-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had never been in a Goodwill until a few days ago. While helping my recently graduated son find some furniture for his new apartment we came across an Amish made oak coffee table for $30. It had some finish wear but the construction was top notch. He and a friend put a bit of time into a refinish and it looks fantastic now.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Younger daughter is Director for Clothing Closet in her county. No charge to clients. Open to everyone. They actually take in more clothing than they can give away. Regularly receive stacks of new clothing with tags still attached.

Once or twice a year, they put on a "yard sale" event. All the clothes that you cram into a large brown shopping bag for $1 per bag. While their clients are normally women with children, during the yard sale, they get a significant number of men who are not willing to take "free" clothes. But, who are willing to take a shopping bag full that they can pay for. Even if only $1.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I enjoy "thrift stores". Mostly I get books, but I browse around and will from time to time find something else. I feel that they serve a number of good purposes.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They have an auction site so you don't even have to leave the house unless it's local then you have to go pick up what you win. Lot's of fishing stuff.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Back when I was in my 40's and earlier, I wore 32 waist pants,....then 34,...then 36,...now I'm at 38.

I accumulated vast quantities of pants that wouldn't fit any longer. When we moved I hauled 6 or 7 big plastic yard bags of clothes to Goodwill.

There's nothing wrong with buying clothes at Goodwill. The money they take in is what supports the place.

I've recently discovered elastic waist, light denim jeans with belt loops from a place online and that's all I want to wear any longer. I'll probably be hauling all of my typical pants down there soon.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The more affluent the areas the better you'll do.

My dad has found TWO Weber Genesis grills and gave $30 for one, $40 for the other. They were practically brand new.

And when you drop clothes off that blank receipt is pretty nice...

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I go to Goodwill all the time. Went just yesterday. Found an Adirondack chair in great shape for $20. The chair appears to be pretty old, but well constructed, tight, and in good shape. A few scratches here and there, but for sitting on the back porch looking at the mountains, it will be perfect.

I buy all kinds of stuff at Goodwill and thrift shops type stores. Some nice stuff and quality antiques can be found.

Buying clothes really doesn't bother me. I was one of 8 kids, didn't have a lot, and always had hand me down clothes, so what the hell - I have been wearing someone else's clothes my whole life.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Windfall
While I applaud hiring the people at Goodwill, it miffs me some that the Goodwill owners are multi millionaires.
Incorrect. Each local Goodwill is semi-independent (think semi franchise) and operates the programs that best serve their local community. They are all non-profits and nobody "owns" them.
I know some people here don't like snopes.com, but they used Charity Navigator and Guide Star as references, and those are both well regarded organizations.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/executive-salaries-charities/

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was going to post a question but i discovered my answer and deleted it

I guess they do hire a few people that arent "special" to handle the money.

My other question would be: do the few normal people pick thru the super-good shït and take it home before it hits the floor?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by slumlord

My other question would be: do the few normal people pick thru the super-good shït and take it home before it hits the floor?
No. Most Goodwills have strict policies that you can't shop in your own store.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Back when I was in my 40's and earlier, I wore 32 waist pants,....then 34,...then 36,...now I'm at 38.

I accumulated vast quantities of pants that wouldn't fit any longer. When we moved I hauled 6 or 7 big plastic yard bags of clothes to Goodwill.

There's nothing wrong with buying clothes at Goodwill. The money they take in is what supports the place.

I've recently discovered elastic waist, light denim jeans with belt loops from a place online and that's all I want to wear any longer. I'll probably be hauling all of my typical pants down there soon.

Pretty soon, you'll just be wearin stretchy-pants to the Golden Corral laugh

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Pretty soon, you'll just be wearin stretchy-pants to the Golden Corral laugh

I bought these jeans so I'd have something other than pajamas to wear.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never been in one, but I buy used Wrangler blue jean shirts for welding on eBay. I get them real cheap sometimes.

I hit the goodwill and other thrift stores all the time. I buy every long sleeve denim shirt I can find in my size to wear welding. They don't last to long. 2 or 3 bucks is usually the going price.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I was in Durango Colorado a couple of years ago and there was a second hand clothing store there,..pretty nice stuff.

Somebody who was a Tommy Bahama enthusiast must have died and his shirt collection was there. they had several Tommy Bahama silk hawaiian shirts. Those things go for $100+ each. I bought 3 of them for $15 each.

They're my "steppin' out" shirts.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Pretty soon, you'll just be wearin stretchy-pants to the Golden Corral Trough laugh

fixed it

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
As far as "merchandise" goes, they seem to be the best of the bunch, however IMO they exhibit anti-2A tendencies. Here in Georgia you are allowed to carry anywhere on private property EXCEPT where they post a sign that says no.

Around here (North Georgia) at least, they make a point of posting the front doors of their establishments with "no guns allowed" signage. Is this a corporate wide policy?

IMO, this seeming disregard for security as well as infringement of civil rights is enough for me to lose interest in patronizing the brand.

Anyone else notice this?

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Not here in Michigan. Each local Goodwill makes their own policies. There are 3 separate ones in Georgia-Macon, Atlanta and Columbus. Maybe you should try talking to them and get them to change it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
As far as "merchandise" goes, they seem to be the best of the bunch, however IMO they are anti-gun. Here in Georgia you are allowed to carry anywhere on private property EXCEPT where they post a sign that says no.

Around here at least, they make a point of posting the front doors of their establishments with "no guns allowed" signage. I have seen the signs posted this way consistently times that I suspect is a corporate wide policy.

IMO, this blatant disregard for security as well as infringement of civil rights is enough for me to lose interest in patronizing the brand.

Anyone else notice this?

My wife has drug me into dozens of them, and I've yet to seen a gunbuster sign.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JeffyD
A few years ago, I was helping a family friend clean out her house when she put it on the market. Took a pickup load to Goodwill. Among her late husband's stuff were about a dozen pricey dress shirts, most still with the tags. An elderly black man approached the truck and timidly said he'd sure like to have one. Told him to hold out his arms, and handed him the whole bunch. The old guy's smile and gratitude were priceless. Sorry 'bout that, Goodwill!

I would call that "good will'.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Last couple Good Will finds:
A $4.00 toaster oven for curing powder coated bullets.
A $5.00 heavy tripod for large digital camera or chronograph. Not sure of the brand, but it has a gold crown emblem trademark on it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,570 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.