Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My hunting bud loves Senderos. He kills WT’s and hogs regularly with a .270.

I’m getting his 7RM Sendero ready for African PG, loading the 160 NAB over RL-26.

I asked him why he likes those heavy guns. His reply, “I know what they’ll do when I get them there”.

It’s worth it to him to carry a big gun. His track record bears it out.

DF

I don't mind heavy guns either, had a bud bitching about how heavy one of my rifles was as he happily stood there and supported the extra 200lbs he put on his big ass since school. crazy people can be a goofy fickle bunch.

I can see the humor in that. grin

DF

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My Sako 375 is one of my favorite rifles. I've had it since the 80's and early on put it in a McMillan stock. I've only used 300 grain bullets in them. Mostly Nosler partitions. Early on I tried some Barnes 300 grainers. In the box of 50, 2 were so out of round the bullet would stick in the die. Regardless I took my biggest bull moose with the bullet. I was very impressed, the bull was facing away from me looking over his shoulder at me. I was Leary of the Texas heart shot, so I shot him in the hip. It was obvious that the bull was immediately sick. I put in another round in him as I didn't need him getting any deeper in the bush before he died. The impressive thing was that the bullet went in, as clean as if I'd used a big drill bit into the meat. No shock, mess on the hip. You could eat right up to the hole. That rifle handled everything from brown bear, to moose and caribou. I considered it a very pleasant rifle to shoot and have shot 40 rounds off the bench before with no bruise or anything. What a wonderful cartridge.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
My .375 is a great rifle in a great chambering but there's no way I'd hump it up and down the mountains for an elk. Successful hunting is much more about the rifle than the chambering. I'm all about doing what works for you, let us know how it goes.

I agree.

But look what this young hunter toted up and down mountains. Don't know the round, but for sure that rig is a lot heavier than my .375 H&H.

Phil (458Win) says his daughter uses her .416 Rem to kill everything, including sheep.

So, I guess you gotta be young and fit to qualify. I sure don't.... blush

DF

[Linked Image]

Hey isn't that Trump Jr from the KUIU video?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by BKinSD
My .375 is a great rifle in a great chambering but there's no way I'd hump it up and down the mountains for an elk. Successful hunting is much more about the rifle than the chambering. I'm all about doing what works for you, let us know how it goes.

I agree.

But look what this young hunter toted up and down mountains. Don't know the round, but for sure that rig is a lot heavier than my .375 H&H.

Phil (458Win) says his daughter uses her .416 Rem to kill everything, including sheep.

So, I guess you gotta be young and fit to qualify. I sure don't.... blush

DF

[Linked Image]

Hey isn't that Trump Jr from the KUIU video?

Yep.

Not sure about the video.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not exactly my idea of a “sheep rifle.” 🙂

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Not exactly my idea of a “sheep rifle.” 🙂

Mine either.

I guess if he wants to pack it, it did seem effective.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The previously mentioned 375 H&H was an early Remington KS Mountain Rifle with a couple of inches knocked off of the barrel. It went 7 1/2#, scoped, slung and loaded. It has since been replaced with a tweaked SS M70 that weighs a few ounce more. No need at all for a heavy 375.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM
The previously mentioned 375 H&H was an early Remington KS Mountain Rifle with a couple of inches knocked off of the barrel. It went 7 1/2#, scoped, slung and loaded. It has since been replaced with a tweaked SS M70 that weighs a few ounce more. No need at all for a heavy 375.

My Classic NH was way too barrel heavy. I had it cut back to 21" and fluted. which cut the forward weight a bunch. It's still in the 8# range, nine plus pounds with the heavy Victory scope, lighter with a VX-3 1.5-5x20. Those barrels are too good to swap.

What ya think Don Jr's big rifle weighs? Looks like a NF scope. I'm guessing 15+ pounds, a lot more than what I would want to pack up and down those mountains.

He took a lot of flack for those pictures and his Africa hunt with Eric.

Gotta respect them for that.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My hunting bud loves Senderos. He kills WT’s and hogs regularly with a .270.

I’m getting his 7RM Sendero ready for African PG, loading the 160 NAB over RL-26.

I asked him why he likes those heavy guns. His reply, “I know what they’ll do when I get them there”.

It’s worth it to him to carry a big gun. His track record bears it out.

DF

I don't mind heavy guns either, had a bud bitching about how heavy one of my rifles was as he happily stood there and supported the extra 200lbs he put on his big ass since school. crazy people can be a goofy fickle bunch.

