Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I am taking my son on an antelope hunt to WY this fall and because I am trying to keep the days out of school to a minimum, we are flying there and back instead of driving.

What would be the least expensive way best way to ship two boned out antelope across the country back to SC?

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mail your clothes back. Freeze the meat, put it in a starafoam box & take it back as checked luggage. That's what we do when we go to AK. We bring back 2 boxes with 50lbs each of salmon fillets..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Mail your clothes back. Freeze the meat, put it in a starafoam box & take it back as checked luggage. That's what we do when we go to AK. We bring back 2 boxes with 50lbs each of salmon fillets..

This. I’ve done the same many times hunting WY. In the days before airlines charged for baggage, we used to bring home two 70# boxes of meat each, sometimes three if we were elk hunting. Now, depending on the airline and how much luggage you are bringing on the flight, one box each frozen with dry ice (check with airlines for regs) would work. We would mail our clothes and horns/antlers back home to FL. My Dad is a former Delta pilot, so he gets two checked bags free, so we usually carry two meat boxes and my double rifle case back, and sometimes one bag along as well. Much cheaper than shipping the meat from WY to South FL.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

This. I’ve done the same many times hunting WY. In the days before airlines charged for baggage, we used to bring home two 70# boxes of meat each, sometimes three if we were elk hunting. Now, depending on the airline and how much luggage you are bringing on the flight, one box each frozen with dry ice (check with airlines for regs) would work. We would mail our clothes and horns/antlers back home to FL. My Dad is a former Delta pilot, so he gets two checked bags free, so we usually carry two meat boxes and my double rifle case back, and sometimes one bag along as well. Much cheaper than shipping the meat from WY to South FL.

After a huge number of flights with frozen meat from many states I will say without hesitation dry ice adds nothing except weight, cost, and concerns for animals in the hold. A serious mass of frozen meat will not even begin to soften over 36 hours... far more time than you need to get home.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
After a huge number of flights with frozen meat from many states I will say without hesitation dry ice adds nothing except weight, cost, and concerns for animals in the hold. A serious mass of frozen meat will not even begin to soften over 36 hours... far more time than you need to get home.
Absolutely my experience too. We regularly travel with 18 gallon Rubbermaid Rough Neck totes secured with zip ties and have never had an issue with thawing.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

Very true Sitka. I actually hate using dry ice, and it is entirely possible that the airline will decline to ship it out on the flight if there are any live animals on board. Freezing it and boxing it up tight, especially with an insulated box, will get it there with no worries and without the issues of carrying dry ice.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for all the help. I’ll locate a processor close to where we are hunting and hopefully he can put a good freeze on it before we depart.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Butchered Antelope are small, less than 40 pounds. Freeze solid, pack in a box (butcher will have them), toss some clothes in the box, keep each box under 50 lbs. Check it in.

If you put dry ice in, the TSA agent will PROBABLY have to open it. If you have a direct flight, don't worry, if you have almost direct, don't worry. I flew home with a butchered elk in cardboard boxes, was ALMOST totally frozen, it was fine when I got it home from ID to NH.

Plan accordingly packing, you each get 2 backs to check in. Use a backpack for carry on and clothes, wear your hunting boots. Use one gun case for all guns etc. Goal is to fly out with 1, or maybe 2, checked bags, figure on 2 extra checked bags coming back for meat. Keep ALL bags under 50 lbs or you will pay $$

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just pray luggage doesn't get lost or miss the flight home. Happened to my dad and his buddy. They lost half an elk when he had two suitcase delivered 3 days after the flight (snowstorm + delayed flight+ luggage didn't make it on the plane for some reason). Delivery guy was wondering why his suitcase was dripping red liquid....

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
polarbearcooler.com size 48

Full of meat, this cooler bag will meet 50 lb baggage limit.
Baggage Handlers haven't damaged one yet.

I've been using them for a decade especially for bringing fish
home from Mexico in the summer.

Late October every year they have a 2 for 1 sale.

IC B3

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Cool or freeze the meat and place in a soft sided cooler (yeti or similar). Then just carry it on the plane and put in the overhead. If TSA asks tell them it’s organic meat. I do this several times a year flying across the country and never had an issue. Pronghorn are small and will easily fit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Plus one on the Polarbear coolers. Maybe not as tough as a Yeti but plenty good enough for me. If the processor can freeze the meat in a block inside the cooler it will be fine for three days or so as others have written. Had an Elk that sat on the run way for at least a day due to flight delays and it was fine and just starting to thaw when I picked it up.

I shipped a 50 qt. cooler full of sausage from Tx. to Fl. and the dang shipping was almost the price of a second ticket. UPS is good and you can track it easily if there are delays but carry on seems the way to go if possible. Ship the gear if your over the weight limit.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good info. I always wondered how meat could be shipped economically .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ejo
Cool or freeze the meat and place in a soft sided cooler (yeti or similar). Then just carry it on the plane and put in the overhead. If TSA asks tell them it’s organic meat. I do this several times a year flying across the country and never had an issue. Pronghorn are small and will easily fit.

Do not let the flight attendants see you putting meat in the overhead, frozen or not. Was on a flight a while back and the guy a couple rows in front of me had blood leaking from his bag down onto him. They made a couple announcements about what can be stored in the overhead and they said blood leaking from bags was not particularly rare and why they made it clear fish and meat were not to be put up there. They also said the worst offenders were beer growlers letting go at altitude. I had never heard of the meat ban previously.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1badf350, 1minute, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 59 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,167
Posts18,503,094
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.