-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you really want to Fugg up some BBQ just pour some of that nasty ass Liquid Smoke seasoning on it. 🤮

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jim
I mostly use my Weber gas grill. Usually two former sardine cans filled on the hot side of the grate. Chicken on the cool side. Our birds take about an hour at 375ish.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
If you really want to Fugg up some BBQ just pour some of that nasty ass Liquid Smoke seasoning on it. 🤮

GOOD Texas-style BBQ needs NO sauce smeared on it. = I think "Liquid Smoke" is nausea-producing.
(I remember being at Black's BBQ in Lockhart a few years ago with my wife when a pair of "out of state tourists" sat down with a tray to eat & demanded KETCHUP from the on-duty manager. = The manager told the man, "I'd sooner that you PISS on the meat than you pour ketchup on it.")

Both my lady & laughed when the couple got mad & left.

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 06/01/19. Reason: clarity/typo

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I have an enamel fry pan sitting right on the fire.

Maybe my years as a firefighter has made me immune to smoke.

I am MAGA.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by satx78247
GUS,

In south TX, where I now reside after retiring from the Army, MESQUITE & OAK seem to be the THE two woods used for BBQ. = I've not, after a total of 14 years living here (I was here for 3 years about 2 decades ago & was stationed at Ft Sam Houston), I've NOT yet "acquired the taste" for mesquite-cooked food. - IMO, mesquite does a TERRIBLE job on chickens, ducks & turkeys & tastes "FUNNY"
Imo, pork does OK with split oak in the firebox.
(Friends tease me about bringing back a BIG load of green hickory split wood, when we "go home to visit". = A Ford F-250 diesel PU will haul a LOT of .hickory wood.)

Once I have the hickory, I "mix it in" with well-seasoned split oak, which works OK but not as well as ALL hickory or peach-tree wood..
(My "home county" is filled with commercial peach orchards & when the trees quit producing well, they get "taken out" & replaced with new trees.= When I lived up there, I was often "first in line" to cut-up & carry away the discarded peach trees.)

To ME alone, I think nothing is better for BBQing turkeys & hams than green peach wood.

yours, tex

i understand from whence you come. we grow a lot of peaches here too. load them on rail cars and ship to new york, etc. it's big business if the weather doesn't get us. it's still big business, but doesn't pay very well if a late freeze comes in. we have lot's of pecan (a kind of hickory) that is used. mostly storm damaged limbs, and old trees being rogued out. the hurricane last year, (michael), gave us a ton of young pecan wood and a horrible loss to the farmers in sw georgia.

anyways, oak is plentiful. green and dry. most is used dry. if'n i was choosing, i'd choose one of the whiteoaks over the numerous redoak species. a lot of bbq'ers don't really care what is what. over the years i've used most everything except the junipers, pines, cedars, etc. honey locust works surprisingly well. blowdown bradford pears are often available.

our local, by the pound, firewood yard has closed after many years, when the pulp market collapsed. could choose dry or green hickory or oak. i've had a weighed 4800 lbs on '73 chevy 3/4 ton horse w/4bolt mains.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Hate to bust anyone's bubble, but REAL barbeque ain't cooked on grills that you can buy at Walmart or Home Depot. Nor is it smoked with pellets, shavings, or pressed wood brisquettes......and it's not cooked using propane or electricity. Also, it's mostly a south of the Mason-Dixon line thing...........sorry Yankees.

It is cooked on a pit, over a bed of hardwood coals, low and slow, usually by old men who've been doing it for so long that they could do it blindfolded. Here in my part of the world, in the western part of Kentucky, just north of the Tennessee line, that means pork shoulders, cooked for about 16 hours, and the served pulled. Very little seasoning goes on the shoulders to begin with, usually they are mopped with a sauce while they're cooked, and served sauce on the side. Most places also cook chickens and ribs. I do like brisket, but that's a Texas innovation, and was not originally cooked here.

Some places also cook mutton, and I like good mutton, but I have found few places that really know how to do it right.

For my two cents the best bbq I have ever had from KY is the Monroe County style. Pork blade steaks grilled in that unique vinegar-lard-pepper sauce and then dipped in the sauce as a finisher. Real barbecue, or just grilled pork? Who cares, the stuff is outrageously good. It would kill me, but I could drink that lard sauce.

If you've never been, head over to Tompkinsville some time and give their BBQ a try. There are some good Monroe County style joints in Glasgow too.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Memorial Day BBQ! Red oak is the best bbq!!😁

Can’t figure out how to attach pic from image gallery! Dang it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 805
Memorial Day BBQ! Red oak is the best bbq!!😁 Can’t figure out how to attach pic from image gallery! Dang it.

Nice Santa Maria style setup. Central Coast of Course.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Fat! Central coast definitely!
Linguica, jalapeño cheddar elk sausage, pork belly, few chicken breasts and of course tri tip.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
auk1124,

Do you have the recipe for the vinegar-lard-pepper sauce?? = IF you do, please post it.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I just thought I would start some chit with my 11,999th post smile

I hear ya Tarry. I continue to struggle with mine.

