Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s a lot of internet jabber....

There’s places for a 30-30 and places for a long range ultra wizbang...they just ain’t quite the same places.

HR IC

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Geedubya: Over the last seven years ALL of my shots on Big Game have been WAY OVER 150 yards!
The average I am guesstimating is just a tad over 350 yards.
Leica Laser Rangefinder sure helps me along with my flat shooting Sendero in 270 Winchester and my Remington 700 in 7m/m Remington Magnum - both with LOTS of scope power.
Its tough these days to get shots at mature male Big Game Animals in mostly open country and public lands.
I prepare and am a VERY patient Hunter.
Been rather successful.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mostly I hunt mule deer, Washington & Wyoming.

I'd say the majority of my shots on deer have been 150 - 350 yards.

A couple farther, a few closer.

Guy

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
5% or less although I hear there are new chamberings that will make me a 1000 yard shooter just by picking them up. grin

Last edited by DoeDumper; 05/28/19.
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
The first time I went out west hunting, I was sitting glassing a hillside. Thinking to myself that I could shoot across there if needed. Then I saw ants moving on that hillside which turned out to be a herd of elk. A quick rethink was definitely in order.

Last edited by JDK; 05/28/19.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Geedubya: Over the last seven years ALL of my shots on Big Game have been WAY OVER 150 yards!
The average I am guesstimating is just a tad over 350 yards.
Leica Laser Rangefinder sure helps me along with my flat shooting Sendero in 270 Winchester and my Remington 700 in 7m/m Remington Magnum - both with LOTS of scope power.
Its tough these days to get shots at mature male Big Game Animals in mostly open country and public lands.
I prepare and am a VERY patient Hunter.
Been rather successful.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG,
Long time, no talk.
Best to you and yours.
In no way do I denigrate folks that take longer pokes than I. I’d bet that should I inhabit such climes, I’d do the same.

Many times it seems I’m guilty of succumbing to the dreaded LCD (lowest common denominator). I’ve mentioned, ad nauseum I’m sure, that the nature of the terrain and flora are such that unless one has a known point of impact, and can not find blood within say 10 feet of that known point of impact, usually one’s quarry is lost to the temperature by day and the vermin that inhabit the night.

So although I get significant gratification when I hear the “whop” of the bullet impact on flesh, I get much more gratification when I recover said flesh and later on consume it.

Anywho, your mention your Leica Rangefinder. Even though I usually shoot at known distances(which I know because I ranged them) two things that are in my pack at all times when afield, are my Leica Binocs and my Leica range-finder.

[Linked Image]

An aside.
I figure I’m about as good at judging distances as the next guy, and under 200 yds, it does not present much of a problem. However stretch It out a bit……..
Anywho, I’ve made it to Montana, twice. Once with a bunch of guys on a group motorcycle ride, the second time on a guided elk hunt. The outfitter was based in Jardine and we hunted in and around there. For six days, I spent at least six hours a day if not more glassing Deckard Flat and over into Yellowstone park.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I’d pick out a particular landmark with my binocs, then range them with my Leica rangefinder. In that thin air, landmarks and objects that I would have guessed to be no more than say 250 yards would be 500 to 550 yds.

One thing for sure, it is a very different way of hunting that what I do here.

BTW, I too subscribe to the “5 P rule”…..

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Very few, maybe 10%. But the ones on the long end are some of the most memorable, just like the ones that were on the short end of the scale.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by 16bore
Why bother setting up a hunting rifle for 500+ yard shots, turrets, high BC bullets, and worrying about things that won’t make a difference anyway?

I don't.

Okie Jon

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by GRF
...of hunting based upon the ground.

When I went to Texas I did not really understand the use of baiting, until I walked around a bit. There was very little soil and slabs of limestone the size of dinner plates everywhere creating a sound like walking on dinner plates no matter how quietly one tried to walk. We helped the guides look for a wounded and lost deer, really got to understand how thick and nasty Texas bush is, I came away with a much greater appreciation of the way things are done in Texas as I was very convinced that I would have had zero success still-hunting. As a point of reference my two closest shots on Whitetail while still-hunting were at 8 and 18 yards so I do know how to do it.

Now when I go to a new area I study the ground and listen to the locals and figure how to hunt from there.

