Campfire Ranger
V
Toss up between spam and the A bomb😆

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by smokepole
Hydroelectric dams in the northwest provided the huge amounts of electricity necessary to smelt the aluminum for aircraft fuselages.

Grand Coulee dam is credited with being THE most critical component of the Manhatten Project as it supplied the massive amounts of electricity to power the Uranium separation process at Hanford Wa.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by viking
Toss up between spam and the A bomb😆

Don't forget J R Simplot and his dehydrated mashed potatoes. Produced in plants built specifically for the war effort.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The collective will of the American people won WW2, not any single device or idea.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The invention that won WW2 was the Russian Communist.

Don't forget that $11B ($190B today) of lend-lease we gave Uncle Joe.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deuce and a half, or 6x6 for the Jarheads, plus Liberty ships. Logistics, logistics, logistics...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The Atlantic and Pacific Oceans were a pretty big help.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Liberty ships.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Logistics big time, and on the spot decision making at individual, squad, platoon, and company level to start with.
Low level and higher level leadership was not suppressed by 1 man at the top like Hitler after Stalingrad or Tojo in Japan.

Last edited by renegade50; 06/09/19.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
some suggest hitler lost the war when he invited russian blood to be spilt.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One might make an argument for all the inventions noted above, plus radar. No single invention won the war, although they all contributed, and of course the atom bomb ended it.

Kudos, however, to those who mentioned the Greatest Generation as being THE key. And that includes all of that generation, most certainly those who served by producing the other inventions and those who fed all of the rest.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honestly don't think any one invention won the war by itself although many of them influenced tactics and may have shortened the war. The combination of Russian manpower in the East armed with "good enough" weapons and American logistics on the Western front and in the Pacific made it unwinnable for Germany or Japan.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve

"I would like to express my candid opinion about Stalin's views on whether the Red Army and the Soviet Union could have coped with Nazi Germany and survived the war without aid from the United States and Britain. First, I would like to tell about some remarks Stalin made and repeated several times when we were "discussing freely" among ourselves. He stated bluntly that if the United States had not helped us, we would not have won the war. If we had had to fight Nazi Germany one on one, we could not have stood up against Germany's pressure, and we would have lost the war. No one ever discussed this subject officially, and I don't think Stalin left any written evidence of his opinion, but I will state here that several times in conversations with me he noted that these were the actual circumstances. He never made a special point of holding a conversation on the subject, but when we were engaged in some kind of relaxed conversation, going over international questions of the past and present, and when we would return to the subject of the path we had traveled during the war, that is what he said. When I listened to his remarks, I was fully in agreement with him, and today I am even more so." -Khrushchev Memoirs of Nikita Khrushchev: Commissar, 1918-1945, Volume 1

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Hydroelectric dams in the northwest provided the huge amounts of electricity necessary to smelt the aluminum for aircraft fuselages.

Grand Coulee dam is credited with being THE most critical component of the Manhatten Project as it supplied the massive amounts of electricity to power the Uranium separation process at Hanford Wa.

Uranium separation was undertaken at Oak Ridge and the result was the uranium U-235 bomb dropped on Hiroshima. Uranium only contains .72% U-235.

Hanford produced a man made element, plutonium. The New Mexico desert bomb and the Nagasaki bombs were Plutonium weapons. Grand Coulee power was critical for supplying power to the Hanford operations.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

"I would like to express my candid opinion about Stalin's views on whether the Red Army and the Soviet Union could have coped with Nazi Germany and survived the war without aid from the United States and Britain. First, I would like to tell about some remarks Stalin made and repeated several times when we were "discussing freely" among ourselves. He stated bluntly that if the United States had not helped us, we would not have won the war. If we had had to fight Nazi Germany one on one, we could not have stood up against Germany's pressure, and we would have lost the war. No one ever discussed this subject officially, and I don't think Stalin left any written evidence of his opinion, but I will state here that several times in conversations with me he noted that these were the actual circumstances. He never made a special point of holding a conversation on the subject, but when we were engaged in some kind of relaxed conversation, going over international questions of the past and present, and when we would return to the subject of the path we had traveled during the war, that is what he said. When I listened to his remarks, I was fully in agreement with him, and today I am even more so." -Khrushchev Memoirs of Nikita Khrushchev: Commissar, 1918-1945, Volume 1

Paul Harvey once said that Stalin spoke English quite well yet always used an interpreter. No one outside of his close associates knew he knew English. In meetings with Roosevelt and Churchill, he overheard talk that wasn't intended for him and he always had a little extra thinking time before his interpreter could translate.

It wasn't an invention but Hitler's divide and conquer policy cost them big. They needed to take other countries 1 at a time, not all at once.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Enigma machine.

I'm going to assume you mean the breaking of the Enigma codes. I don't think there was any one invention that won the war, but the work of English and American code breakers certainly had a major influence on the eventual result.

They knew so much about what was going on that they had to make great efforts to fabricate plausible reasons why they knew what they knew, so the enemy wouldn't figure out that the codes were broken and change the system. This would include having observation planes make a "fortunate" appearance where they already knew the enemy was going to be.

An excellent novel about all this (and a lot else) is Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No contest ,Fat Man and Little Boy.You can put all the others mentioned here and they won't come close.How many months, even years were we fighting in the Pacific theater and the Japanese surrendered in days after us dropping these two.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
uncle joe has been paraphrased as sayin' that the us supplied equipment & logistics, england supplied the planning, and russia supplied the blood to win ww2.

i guess at the 50,000 feet level, there's some truth in that statement.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
An argument can be made for the Norden bomb sight.

Our enemies used the “spray and pray” method from anything above a few thousand feet.

A device that allowed us to accurately drop bombs from 10 times that altitude, an altitude that defied accurate flack, and limited fighter attack to a few minutes.
It allowed us to decimate axis infrastructure, factories, fuel and ammo depots to devastating effect.

MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, BALLISTIK, 8 invisible), 1,280 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,234
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.