[Linked Image]

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by satx78247
auk1124,

Do you have the recipe for the vinegar-lard-pepper sauce?? = IF you do, please post it.

yours, tex

Sadly I do not. A lot of people would love to have that recipe, but those bbq joints I am talking about do not share the recipe. There is a lot of speculation about the Monroe County sauce out there; here is one stab at it.

https://barbecuesecrets.libsyn.com/recipe-of-the-week-a-taste-of-kentucky-barbecue

I haven't tried out that recipe to see how it compares to the real deal, but it might be worth taking a shot at. These joints mop their blade steaks in the stuff, then dip the steaks in it upon serving (with slices of white bread). It is some of the best stuff I have ever ate, when that fatty sauce soaks into the bread...

Edited to add, one thing I see in that recipe that concerns me is the thickness of the blade steaks. Recipe talks about half inch steaks - all of the good joints I am talking about serve pencil thickness steaks, not half inch. If I was gonna try that recipe I would want thin blade steaks.

Last edited by auk1124; 06/01/19.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hate to bust anyone's bubble, but REAL barbeque ain't cooked on grills that you can buy at Walmart or Home Depot. Nor is it smoked with pellets, shavings, or pressed wood brisquettes......and it's not cooked using propane or electricity. Also, it's mostly a south of the Mason-Dixon line thing...........sorry Yankees.

It is cooked on a pit, over a bed of hardwood coals, low and slow, usually by old men who've been doing it for so long that they could do it blindfolded. Here in my part of the world, in the western part of Kentucky, just north of the Tennessee line, that means pork shoulders, cooked for about 16 hours, and the served pulled. Very little seasoning goes on the shoulders to begin with, usually they are mopped with a sauce while they're cooked, and served sauce on the side. Most places also cook chickens and ribs. I do like brisket, but that's a Texas innovation, and was not originally cooked here.

Some places also cook mutton, and I like good mutton, but I have found few places that really know how to do it right.

Real barbecue doesn't come from Kentucky.

Seriously though, I don't care as long as it tastes good. It's all about cooking slow enough to break down those tissues that don't want to break down..... and putting a little smoke on it. The end result is all that matters. It doesn't really matter if it was cooked over a bed of hardwood coals or in a Trager,.... you need control of temp, you need smoke, you need a cut of meat that would benefit from slow cooking.

The only exception to the above is any use of an electric smoker. That's not barbecue. It's lazycue. Which is why I use it. Good good, easy cooking.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I personally know the winners of the 2017 Royal Open and Invitational and they both use a pellet cooker for their chicken, and one of them uses it to finish his ribs. Both of them have a $10,000.00 check, what's in your wallet?

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hate to burst your bubble but Real BBQ doesn’t have sauce on it! If you’re ever on the west coast feel free to stop by for some Red Oak BBQ that will blow your mind. Ain’t that right Fatcity! grin grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
auk1124,

THANKS. = While what those sorts of places make in KY isn't anything that I would ever call BBQ, some grilled meats (like the so-called KOREAN BBQ, which is also NOT anything resembling real BBQ pork) are good too. = I'll try that recipe. for thin-sliced grilled pork chops, grilled over green peach-wood or hickory coals. = My pit has a "coals drawer" under the main grill for cooking steaks, burgers, etc. "for a crowd".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope not getting dragged into that one. Ive had BBQ from the Deep South, Texas and up and down the Central Coast. Its all good to me.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FatCity67,

Are you perchance from Jefferson Parish, LA??
(I lived in Fat City for 2 years, when I was in grad school at Tulane.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 805

Hate to burst your bubble but Real BBQ doesn’t have sauce on it! If you’re ever on the west coast feel free to stop by for some Red Oak BBQ that will blow your mind. Ain’t that right Fatcity! grin grin

Hate to bust your bubble, but I very seriously doubt that anyone from the west coast knows very much about how BBQ is supposed to be cooked. The sauce I'm referring to, is a very thin vinegar-tomato based mixture that is mopped on the meat to keep it moist during the cooking. Not everybody does it, but it definitely helps.

On a more serious note, we all get used to eating our regional food, and think it's the best. I've never eaten BBQ that came off a grill or smoker, that could compare to what we refer to as pit style here, and I've eat a lot of BBQ. When I refer to BBQ, I'm talking about pork or chicken that's been cooked for hours, not a hamburger or pork chop that's been cooked on a grill. I'm the same way about fried fish, as I think what we have in this part of the country is by far and away the best I've ever had. Fried chicken as well. It's only natural that we like our locally cooked food, as it's what we have grown up eating. As an example, I've eaten Carolina BBQ and Kansas City BBQ, both places that are supposedly known for their good BBQ, and to me, it wasn't even close as good as what I can get locally. But, I've also had BBQ from some places here in Kentucky that are supposed to be the best, and I didn't care for it.

Everyone is different as to what we like, and while I think my part of the country makes the best BBQ, it's only natural that someone else will think theirs is better. Also, the term "BBQ" means different things to different folks. Nothing wrong with that either.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 32 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,468
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.