Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy so they’re not “ bulletproof “ and reliable 100% of the time. I realize it’s a man made product and shiit can go south, just trying to find glass that’s as reliable as can be..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Copy so they’re not “ bulletproof “ and reliable 100% of the time. I realize it’s a man made product and shiit can go south, just trying to find glass that’s as reliable as can be..

What happened to you, Jud? I thought it was "Leup or bust"? grin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Nightforce is definitely among the best in terms of reliability. What type of scope are you looking for and how much are you willing to spend?

ILya

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

What happened to you, Jud? I thought it was "Leup or bust"? grin

Well, I am. Never had a problem... YET. Grin

That being said Clint talked me into a nightforce, just putting my feelers out. I'll never hoot near as much as most of you guys so it'll probably be ok.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I know what the return rate and the failure rate of those scopes that are returned, as well the failure rate of large numbers of dialing scopes used hard.

In seeing dozens to hundreds each of Leupold, S&B, Vortex, Sig Tango 6, SWFA, NF, Bushnell, etc. used hard and measured for zero retention, tracking, adjustment, etc with thousands of rounds on each scope, there’s a HUGE difference between them. There are multiple scopes in the above list that are “top of the line” that will have a catastrophic failure rate of near 50% inside of a couple thousand rounds.

ILya,

That you know optics is obvious. How many scopes of each model do you test, how many rounds do you shoot, how do you test adjustments, return to zero, and how do you check for zero retention with impacts?

IC B2

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for chiming in Form, out of those tested, who has the lowest return rate? Who has the lowest between NF and swfa ss? Thanks

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Nothing man made is 100%. However, it’s not even close in actual use. I won’t really comment on a scope until I’ve seen at least 10+, With at least 5,000 rounds on each one and preferably 10k rounds per. That’s 50,000 rounds as a minimum before I’ll even feel comfortable saying a baseline, and I want to see 100,000 rounds. That is unless they fail before that.

Scopes that have I have seen, tested and used with at least 50 samples that have had less than one failure out of the 50 scopes-

Nightforce ATACR, NXS, and NX8

SWFA SS Fixed lowers and HD’s.

That’s it. Not Leupold, not Sig, not Zeiss, not Swaro. Actual failure rates in use that I’ve been directly apart of for each of those has been between 30-40%+ within 3,000 rounds

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Thanks for chiming in Form, out of those tested, who has the lowest return rate? Who has the lowest between NF and swfa ss? Thanks

Nightforce. The NXS Milspecs were and probably are the most reliable, most durable scopes ever made. ATACR’s are excellent as well, however they have ED glass which is a bit more fragile, and they had a problem with a compound that holds the lenses in on some of the first ones.... if I remember right- 4. The compound was too hard and the lenses cracked. Still held zero and worked completely however. This should be taken in context- even the ATACR is as close to bombproof as an scope ever made.

SWFA SS’s are extremely solid, and I have multiple examples with more than 100k rounds on them.

Last edited by Formidilosus; 06/05/19.
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
How bout the shv?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
How bout the shv?

I have personal experience with around 10k ounds on SHV’s. Not enough to say definitively, however all worked fine. I would have no hesitation in using an SHV at all.

IC B3

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That's what I wanted to know. Obliged

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
No problem.

To all as I know someone is going to say it- no, most people are not going to shoot 10,000 rounds with a scope, or even 1,000. However it’s about sample size and data. Shooting a couple hundred rounds through a single scope and then proclaiming it anything isn’t “data”.

Think of every round, like a mileage on a vehicle. One mile driven is about equal to one round fired. There’s a reason vehicles don’t have 200 mile warranties, and there’s a reason that we need to shoot a scope more than 200 rounds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a NF that was an issue scope in very limited quantity... it has right at 120k rounds under it all 308... This optic has not been babied by any means... it’s a 3.5-15x50 NXS and has never had one single problem...

I’m sure Form will recognize the reticle...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by elkhuntinguide; 06/05/19.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
You know you can make some money on that scope...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have made a ton of money behind that scope and would never sell it... I’ve had it since new and will be buried with it...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doug,

You should see if NF would do a batch of Mil-Spec scopes as a Cameraland special. I was once told they will do it for a minimum order of 25 scopes or so. Not sure if that is still the case.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Doug,

You should see if NF would do a batch of Mil-Spec scopes as a Cameraland special. I was once told they will do it for a minimum order of 25 scopes or so. Not sure if that is still the case.

Now that would be darned cool! I’m in!

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Nothing man made is 100%. However, it’s not even close in actual use. I won’t really comment on a scope until I’ve seen at least 10+, With at least 5,000 rounds on each one and preferably 10k rounds per. That’s 50,000 rounds as a minimum before I’ll even feel comfortable saying a baseline, and I want to see 100,000 rounds. That is unless they fail before that.

Scopes that have I have seen, tested and used with at least 50 samples that have had less than one failure out of the 50 scopes-

Nightforce ATACR, NXS, and NX8

SWFA SS Fixed lowers and HD’s.

That’s it. Not Leupold, not Sig, not Zeiss, not Swaro. Actual failure rates in use that I’ve been directly apart of for each of those has been between 30-40%+ within 3,000 rounds

Form,

How are the current Bushy Elites like the DMRII, XRSII, LRHS, etc, doing for you guys these days? Compared to those mentioned in your post, that is. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

ILya,

That you know optics is obvious. How many scopes of each model do you test, how many rounds do you shoot, how do you test adjustments, return to zero, and how do you check for zero retention with impacts?

I've often wondered the same thing. Looking forward to the response.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.