-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Can anyone speak from experience with the No. 1 in .44 mag?

thanks

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lets open it up to general conversation...I got one coming my way and I can't wait.

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Looks like a sweet rifle, would like one in stainless.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd probably enjoy a rifle like that since shots at night on hogs are short range .
Thought about buying a CVA stainless 44mag. but they don't offer a threaded model - every 44mag today should come threaded IMO .
Always admired Ruger No. 1's saw a 45-70 new- locally $1400 about $300 higher than online prices - as usual .
Best of luck with the new rifle !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice gun thought of getting one. Never found one with decent wood. As a shooter gun does not make a lot of sense. As a example of a finely crafted gun unlike anything non custom on the market they make a lot of sense. They are a gun you like to fondle and appreciate at the range and nice weather hunting gun. For a full on hunting rig I think the 77/44 bolt action fits the bill much better. I have or have had an example nearly every model 44 mag rifle Ruger has ever made. For me the 77/44 is the pick of the litter for a hunting gun. For an example of fine craftsmanship and a classic style blued walnut firearm it is a toss up between the full stocked original carbine and the #1.

Everyone should own at least one example of #1 preferably with good wood or some oddball caliber. I got both in my 475 linebaugh. Lots of fun to shoot and most beautiful gun I own. Being similar to the 44 in possible uses I have some suggestions. Good luck on finding a scope. Eye relief was an issue. Only way to solve it was with a overly large scope or extension rings or ruger to weaver rail adapter and then rings. Really kills the lines of the gun and the handling for me. For you you might have better luck. I would go no larger than about 4 power on the top end if you want to try scoping it.

I went with a NECG rear peep sight and a NECG front fiber optic. Excellent combo. Was tempted to try a skinner peep. The rib needs to be removed to install it. Having heard horror stories of removing the rib I went he NECG route. Could not be happier.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I had one for a awhile. I have to agree with the last poster, the eye relief thing ruined it for me. I was going to have it bored out to 445 super mag for the Michigan limited cartridge zone. The one I recieved when ordered had piss poor wood and the other thing that bothered the hell out of me was the tang safety had a bunch of space under it on the front and back, like it was bowed upward at each end, perfect for snagging fibers etc.. I am sure ruger would have fixed it, but what the hell, doesent anyone look at these things before they leave the factory. Mine would not shoot very well with any thing I tried in mine, mostly reloads with heavier bullets, but tried the gold standard for Michigan LP limited zone (240 grain sp whitebox) and it did the same. Overall a disappointment. I mounted a 6x36 Leupold on mine and the eye relief was fine, except I could not get used to the long length of scope hanging over the tang. Sold mine down the road. These seem better for me with a peep on the receiver.

Good luck with yours, they sure do have a cool factor, and one with good wood is really nice.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have 3 no 1's 375 H&H, 30-06 and 45/70. I picked up a stainless 77/44 at end of deer season and put a factory walnut stock on it. I love the little rifle. Gonna be my go to here in SC since I never really shoot over 100yds anyway. The ruger has a 1:20 twist so it handles the heavier bullets better. The 77/44 is limited by mag length so id think with that no 1 you could stuff a bigger hard cast bullet in there than would fit in a repeater and be bad medicine. I think a 44 carbine is very underrated. They have no recoil and throw a good heavy bullet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought the 20" barrel would look too short, but in the photos anyway it looks pretty good, certainly handy. If I were laying out the bucks though, I'd probably go for the SS.30/30.

My Browning has a 24" barrel, good for the irons it wears. Paid a pretty penny, but you only live once, and everyone should have one or two nice ones.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I picked up a 77/44 synthetic at cabelas close out ;last year. My buddy got one at the same time. They both would shoot about 3 or 4 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards. That translated to being almost impossible to zero and keep on a sheet of paper at 100 yards. Both guns, any ammo, same problem. I hope the OP mileage varies.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
mine shoots touching at 50. Ive read mixed reviews though guess I got lucky

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Phoneman

I like the gun so much, I almost purchased a stainless synthetic version a few weeks ago. Because of my initial burn, I walked away. That and a friend was saying there was a problem with how ruger cut the chambers or throat on the 44mags? Based on your experience, I may go back and see if it is still in stock. I dont know, I just might.

Can you suggest any ammo. Preferable something 240 grain for deer.

I do recall now, it would sometimes (rarely) put 3 or more shots very close. Not consistent. As if it needed bedding or a new stock. I gave up after messing around a bit. Did yours shoot well with both stocks?

Last edited by fourbore; 05/28/19.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Trigger is a major reason. Put a new sear/spring in the 77/44 and that alone helps accuracy

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I

I have a #3 in 44 that does the same, 3 touching at 50 using HSM 305 gr wfngc. Lots of big black bears in the N GA mtns.
The Conquest 1.5-5 seems like the perfect optic on it.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the rare #1 .44's with good wood. Wish it shot better - also wish it had a 22" barrel as I think it would look better. Best 3 shot groups are about 1½-2" at 100 yards. The groove dia slugs at .4298" so I probably want bullets in the .431" to 432" range.

I've not had any luck finding a load that shoots well in both Revolvers and the #1. Tried seating bullets out, jacketed, etc. I have heard that they do better with heavier bullets, and have a box of 320gr Cast Performance to try. I can tell you the Hornady 225gr FTX knocks the crap out of pigs smile

So it's a nice looking gun, but a bit of a project. I really want to find one of the original .475 Linebaughs with a 22" barrel as I think it's a much better looking deal.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
tex n cal, The twist on the #3's in .44 Mag were 1~38". I would guess that the #1's are the same.

Oops! I just checked Ruger's website and the #1's are 1~20". That should shoot the 265 Hornady's to the 320 gr. Cast.

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by fourbore

I like the gun so much, I almost purchased a stainless synthetic version a few weeks ago. Because of my initial burn, I walked away. That and a friend was saying there was a problem with how ruger cut the chambers or throat on the 44mags? Based on your experience, I may go back and see if it is still in stock. I dont know, I just might.

I do recall now, it would sometimes (rarely) put 3 or more shots very close. Not consistent. As if it needed bedding or a new stock. I gave up after messing around a bit. Did yours shoot well with both stocks?

Originally Posted by fourbore

I hadnt shot it since i put wood stock on it. I shot 240gr gold dots/deep curl hollow points most but it seems to shoot my mid level cast 240’s fine too

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own a bunch of Ruger #1`s and do hunt with a Ruger #1 too , great great single shot rifles! hope you enjoy your new #1,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
tex n cal, The twist on the #3's in .44 Mag were 1~38". I would guess that the #1's are the same.

Oops! I just checked Ruger's website and the #1's are 1~20". That should shoot the 265 Hornady's to the 320 gr. Cast.

Yeah, I am thinking the heavier bullets may do better in this twist

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 36 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.