Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-47675301?utm_source=pocket-newtab

But in 2007 the Senate committee appeared to think that some ministries were abusing this privilege and violating an IRS rule that church earnings may not "unreasonably benefit" an individual.

The Trinity Foundation shared all its research with the committee, and attended meetings with its officials.

The group - led by Iowa Senator Chuck Grassley - decided to focus on six well-known figures: Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar, Eddie Long, Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn and Paula White - who is now President Trump's spiritual adviser.

All six denied wrongdoing. Four failed to co-operate satisfactorily, according to the committee (White, Copeland, Dollar and Long). Larry had donated to three of them.

"We really thought it was going to come to something," says Pete.

Yet by 2011, the investigation had lost steam. Senator Grassley drew no specific conclusions. Instead he asked an evangelical group - the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA) - to study ways to spur "self-reform" among ministries.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That Creflo, dat brotha is a pimp.

I roofed two houses for World Changers, lol. Our pastor was part of that when we took him on.

World Changers sent us a van full of teenage 'slaves' to roof two old black womens' roofs.

What stood out in my mind was one in particular. The little old 'poor' black woman was a retired school teacher. She had a teacher's pension and was obviously drawing her soc security too.

Probably knocking down $2600 a month if I was to guess.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by KFWA

Yet by 2011, the investigation had lost steam. Senator Grassley drew no specific conclusions. Instead he asked an evangelical group - the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA) - to study ways to spur "self-reform" among ministries.

Translation:

Grassley got a cut.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If there are any truly honest-to-goodness representatives in DC, senator C Grassley from IA is one of ‘em. When the guy is home he visits every “town Hal” in Iowa eventually and will take any question.

No Graft with Grassley. Maybe he can use that for his next campaign slogan.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The thing that bothers me the most about any of this is that we seem to think it's OK in this country to do wrong unless you claim to be a Christian. Where are the laws keeping the drug company CEO's from "unreasonable" benefit?"

Rather than agreeing how vile the "christian" is and how much we want the government to dictate what's right, we should be appalled by a law attempting it in the first place.

The only reason we tolerate such is because it's against a "Christian" who wasn't doing right. Christian has become the hated group in the US,the one it's OK to persecute because everyone see's their "Christian" walk as being the right way, and another's as totally wrong and worthy of destruction. It won't be long until anything associated with "Christian" will be hated more than applauded.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 05/31/19.
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The thing that bothers me the most about any of this is that we seem to think it's OK in this country to do wrong unless you claim to be a Christian. Where are the laws keeping the drug company CEO's from "unreasonable" benefit?"

Rather than agreeing how vile the "christian" is and how much we want the government to dictate what's right, we should be appalled by a law attempting it in the first place.

The only reason we tolerate such is because it's against a "Christian" who wasn't doing right. Christian has become the hated group in the US,the one it's OK to persecute because everyone see's their "Christian" walk as being the right way, and another's as totally wrong and worthy of destruction. It won't be long until anything associated with "Christian" will be hated more than applauded.

A church is a business. They should be glad they're given any benefits at all.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
from the article I just posted, persecuting Christians doing wrong is about the last thing that is going to happen

there really is no reason why any tax exempt religion shouldn't be mandated to be 100% transparent with their financial statements. WWJD

Last edited by KFWA; 05/31/19.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Everything/everybody is a business.
We all gotta eat and that means we all gotta pull in more than we spend. Pretty simple, huh?

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I don't agree with any of this. I don't agree with ministers living in mansions that rival the Biltmore House. But, I don't have to give them any money if I don't want to. I certainly don't agree with the govt getting between them and those who do want to give them money. Who gets to define what is "unreasonable" and why is it not applied to the CEOs of companies that we are almost forced to patronize? What about other charitable organizations and foundations run by people who make piles while the actual "cause" gets pennies?

Can of worms I tell ya.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The study left out Joel Osteen.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Tyrone
We all gotta eat and that means we all gotta pull in more than we spend. Pretty simple, huh?

Not necessarily.

There are non-profits without salary and very little overhead.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I'm fine with stopping tax exempt status,just not with earnings limited legislation.

I'm not saying stealing is fine for anybody. I just don't want us to make laws that make it illegal for churches, but fine for everyone else. It's the targeting of Christians that bothers me most. There are other groups that enjoy tax exempt status that are just as or more so corrupt..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not necessarily.

There's a name for those - "part time".

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It's those TV churches that show 50,000 people sitting in a football stadium and taking up the collection in Kentucky Fried Chicken buckets that make me raise an eyebrow.

Joel Osteen comes to mind.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When Billy Graham was ministering, he only took an average American salary. All the rest went to missionary work, like Shepherds Purse, to help those in need, especially after a disaster, and the rent stadiums to have his crusades.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I worry about the church we attend when home.
Non-denominational and has grown wildly.
Has 3 back to back services starting at 9 on Sunday mornings.
Average attendance is about 2.5K spread over the 3 services.
The church just purchased the building we've used for nearly 10 years and doubled the sanctuary size.
I hope it doesn't evolve into a Mega Church.

FJB & FJT
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Raeford
The church just purchased the building we've used for nearly 10 years and doubled the sanctuary size.

that is a mega church where I am from.

We call those big churches like that "Fort God"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Raeford

that is a mega church where I am from.

We call those big churches like that "Fort God"

That's why I'm starting to get worried.
It just kind of happened.
Not so sure the pastor envisioned it either.
One thing he is getting is many local college students to come and continue coming.
The two local Universities[Radford U & Virginia Tech] are the drivers in our area economically with around 50K students combined, we have more of them attendind by far than any other church.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Joel Osteens brother in law is a plumber I worked with at one time. Kevin Combs done good!!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Not necessarily.

There's a name for those - "part time".

So you agree they’re not businesses?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,998 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,196
Posts18,503,582
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.