Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by pullit
Only good snake is a dead snake................

If you're talking pit vipers in the yard, I'd agree. But killing a snake just because it's a snake is ignorant. We have garter snakes that winter underneath the back porch slab and sun themselves in the same place every spring. Never hurt a thing, except the local mouse population.

We have copperheads too, I pick them up, move them a mile or so from the house. They scare people, but if you don’t Fuuck with them, they won’t bother you. I’ve been bit twice, stepped on one outside in the dark barefoot. I don’t go out without a flashlight now. The second time was my fault too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Copperhead snakes rely upon camouflage and cover for safety. When danger is perceived, Copperheads will usually freeze in place and remain motionless for the threat to pass or strike if the threat is close.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I need ta be at that place.

Get some trigger time and snake ID practice.
grin

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Once again, I'm thankful I live in the North. Never seen a poisonous snake within 100 miles of here.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by renegade50

grin

🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Good one 50!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Copperhead snakes rely upon camouflage and cover for safety. When danger is perceived, Copperheads will usually freeze in place and remain motionless for the threat to pass or strike if the threat is close.

[Linked Image]

They can be aggressive.

The neighbor mentioned above had one on the porch crawl toward him, and struck at him a couple of times on the front porch.

Took Buster out to pee one night (Had my flashlight) and he stopped at the edge of the patio, then jumped straight up... I moved the light down there, and there was a copperhead striking at him. I guess it hit him, but didn't get a fang in him.

Bandit was bitten in the face when he was about 6 months old. I saw him jump, and went to look, and never found the snake. But it got him good... Trip to the vet. frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Outside cats kept our last home in Texas pretty safe. Multiple dogs running around help too. Of course, everyone doesn't live in a place they can have them. If you live in snake country its best to develop a trained eye and teach it to your kids/grandkids too, ha.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Man ....
I would love the chance to fugg some snakes up out in the countryside with this.
Impractical ....
Ya. Kinda.
Fun
Hell ya....
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Always killing rattlers at the old mans place. Keeps the yard clean, but they're all coming from the neighboring property. Its about 30 acres the old man watches for the family. The house has long since collapsed but the old horse stalls and hog pens are still standing. Snake boots are a MUST out there. Wish you guys could see the size of the snake trails in those pens. Scary chit. Almost lost a dog years ago. Snake bit on the forehead. Vet said they were the biggest fang wounds he had ever seen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the concept that killing snakes indiscriminately is ignorant.

I've got all sorts of non-poisonous snakes around the farm and the house-- garters, hog-noses, black rats, black racers. They're a tremendous boon.

I've got a black rat snake-- sucker must be over 8 feet long-- that lives in the foundation of the farmhouse. When he's around the rodent population goes to zero. I've only seen him once, but he leaves a massive shed skin every summer in the same place. The only way I know he's still around is that a ventilation grate gets moved twice a year-- once in the spring and once in the fall. That's when I know he's moving in or moving out.

Copperheads on the other hand? I'd go out of my way to kill one.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Always killing rattlers at the old mans place. Keeps the yard clean, but they're all coming from the neighboring property. Its about 30 acres the old man watches for the family. The house has long since collapsed but the old horse stalls and hog pens are still standing. Snake boots are a MUST out there. Wish you guys could see the size of the snake trails in those pens. Scary chit. Almost lost a dog years ago. Snake bit on the forehead. Vet said they were the biggest fang wounds he had ever seen.

Funny as it sounds, there no rattlers in a big area where we live. For several miles radius, it's pretty well known that no rattlers are here. Lots of copperheads. An occasional cottonmouth.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

[Linked Image]

They can be aggressive.

The neighbor mentioned above had one on the porch crawl toward him, and struck at him a couple of times on the front porch.

Took Buster out to pee one night (Had my flashlight) and he stopped at the edge of the patio, then jumped straight up... I moved the light down there, and there was a copperhead striking at him. I guess it hit him, but didn't get a fang in him.

Bandit was bitten in the face when he was about 6 months old. I saw him jump, and went to look, and never found the snake. But it got him good... Trip to the vet. frown

The camo statement is spot on...some of the best camo I've ever seen .

Can honestly say I've never heard or seen one actually get aggressive.

However that camo and the accidentally stepping on them can certainly get a reaction...

Had to pry one off my boot one night, literally. But he bit because I was standing on him, so I don't really think that was aggressive... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
laugh

Just a love peck. All it was... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Use to go down to Bull Run as a kid, and there were zillions of them down there it seems...

we young boys use to go out hunting them... usually with a hoe or shovel... to take their heads off with...

and when I say Bull Run... yeah the same Bull Run that there was two Civil War Battles named after it..

Manassas VA....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by renegade50

grin

Dammit!

Beat me to it.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lotsa lakes around where i grew up

Rocks piled up around the banks to avoid erosion On warm spring early summer theyd crawl outa the rocks to sun themselves

Hot jambalaya them sobs were plentiful. Loved whacking their damn heads off with a machete

Even though I’ve not seen as many here ( ok none ) I still keep a bottle of whiskey handy.

If you’re gonna die, best to go out a lil buzzed

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'd rather have copperheads than rattlers.

Here's one I shot a couple years ago. 6 footer.

Bite from this bad boy would mess up your day! shocked

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
your snake stories always give me the creeps. i hate them fuggen things.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

[Linked Image]

The camo statement is spot on...some of the best camo I've ever seen .

Amazing how well the coloration matches those Live Oak leaves all over the ground. Seeing as how the Live Oaks are associated with cicada which copperheads seem to prefer to eat, it's an illustration of perfect adaptation.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rem141r
your snake stories always give me the creeps. i hate them fuggen things.

laugh

That one I spotted on my tractor as I drove through a gate at a fellow rancher's cattle pens...

It was trying to crawl into a culvert, so I grabbed my .45, and jumped off the tractor and had to grab it by the tail and pull it out of the culvert so I could shoot it.

You can see the two holes at the base of his head made by 230gr hardball.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

418 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,184
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.