Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a whole lotta 22s I could keep by the back door but my mainstay is an old springfield savage 120. Silly accurate with ironsites. Did pick up a clean used bl22 last weekend. Always wanted one but never wanted to pay a new price, this one saved me a couple hundred bucks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"What's not to love"

Winchester 1906 22 short, long and long rifle. 3rd generation ownership and not a safe queen.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by k22hornet
Back in the very early 90's, Federal was 'miffed' that USA Olympic shooters would not use USA made 22lr during competition, and set about to solve the puzzle of hyper-accurate rimfire ammo.

I read that they spent about $1mil in R&D on this.

There were several reasons, with Number 1 being consistent rim-thickness, followed by consistency in adding the primer mixture to the case/rim, consistent powder drops, etc..

In such a small case, little changes can make a noticeable difference.

Federal petty much just copied Russian 22 that the US competitors couldn't beat. The case head had a dimple in the middle that ensured all the priming compound went to the rim & was evenly distributed. About 1996.
Federal had about 3 part numbers of match ammo. Thinking the best was #900(don't hold me to this number), reportedly it was hand loaded with sorted bullets & went to Olympic competitors. The machine loaded match was 900B & still had the dimple in the base. The other at the time, reportedly training ammo was still pretty good stuff.
The USA took a gold & a silver. Federal then dropped it but deserve a lot of credit for helping the US Olympic team the way they did.

I had some of the lower grade 900B & it seemed comparable to Ely Tenex, a high order. The hand loaded stuff went big prices when found.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Federal is selling RWS R-50 in some of their boxes now, according to some on rimfirecentral. I'm not sure which lot #s of which SKU#, but that's the take. If that is the case, there's some good ammo masquerading as Federal out there.
In the past few years, I've not had any kind of luck at all with Federal ammo, it might as well be Remington rimfire, which is only one step above nothing at all.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by k22hornet
Back in the very early 90's, Federal was 'miffed' that USA Olympic shooters would not use USA made 22lr during competition, and set about to solve the puzzle of hyper-accurate rimfire ammo.

I read that they spent about $1mil in R&D on this.

There were several reasons, with Number 1 being consistent rim-thickness, followed by consistency in adding the primer mixture to the case/rim, consistent powder drops, etc..

In such a small case, little changes can make a noticeable difference.

Federal petty much just copied Russian 22 that the US competitors couldn't beat. The case head had a dimple in the middle that ensured all the priming compound went to the rim & was evenly distributed. About 1996.
Federal had about 3 part numbers of match ammo. Thinking the best was #900(don't hold me to this number), reportedly it was hand loaded with sorted bullets & went to Olympic competitors. The machine loaded match was 900B & still had the dimple in the base. The other at the time, reportedly training ammo was still pretty good stuff.
The USA took a gold & a silver. Federal then dropped it but deserve a lot of credit for helping the US Olympic team the way they did.

I had some of the lower grade 900B & it seemed comparable to Ely Tenex, a high order. The hand loaded stuff went big prices when found.

The rest of the story I read was that the US (don't know specifically who) stole a box or two of the Russian ammo so it could be dissected to determine what made it so good.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Winchester model 77. It was my first rifle. Managed to find a couple of extra mags for it . I love it. On the fence about whether or not to drill for a sling.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Excellent thread & info; subscribed.

Joe
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (160user, 10ring1, 222ND, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,571
Posts18,531,909
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.