Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I would schit can the side business idea.

One place I worked for many years, the electrical techs could put in as much overtime as they could stand. Time and a half past 40 hours, double time on Sunday.

They didn't need a side job.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
First things first.

Work as bloody hard as you can. Several jobs. Save every thing.

Do NOT treat yourself to ANYTHING.

Do not start a family.

Then when he is old and worn out....and alone...he can kick back and enjoy life a little.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
First things first.

Work as bloody hard as you can. Several jobs. Save every thing.

Do NOT treat yourself to ANYTHING.

Do not start a family.

Then when he is old and worn out....and alone...he can kick back and enjoy life a little.

The American dream!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Oh and keep the idea of branching out on his own to himself. Regardless of what he wants to do.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
His first priority is to learn his trade as best as he can. He needs to decide if he's going to be a residential electrician or a Commercial electrican. Develop a side hustle around that. Every young man needs a side hustle, especially while he's young. That's where he'll really learn the trade. Maybe work commercial and do residential as a side hustle. Take that into being a handy man, add plumbing and other skills. A GOOD handyman is very much in demand. Bring along another guy or two teaching them the trade and grow the business. Treat them fair, pay them well and make them want to stay with him. Grow the business. He will become an entrepreneur before he knows it.

I've got a brother in law that was a lineman. He isn't worth shooting. If he was I'm sure his wife would have shot him long before now. He's so focused on one very small part of the business, he can't change a light in his own house. He isn't capable of doing anything but that one nitch job. How valuable is he??? He isn't!!! He isn't well round or willing to learn anything. Blind spots will get you run over.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've never seen an apprenticeship that left a young man enough time or energy to run a side gig, if he has time to burn he has time to double done on classes.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
He sounds like a we’ll grounded young man!!

Always a good idea for an electrician to be well grounded.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
HVAC. Needed seasonally but two seasons a year.

I been in I.T. The past 40+ years while my skill set had to change many times there are 3 areas we have needed the entire time.

First, every data center, computer room, etc. needs cooling and we keep our HVAC vendor busy 365 days a year and that’s not changing any time soon.

Second, electrical and UPS service is also a constant need, cannot run computers with out it.

Last is a newer item but electric related Solar Systems. When you talk solar most think home use but the company I work for has spent well over10 millions dollars on Solar systems at our call centers making enough power to support thousands of desktops and other equipment every day. Even after installation some one needs to maintain these high priced systems.

While programming and other technical duties continue to go to remote over seas outfits these 3 areas will be needed in the USA.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would schit can the side business idea.

Agree. Get in as many hours as he can doing electrical stuff to get through the electrical program as fast as possible. Take every hour they give you.

Along the way pick as many tools as you can and make connections with those that might need his services someday. Lay the ground work for starting his own business once he is licensed and a journeyman.

He picked a great trade to get into. Sounds like a great kid! Good on you for setting him up right.

Last edited by Lonny; 05/26/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
He will have to get journeyman license, then masters to start his own business,

Yep, he has many years to go before he can legally take off on his own, moonlighting side jobs prior to being licensed to do so can cost him what ever stage of license he has at the time.

Chase the money, don't get regionally bound. The traveling industrial electrical teams is where the money is at..7/12's are a minimum be prepared for more. Journeyman's, Masters, Administrator's license are based on hours, they come more quickly when you are doing 100 hour plus weeks.

The best way not to get stuck in the rut of drilling holes in 2x4's and roping residential is to never start it...

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I were 18 again, I'd not be married. I would dispel any notion of doing that!

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I wouldn't recommend a thing -- you've already got him on the track to figure it out himself. WAY better than waiting on someone else's ideas. 2 cents here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thought I posted this earlier. Rodeo harder, make it to the NFR.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd start here
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
I'd start here
[Linked Image]

Wish I was 18 and knew what I know now.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pay myself first...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd start here
[Linked Image]

Great minds and all that.

First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. I'd chase A LOT more wimmins. And probably catch a lot more too.

Geno

PS, I prefer brunettes and redheads, though blondies would work.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'd start here
[Linked Image]

What I know now that would be lost on the list.
Good grief, probably have a 95% chance of getting a divorce then here having 50% of everything you ever make the rest of your life.
That don’t sound fun.....oh maybe for the first few years but after that’s over.....nah.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'd start here
[Linked Image]

Wish I was 18 and knew what I know now.

If you want to chase women, learn to dance. He will have to beat the women off with a stick. Wifey has told me I never would have gotten the time of day if it wasn’t for that. She looked as good as the girl in the pic when I met her.

A good woman can help a guy go into business with a good job to help pick up the slack in the lean times, carry health insurance etc.

Last edited by hanco; 05/26/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nebraska, I wish the boy good luck and a productive career.

Personally, having worked some construction in the early days and having brothers who are still in it, I'd recommend getting the journeyman card and looking for a (sensitive folks cover their ears) government type job.

My next youngest brother want through carpenter's apprenticeship in SoCal many years ago, got married, started having kids, then the whole industry down there went non-union low wage immigrant workers. Now, his only retirement is basically Social Security. The vagaries of the construction industry didn't leave much left over for a guy living in SoCal with two kids, and getting laid off semi regular, to invest in any kind of retirement fund. And of course, he wanted to stay around his kids, even after the divorce.

My youngest brother went a different route. Electrical journeyman, worked for a few larger outfits, saw the writing on the wall about layoffs, got his contractors license so he could do side jobs, then he got a job at the local University. He's pretty well set, has a place across the river in AZ, sold their place to the daughter and son in law, lving in an RV park for year or two more while the wife is over in AZ, goes there on weekends. Has a good retirement and can still do electrical jobs if needed.

My old man did the same sort of thing. Machinist in the ship yards in SoCal, tired of getting laid off every year or two, went to work at the University, good insurance and retirement, was able to leave mom in good financial shape when he passed.

Me, when I got out of the University I considered working for a few private companies, but ended up working for .gov. Glad I did too, even with having to deal with the asshats there and the red tape etc. I had decent insurance (certainly not platinum level) and I ended up with a decent retirement because I put every extra dollar into the .gov version of a 401K (No guaranteed retirement pension where I worked, one had to invest if one wanted a decent balance at the end, just like in the private world)

Again, I wish the kid luck. Don't know where you live, but a good electrician can make a really decent living working at BPA, Fed, or other hydro powerplants, and likely at the non-hydro ones. And the writing is on the wall as old willys put it, solar and wind aren't going anywhere soon. Learn that stuff and likely he'll do alright.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 31 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,022
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.