-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I’m within 60 days of climbing Kilimanjaro, and the only piece of kit still uncertain is the daypack.

Should be 35-40L, able to carry 20 lbs easily. It’ll carry daily use gear (layers, etc) and 4 L of water and snacks.

I’d like a good hip belt with pockets and a good suspension system. Word is everything is heavier at 19,000 ft.

I’ll be using it for hunting when I get back.

Suggestions?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My favorite packs in that range are not hunting packs. The North Face Terra 35 and (now discontinued) Kelty Pawnee 40. My current pack in that range is just a little smaller than you're asking about, Mystery Ranch Scree, 32L. It's pretty new to me so I won't mislead you with glowing recommendations, but so far, it's done everything I've asked of it nicely. That doesn't include climbing 19,000 foot mountains though. smile

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 with their 40L dry bag on the load shelf would be my first choice, especially since both the pack and dry bag can be used as carry on’s.

I’ve been running a Seek Outside Uniweep 4800 with lid and talon which I’m loving as a day pack and back country pack both. Very comfortable with 50 lbs and the base pack is under 4 lbs. plus it’s waterproof.
Only down sides with this pack are they changed from side release buckles to gatekeeper buckles on the new ones and it’s too big for carry a on. You either love the gatekeeper buckles or you hate ‘em, there is no in between. I had a Saker with them and hated ‘em. My oldest boy has a Lanier with ‘em and loves ‘em.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
The Stone Glacier Avail.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got a Mystery Ranch Coulee 40L. It's pretty nice for a larger daypack.

Good review with lots of pics here:

http://www.outdooraesthetics.org/outdoor-lab/mystery-ranch-coulee-40/

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by David_Walter

That right there will eliminate most packs.

The MR Popups with dry bag is an interesting idea- I’ve been using/testing the PopUp 18 since November. It’s a wicked good day pack that can morph into carrying a heavy load rather well (entire adult deer).

However if you want internal load carrying, at that size you should seriously look at the Stone Glacier 3300. I’ve used every pack listed except the Kelty, and the SG 3300 would be the pick.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by David_Walter

That right there will eliminate most packs.

The MR Popups with dry bag is an interesting idea- I’ve been using/testing the PopUp 18 since November. It’s a wicked good day pack that can morph into carrying a heavy load rather well (entire adult deer).

However if you want internal load carrying, at that size you should seriously look at the Stone Glacier 3300. I’ve used every pack listed except the Kelty, and the SG 3300 would be the pick.

This I agree with. I use the Stone Glacier Sky 5900 but use it mostly in what they call “bivy mode” which makes it a nice 40L pack.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pathfinder76; 05/29/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since you'll BE climbing...buy a climbing pack. 4lb or less. Many posters here like to portray that they are savvy by recommending really expensive brands. The high value and quality at modest cost of Mountain Hardwear, Black Diamond, Marmot, et al or equivalent will work fine and can be had for substantial discounts from many of the internet sources

You are probably experienced, yes? I'd head up to Adams, Baker, Rainier and the North Cascades to get used to the process of acclimatizing. Take white glove liners, white balaclava and a shemagh, too. A white hat with neck flap (Outdoor Research or equivalent) is worth its weight in platinum.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
David
I’d agree that if you want to use it for hunting after the SG 3300 is a great choice.
Here’s one for sale pretty reasonable also.
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/stone-glacier-solo-3300.127071/

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I found a MR 28 pop up at a good price.

I’ll do some testing on that one as the probable pick.

I have plenty of compression and waterproof sacks if I need to expand the storage.

John Stark.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a Mystery Ranch Pop up 28 for a very similar purpose. I'll use it for hiking and hunting. I have 4 other MR packs and really like them.

BTW: Black Ovis has MR on sale right now for 25% off and free shipping. Cant beat that price.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used an Outdoor Research 55L dry bag with a MR Mule last year. Works great! I packed in about four days worth of stuff for mid-November Mule Deer hunting in the Rockies. Packed out a whole deboned buck, including head. I’m doing a similar thing with my Kifaru where I sold the Reckoning bag and replaced it with a Nomad 2 system. The dry bag serves as the main bag. The MR and Kifaru frames are both excellent, but I felt the Kifaru handles heavy loads better. I may be packing an elk out solo quite a distance this year so planning on the Kifaru for elk. Toss up as to which for Mule Deer season.

For the lighter loads and just hiking I’d lean MR as it’s a bit more svelte.

Last edited by prm; 05/29/19.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I’d skip the pop up and go with the Pintler or Sawtooth.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bwinters
BTW: Black Ovis has MR on sale right now for 25% off and free shipping. Cant beat that price.

That’s where I got it.

John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm curious how well they work as a dual day pack and meat hauler. I'd like to compare notes with you after season.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K

John Stark.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.