn't think those remote lakes would experience that much fishing pressure.

Whirling disease.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Right out of the Russian Tactical book, this is how they dropped soldiers into the snow during WWII. Survival crate isn’t as important and getting them there...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Former employee of mine just got hired on by Utah, and this is part of what he does.

Virtually no mortality. Fingerlings aren't that heavy, so they never gain that much speed. Those lakes are often pretty marginal for winter survival because they are iced over so long. 7, 8 months of ice cover and no food is no an ideal environment for fish. Second, though human pressure is usually rather low, there's lots of other predation in high lakes. One eagle or osprey will take the population down to near zero if they nest nearby.

Whirling disease is really a non issue for alpine lakes. Very few are infected, and if they are, whirling disease on the west slope is much less problematic on the west slopes than on the east slopes of the Rockies. We think it has something to do with the species of tubifex worms that act as intermediate host to the parasite not being as susceptible.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was canoeing on a Canadian lake years ago when a plane flew over and dropped little trout. Several landed inside our canoe, and many on the water around us. We did not see a single dead one on the surface after the drop. I did see several that hit the water, lay on their side for a very few seconds as if stunned, and then vigorously swam down into the lake.

Last edited by Okanagan; 05/24/19. Reason: typo
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They do that here to stock the remote Adirondack lakes.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Why bother stocking sterile lakes?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Former employee of mine just got hired on by Utah, and this is part of what he does.

Virtually no mortality. Fingerlings aren't that heavy, so they never gain that much speed. Those lakes are often pretty marginal for winter survival because they are iced over so long. 7, 8 months of ice cover and no food is no an ideal environment for fish. Second, though human pressure is usually rather low, there's lots of other predation in high lakes. One eagle or osprey will take the population down to near zero if they nest nearby.

Whirling disease is really a non issue for alpine lakes. Very few are infected, and if they are, whirling disease on the west slope is much less problematic on the west slopes than on the east slopes of the Rockies. We think it has something to do with the species of tubifex worms that act as intermediate host to the parasite not being as susceptible.

So.....very few people fish for them and those that don't die off in the winter are eaten by predators yet we keep restocking them.

Your tax dollars at work.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I wonder what the kill rate is.

I've wondered the same thing. The fish hit the water at perhaps 50 MPH (forward speed combined with falling speed); they've got to be at least stunned.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Dutch

So.....very few people fish for them and those that don't die off in the winter are eaten by predators yet we keep restocking them.
Your tax dollars at work

This was my first thought.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've stocked sockeyes by plane in AK. When dropped from a lower height there is mortality due to the high rate of speed when they hit the water, and they don't orient themselves headfirst into the water. From higher up (100' or so) there is virtually no mortality at all.

[Linked Image]

This is the viewing window the pilot has so he can see how the fish are doing.

[Linked Image]

Here's a shot of the fry going into the plane. You can see the air lines that run from a tank under the pilots seat to air stones mounted inside the tank in the plane. If the pilot sees the fish starting to get sluggish he can give them a shot of O2.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Learn sumtin new every day!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What Hank said. The terminal velocity of a fingerling (after it decelerates from plane speed) is very low - on the order of a few feet per second. Probably no more than if they were dropped from 15 feet or so. Slower than the water they dropped with, in fact, because they have a higher drag factor than a sphere of water.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fly fishing snobs you see carefully cradling their precious trout during release . . . who gently move them back and forth to move water across their gills before they swim off . . . who gasp in horror at anyone "tossing" a trout back into the water . . . now those guys would have a heart attack if they saw this. grin

Here is a video of a guy who runs a business called Fireboxstove.com. He is from Utah and has many Youtube videos of his trips up to these remote lakes where he catches his dinner and cooks them up on his camping gear.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Great thread.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.