I have never shot an animal farther than 400 yards, truth be told I have yet to make a 400 yard shot but have a handful in the 390 yard range. I have three dialing scopes and practice out to 550 yards although I don't expect to shoot that far. Shooting at distance is a great way to hone ones skills as the greater the range the more each little error shows up.

My hunting is by the large majority walk, spot and stalk, sneak and peak, and least common is sitting in informal stands. seems to wrk for me.

Thanks for starting an interesting thread GW, thanks to all for throwing in their thoughts, I hope y'all have a great day.

George.

Texas is a huge state and conditions vary considerably. I was lucky enough to spend several years hunting huge family ranches on the Edwards Plateau in the 1970s before feeders became the order of the day. That country is rocky and rough, but you can move over it quietly if you focus. Jack O'Connor's 270 or Warren Page's 7mm would be ideal there. The gentle rolling hills of pine forest in the east are a lot like the Carolinas. That's 30-30 country. The north central part of the state is open, windswept prairie, and you're back to Jack and Warren's rifles. I haven't hunted the Big Bend or the Gulf Coast but I'm sure someone here has.

And there are places like geedubya's, which looks like it has the best of everything. That said, let his place go several months without rain and still-hunting might be all but impossible.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore

Why bother setting up a hunting rifle for 500+ yard shots, turrets, high BC bullets, and worrying about things that won’t make a difference anyway?

Doesn't hurt to practice and prepare for as many variables as possible. Hard to predict with 100% certainty what will make a difference.

Looking back at the last 10 years or so of mainly elk and sheep hunting- well over 60% of my kills have been over 300. I've only killed a few deer in that time, most of them were under 300. Even still, a handful have been at 300+.

One year I hunted hard all season trying to fill my elk tag. Had passed on my only opportunity, a split-second 35 meter chance, at a critter running straight away thru the timber. Not a shot I'm comfortable with taking, at least under the circumstances. Finally, late afternoon of the final day of season, was able to sneak to 302 yards of a grazing herd and got my elk. It would have been nice to close the deal earlier in the season, at 35, but for me the 300+ yard shot, over my pack, was a way higher percentage, safer shot.

I grew up deer hunting in 30-30 country and of my first dozen or so white tails, only one was shot at over 100. IMO, location/geography/topography are major influencers of how a guy hunts. You can see it in the comments on this thread...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If all my shots were inside 150 load development would sure be a lot easier. Do you bullets come out the end of the barrel when you pull the trigger? Yes. Ok, good to go.

I am not a true long range guy, I prefer my critters inside 300. However, it is nice when you feel confident enough in your equipment and your skills that when game shows up at 300-500+ you would still take the shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MedRiver
If all my shots were inside 150 load development would sure be a lot easier. Do you bullets come out the end of the barrel when you pull the trigger? Yes. Ok, good to go.

That prompted a good laugh...

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
During the 30+ years we lived in Alaska my guess is 50% were over 150 yards. And those were almost all blacktail deer except for one dall ram, black bear, and one moose.Since we moved to Tennessee we have not shot any deer beyond 40 yards.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For me 10%. I set up about 100 yards from where I think deer will cross with a rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With a rifle, probably 75%. Hunt a lot of senderos, green fields, powerlines, valleys, etc...

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I've been hunting one farm in north MO for 20 years with huge ag fields 600+yards long, and thin strips of cover along creeks and ditches. Most shots are over 150 yards, out to 350+. Or the deer are ambling along the thin strip of cover, and pop out at 20-40 yards. I went several seasons up there with the average shot at or over 200 yards.

My other hunting areas are more typical 70 yard average shots or so.

On my own property I'd have to try very hard to shoot over 60 yards.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not many. I've taken a handful from 2-300 probably 6.. And one at just under 400.

Everything else has been 100 and less.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
What percentage of your shots on game are over 150 yds?

Zero ....... which is fairly normal for this neck of the woods.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Two of 20 plus moose. In excess of 50 of 75 plus caribou. One elk of one elk right at 150. Two of 6 sheep (including those taken by wife and son under my direction), one goat of one goat, none of several black bears taken.

Easier this way than figuring percentages....

Last edited by las; 05/28/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 60. I started bow hunting when I was 14. I've killed 1 or more deer a year most years since then and have never shot at a deer beyond 60+ yds. It mostly has to do with the areas of Michigan's National Forests that I choose to hunt. I would some day love to shoot an animal at a distance greater than 150. I do shoot at distances to 300 yds but never at game.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,304
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.