Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
my 15 f250 is due. it doesn't get run much, less than 5k/yr.

or does it not really matter? walmart, etc? thats kind of been what i have done in the past.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Walmart batteries have worked fine for me. The only negative experience I ever had with any battery was a Duracell that I bought at Sams club. It went bad at about 1 year. I could not find the receipt, but wrote the date I installed it on the battery. The folks at Sams COULD have looked up the sales history, but gave me the a story that it would take 2-3 days to verify when I bought it. I just walked out and bought another battery elsewhere. Needed the truck today, and didn't really want another Duracell anyway.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are only something like 3 battery makers in the US. All the rest contract to have their names put on them. It's very difficult sometimes to find out who's battery you're buying. I've had good luck with Walmart's version but I don't know who makes them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Walmart batteries are produced by Deka. My brother in law works there. My quad battery is a Duracell and is also produced by Deka in Topton Pa.

Last edited by Berksbowman; 06/02/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Berksbowman
Walmart batteries are produced by Deka. My brother in law works there. My quad battery is a Duracell and is also produced by seek in Topton Pa.

Not everywhere. Around here they come from Johnson Controls.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It must be a regional supply chain then. I know Deka goes all over the US.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Diehards are the only ones I used that seemed to last and last. Interstate batteries (Mexican made) seem to go bad with the changing of the weather. I replaced 3 sets for my tractor in 3 years. Luckily they were all under warranty, but all were tested and were bad. The last set seems to be working longer. I hear the Optima batteries are now made in Mexico too and are not as good either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An aside.

I have been to Deka's factory.
There was a place where they handled batteries for recycling.
It was a sort of pit to check leaking acid.
There was a dip, where it drained to, a a forklift was driving through it.
You could smell the acid, and that forklift wasn't real pretty.

Just a quick observation as I drove around to the dock,
so I could be mistaken in what I saw. But it looked real nasty,
made me glad to be a truck driver.

Not a slam at Deka, I use their batteries, sure thats normal for the business.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Deka has a store on site. You can buy batteries there. I always buy blems. They are a fraction of the cost just cosmetic not up to par. On occasion my brother in law get me his free battery as an employee. You are spot on in that you would not want to work there. It's a great place to work but the work itself is dangerous and dirty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my experience, Interstate, NAPA Legend Premium, and Exide batteries are the best. If you don;t drive your truck often, you should consider using a battery tender to maintain the battery.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used Optima's for the last 10 years and have had really good luck with them

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
The two Odyssey batteries in my diesel truck are 11 years old with around 140,000 miles on them. Other batteries say they are sealed, but they're not - you still get off-gassing and battery terminal corrosion. Yes, they cost more than a regular battery but in the long run they're more than worth it. I run Odyssey batteries in everything - truck, boats and ATV's. Never a problem - ever.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't had the best of luck with Interstate Batteries even in mild conditions.

I have had good luck with Odyssey thus far.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I use Interstate with good results.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try the Ford dealership. Last battery's i bought for the diesel I had their warranty (I'm almost positive it was 7 years but its been a while) was far longer than any other battery dealer. They were in the same price range as everyone else.

Last edited by k20350; 06/05/19.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I have a 7.5 yo NAPA Gold? battery in wife’s van. Motorcraft (original) batteries* in the

Edit:
*Powerstroke batteries are 7+ years old.

Last edited by ironbender; 06/06/19.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have had the best luck with Deka batteries over the years. If I recall correctly, lead acid Super Start batteries from Oreilly Auto, NAPA brand batteries, and recent Duracell batteries found at Sams and Batteries Plus are all made by Deka. The part numbers were nearly identical the last time I checked. I replaced the battery in my Tundra a couple years ago with one from Interstate......kind of hesitant to do that but so far so good. I know several people and have read on various forums that quite a few people have had great results with the cheap batteries from Wal Mart. Excellent availability for the majority of vehicles and easy to find a Wal Mart should you need warranty assistance.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The best are Odyssey or XS. If you look at how they are built, they will put out cca at a high rate than similarly sized batteries. That said I run Napa premium because I can get the through work for free, well work pays.

β€œLighten up Francis”
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Another vote for Deka/west penn battery.Napa store batteries are also deka made.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I ran across this about Walmart batteries but I don't know if it's accurate.

Jason Johnson, Automotive Service Advisor (2016-present)

Most EverStart batteries are made by Exide with a few made by Delphi.

Johnson Control does not make batteries for Wal-Mart nor do they any longer make Interstate (now made by Exide.)

Common JCI battery brands are Optima and Duralast. New Duralast batteries come off of the same line as the old Interstate batteries with the same guts and warranty.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good? Lots.

Best? Odyssey is where my money goes.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Supposed list of who makes what: http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

Key messages from the link: Lead-acid battery manufacturers, distributors, exporters/importers, large chain/auto parts stores, or major dealers will often private label their batteries, for example in the North America, EverStart is private label for Walmart and DieHard for Sears and Kmart. These stores might have these private labeled batteries made by several manufacturers depending on the location to reduce shipping costs or to provide different types or sizes of batteries. Contracts with manufacturers might change.

That's why you see so many differing answers regarding who makes what. Retailers go with what gives them the largest margin, which inevitably changes over time and space. In the link you'll see same brands listed under different manufacturers.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by rem141r

or does it not really matter? walmart, etc? thats kind of been what i have done in the past.

I have a 99 dodge diesel that gets run very little any more. It's not parked in a place where I can get electricity to it to run a battery tender so I had a solar tender on it but that only lasted a couple of years before it crapped out. I got some battery disconnect terminals and simply turn them to disconnect the batteries when it's going to sit for a while, that's done a lot better at keeping the batteries from discharging.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Find out who made the battery in my 2007 TC30 new holland tractor. The damn thing has never been stored inside, temp ranges from low 100's above to -50. Never had a charger on it or a tender, damn thing won't quit. 12 yrs old now.

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by rem141r

I have a 99 dodge diesel that gets run very little any more. It's not parked in a place where I can get electricity to it to run a battery tender so I had a solar tender on it but that only lasted a couple of years before it crapped out. I got some battery disconnect terminals and simply turn them to disconnect the batteries when it's going to sit for a while, that's done a lot better at keeping the batteries from discharging.
Does the Dodge have a single battery? My '08 has 2. When did they make the switch?

― George Orwell

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
probably head to wally this week to see what they got. when it rains it pours. fridge crapped out right in the middle of a kitchen remodel which is over budget. and now i got a nasty red oak leaning over my bunk house at camp that makes me not want to have anybody sleep there and its over my chainsaw skill level. i am spending money like congress these days.

My diploma is a DD214
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

well...............

what did ya buy ?????????????

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Been buying Interstate blend for passenger cars with some success from my mechanic. Replaced the 12 year old batteries in the duramax with Chevy batteries just because they performed so well.

Used to think Optima were great but was disappointed- not much help about a sure thing battery mostly choose by convenience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.