I can see the humor in that. grin

DF

He didn'tlaugh, I grabbed my rifle from him and rec'd a gym membership. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
All that said, I certainly would rather pack my 8.5lb Kimber 338 win mag up and elk mountain over a 16lb bull barreled Sharps 45-110.

Trump Won!
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
All that said, I certainly would rather pack my 8.5lb Kimber 338 win mag up and elk mountain over a 16lb bull barreled Sharps 45-110.

Ya reckon ole Billy Dixon would be laughing about now...?

grin

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've got a Kimber Talkeetna in 375H&H w/2-12x42 Leupold VX-6 that shoots 250gn TTSX's right @ 2800fps. There's nothing about that rifle/load that would cause me to not want to hunt elk with it, at any range/conditions in which I could accurately judge what the wind was going to do.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

grin

DF

Uh-Yessir, he is. blush ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by horse1
I've got a Kimber Talkeetna in 375H&H w/2-12x42 Leupold VX-6 that shoots 250gn TTSX's right @ 2800fps. There's nothing about that rifle/load that would cause me to not want to hunt elk with it, at any range/conditions in which I could accurately judge what the wind was going to do.

Sounds like a damn nice rig, Horse.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I need to draw a few more tags so I can actually take it hunting. blush

I forgot to add, I'm swapping the VX-6 off for a Leica 2.5-10x42 because I'm not fond of Leupold's wide-duplex and the center intersection is more coarse than I like. I live and hunt in very open country and have very good corrected vision, at this point for me regarding a reticle, the finer the better in the center.

Last edited by horse1; 06/05/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 340mag
you don,t need to be young...just set in your ways, stubborn, very confident in your rifle,and not in any particular rush too cover a great deal of ground.
Im 71, and while I may not be in the same physical shape I was when I was 20-50, having gained considerable experience , you learn to be observant,
you learn to hunt more productive areas, and waste less time trying to constantly get over that far ridge-line,
you spend more time reading topo maps , studying aerial photos and sitting in terrain choke points that naturally funnel game into a restricted location.
yeah, I may not cover nearly the same distances, but Ive gotten consistently more effective and if carrying a rifle that weights 9-10 lbs vs 7-8 lbs,
keeps you from hunting some canyon, what are you going to do with 350-700 lbs of elk down in some remote canyon.

Since I've gotten older I've cut the distance I walk considerably. Before my hip replacement it was difficult to go a mile, let alone drop in and climb out of canyons.

Still, I prefer lighter rifles to heavier. Most of the trips involve far more walking than shooting, and at the end of the day my shoulder can tell the difference. We pack our elk out on our backs or, if possible, with a cart. More than one elk has gotten walking papers because i didn't want (or physically couldn't, or both) want to pack it out.

Dropping 25 pounds last year made hiking those hills a LOT easier. I'll take weight loss where I can get it - rifle, pack, waist.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/05/19. Reason: fixed quote

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I need to draw a few more tags so I can actually take it hunting. blush

I forgot to add, I'm swapping the VX-6 off for a Leica 2.5-10x42 because I'm not fond of Leupold's wide-duplex and the center intersection is more coarse than I like. I live and hunt in very open country and have very good corrected vision, at this point for me regarding a reticle, the finer the better in the center.

Agreed, I don't need trash in my reticles either, especially FAT trash, good luck getting those tags, you may have to book a big bear hunt with Phil, bet he has a tag! grin

Trump Won!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There's certainly nothing wrong with a .375 for elk, although the high-BC hunting bullets are quite limited. The 260gr Accubond is one of the few that comes to mind. 600y seems a bit much, but then it's a bit much with any rifle.

Given a choice I'll take a 6.5mm or 7mm magnum in a smaller, lighter rifle and be able to shoot farther with the same impact from wind call error. Those big magnum actions are rather unwieldy compared to say a Kimber 8400. Yes, you CAN carry them but it's a lot less pleasant.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

grin

DF

Uh-Yessir, he is. blush ; ]

Ya think that big rifle Don Jr was packing on that AK sheep hunt (picture I posted) would weigh as much as your big Sharps? He must have packed it in.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had my 375 H&H at the range today for some practice. Oh, what fun to shoot!

[Linked Image]

This year though, I plan on bowhunting for elk, so the 375 will only come out to play for bear season. It's done just fine on bear in the past.

Guy

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.