Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The link I clicked on says 140 gr bullet @ 2400 fps. And I'm betting from a 24" test barrel. They'll do good to get 2200 from a real rifle with a 20 barrel. A decent 308 load with 150's beats that at 300-400 yards. sleep

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

So Underwood changed the velocity from 3000 to 2400. Apparently whatever they may offer, it isn't any velocity advantage but is probably the way their bullet is designed to fragment. For $51 per box, I'll take a pass.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No need for a .30-30 load that goes any faster than standard pressure factory and handloads have been doing for generations. They kill just fine that way. I've killed a few truck loads of deer with the .30-30, .35 Rem., .243, .308, .30-06 , 7x57 mm, 6.5 Creed, .44 mag. and 12 and 20 gauge slugs. Given similar shot placement there ain't a nickels worth of difference in how quickly they'll put deer down between them. Results may be different on larger game but not on deer. As far as larger bore/more bullet weight being a quicker killer, that's a big load of bullshyt too. Never found the .35, .44 mag. or 12 gauge slugs to put them on the ground any quicker than a .30-30. In fact, the farthest I ever had a double lung shot deer go before hitting the dirt was shot broadside through and through from 30 yards with a 12 gauge Foster slug. She ran 250 yards across an open field and collapsed draped over the barbed wire fence on the other side.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed a LOT of deer with 29.5 grains 3031 and a Hornady 170 FP.

Paper ballistics are pretty sedate, but it's been working good so far.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
30-30 's have been killing things for a long time without reaching that FPS
What is the point?
Just because you can, does not mean you should!

Last edited by TBREW401; 05/31/19.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s pretty lame that they suddenly realized that they were 600fps too fast. I wonder how many boxes they sold to disappointed customers demanding their money back for false advertising?

BRAND:UNDERWOOD AMMO
SKU:559
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Caliber: 30-30 Winchester
Bullet Weight: 140 Grains
Bullet Style: Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos
Case Type: Brass
BALLISTICS INFORMATION
Muzzle Velocity: 2400 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1791 ft lbs
Penetration Min (in) Base: 30
Penetration Min (in) Petals: 9
Expansion Min (in) 6

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MontanaMarine: Bryce Towsley NRA Hunter July 20, 2009: "Gilding metal has more lubricity than pure copper and has been found to produce less metal fouling and lower bore friction than copper."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Was just wandering aimlessly through Skagit Arms and looked at the published velocity of the 140gr Hornady momoflex in 30-30 and it was iirc 2480fps. Underwood isn’t doing anything special.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It has to be true, its on the internet !

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

IC B3

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I spoke briefly with their spirits a few moments ago to inquire about this. They were both of the firm opinion that they could not get any deader from a new tech .30-30 ammo.

[Linked Image]

Likewise, they had a very negative opinion about 150 gr Corelokt and Hornady 170 gr bullets and the .30-30. Would probably support a gun ban too....

[Linked Image]

Not a drop of blood on either of those deer. You scared em to death!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm an enthusiastic fan of the 30-30. Just had to restock one....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
DMc,

You did a nice job on the stock, but boy I would have been PI$$ED about the reason you had to do it in the first place.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Damn! That sucks on the 788. Hard to find an original walnut stock for those as I know you found out. You did a nice job of making a birch stock approximate the original walnut one.

There’s a reason why I always shipped rifles in a cheap $10 hard case. It was cheaper than the best UPS (or all the others) and the customer was usually amazed that we included a “free” hard case. It helped with our A+ rating when it came to feedback.

I hope you got it for a good price or significant money back since that was a costly break.

What kind of a maroon packed it?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Stump Buster & AcesNeights.

The real pisser is that UPS left that rifle at the door of my FFL exactly as pictured above, without ringing his doorbell or knocking on the door. THIS is a FIREARM and requires a delivery signature. Needless to say he was as pissed as I was.

The delivery driver was a coward not wanting to address the condition of his package.

Settlement negotiations regarding the damage claim between the seller and UPS are still ongoing.

BTW: I always ship in a plastic hard case as well, however I haven't found them for $10.00! However another tip for anyone shipping a rifle or shotgun is to order the plastic case from Amazon with next day delivery or the following day, and it comes in a perfectly fitted cardboard box! (If you buy a hard case from Walmart or elsewhere, then you have to scrounge around for an odd-sized cardboard box to ship it in.)

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
my first rifle at about age ll was a winchester 94 in 30.30. pretty much a traditional saddle gun at the time.
Last year i picked up something i have been wanting for a long time, a savage 30.30 bolt action. Where i can load spitzer bullets.
Pretty popular in the late 40's and early 50's where i grew up.
I am sure it's perfectly aedequate at ranges it was meant to perform at.

A used Savage 340 .30-30 was my first center fire rifle. My old man gave $40 for it at the corner gas station about 1965. Wouldn't mind having another, really.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
DMc, I’m going back probably 10 years so they probably have gone up a lot like everything else. 😂. Your suggestion about buying a case online is an excellent idea because a rifle box is not cheap or easy to find in the first place. 👍

I have a 788 in 30-30 with the walnut stock and since it was my first centerfire rifle bought for me by my grandpa I’d never part with it, it’s too sentimental to me. I have one in .308 that I’m thinking of unloading and putting the money towards a surprise anniversary trip for my wife. I wouldn’t miss one rifle.......or would I? 😂

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
PS.....any delivery man with a shred of self respect wouldn’t leave a rifle or any box in that kind of condition without making note of the potential damage and condition of the box. It’s a total chickenshit move for him to leave that without a signature but not following their stated policy should help your insurance claim.

I’d be interested in knowing if they ever accept responsibility and make good on the insurance. I hope you’ll update this down the road, it’ll serve as a good warning for others at least. 👍

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
PS.....any delivery man with a shred of self respect wouldn’t leave a rifle or any box in that kind of condition without making note of the potential damage and condition of the box. It’s a total chickenshit move for him to leave that without a signature but not following their stated policy should help your insurance claim.

I’d be interested in knowing if they ever accept responsibility and make good on the insurance. I hope you’ll update this down the road, it’ll serve as a good warning for others at least. 👍

I contacted the seller immediately when my FFL notified me of the broken rifle sitting on his porch. The seller promptly sent me $200 to replace the stock, front sight, and safety button. He filed a claim with UPS and they have agreed to pay him but are haggling over the amount he'll receive. UPS came to my home and photographed the rifle. Between me, my FFL, and the UPS guy, the number of pictures taken of both the box and the rifle, created a picture library beyond dispute.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good for you guys and I hope you both get the compensation you deserve as there’s no excuse for that kind of carelessness. I’m glad to hear that UPS will make good on the claim, they damn sure should.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 21, 808outdoors, 1Longbow, 8 invisible), 14,442 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,926
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.