Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
We don’t count eyeguards either, I know even in Idaho they count em.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Don't kid yourself, there are still big deer out there. I shot this one on the way to the range...

[Linked Image]

What does that buck score,Shrapnel?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Don't kid yourself, there are still big deer out there. I shot this one on the way to the range...

[Linked Image]

What does that buck score,Shrapnel?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Big mule deer bucks are a particular interest of mine, when I say big I mean in horn mass.
They live up where I like to be on the mountain and have killed them in the vicinity of mountain goats. I would love to hunt Desert Mulies one day and is on my bucket list.
Anyone remember a guy named Kirk Darner?
This was from the 70's or 80's, I believe he lived in Colorado. His bucks were often pictured in Outdoor Life etc. Massive, wide , heavy B&C bucks.Just wondering

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by comerade
Big mule deer bucks are a particular interest of mine, when I say big I mean in horn mass.
They live up where I like to be on the mountain and have killed them in the vicinity of mountain goats. I would love to hunt Desert Mulies one day and is on my bucket list.
Anyone remember a guy named Kirk Darner?
This was from the 70's or 80's, I believe he lived in Colorado. His bucks were often pictured in Outdoor Life etc. Massive, wide , heavy B&C bucks.Just wondering

I might be wrong but I thought he was a Poacher

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Dunno if he was as much a poacher, as a lying scammer. Bought horns claiming he killed em etc....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wonder if he was always that way or if it was something that developed to feed his ego after he'd achieved a bit of stardom in the hunting community?

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't know much about Darner either but he got quite a bit of press at the time.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman

That makes NO sense to me......WTH is wrong with you Westerners? laugh What are points there for, to be ignored??????

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That makes NO sense to me......WTH is wrong with you Westerners? laugh What are points there for, to be ignored??????

But the books measure "air". LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ha!!! Good point (pun intended)!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
🤣🤣

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Wonder if he was always that way or if it was something that developed to feed his ego after he'd achieved a bit of stardom in the hunting community?

Dunno remember as a kid full page advertisements of darner and a rem 700 bdl 7 mag, seen him at sportsman shows etc..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I believe that Darner worked for the Dept of Wildlife in CO, or in some State capacity, and was always in the field. He did know a lot about big mule deer because he was around them every day. The guy I hunted in Sonora, MX with actually was involved in the Darner investigations, actively, and he told me all about it. I had been a big Darner believer and was pretty stunned actually. Turns out Darner either shot most all of those big bucks out of season, or it was even proven he bought some of those antlers from very old timers that killed monster bucks back in the 30's and '40's when there were virtually no pictures. As luck would have it there was an old pic or two of some massive bucks killed by these old timers that Darner wound up with, mounted on new capes, and claimed he killed them. He was stripped of all of his numerous B&C entries because of his poaching and lying. His desire for fame and fortune got the best of him.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
It got worse, when Darner moved to New Mexico....

https://www.denverpost.com/2008/07/11/trophy-hunters-honor-tarnished/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The genes are still there.

Seen one hanging in the Idaho Meat Market in Susanville Ca.was 285lbs dressed in the early 90's. Old deer as well not in its prime.

I'm sure them Alberta and Saskatchewan mules used to get huge.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I believe that Darner worked for the Dept of Wildlife in CO, or in some State capacity, and was always in the field. He did know a lot about big mule deer because he was around them every day. The guy I hunted in Sonora, MX with actually was involved in the Darner investigations, actively, and he told me all about it. I had been a big Darner believer and was pretty stunned actually. Turns out Darner either shot most all of those big bucks out of season, or it was even proven he bought some of those antlers from very old timers that killed monster bucks back in the 30's and '40's when there were virtually no pictures. As luck would have it there was an old pic or two of some massive bucks killed by these old timers that Darner wound up with, mounted on new capes, and claimed he killed them. He was stripped of all of his numerous B&C entries because of his poaching and lying. His desire for fame and fortune got the best of him.

I remember reading about him as a kid, in fact I met him at a sportsmans show back in the late 70's or early 80's maybe. Anyway, I went up to his display and bought his book and had him sign it. Its says, To Frank "Good luck hunting" Kirt Darner. Guess it takes more than good luck to kill all those big bucks crazy Its a pretty good book though for when it was written.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Did a quick search and not too much information, more on whitetails than muley's. Both have had verified weights of of over 430-60 lbs. field dressed so a live weight of over 500 lbs. which I can't even imagine. There are reports of huge Merriams elk but hard to verify and unless you go back to fossil records of Irish elk not much to prove the monster size stories.

I would bet there is some confusion in the old accounts with elk and moose but who knows.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Me and everyone in my circles call so horns too, guess we're just a buncha country bumpkins.... Grin

Me and my buds do too Jud. smile

Johnny, out West we only count one side of the horns, too. Probably because counting past 5 would require a diploma. 😎

Or our schools teach math.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Me and everyone in my circles call so horns too, guess we're just a buncha country bumpkins.... Grin

Me and my buds do too Jud. smile

Johnny, out West we only count one side of the horns, too. Probably because counting past 5 would require a diploma. 😎

Or our schools teach math.

If you taught math you'd count all the points!! grin

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 80 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.