Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Toyota.......problem is it's hard to find a nice used one because people tend to hang on to them.

And also because they rust away faster than an ice cream bar melts in the desert.

Good point......we all know American vehicles never rust.

Another factor would be that he lives in FL where they salt the roads 365 days a year.

Yep......stay away from those Toyota's.

Hey, sorry if I hurt your feelings but they rusted extremely fast up here. Other trucks of the same vintage are still workable, rebuildable. But I would have to go outside of the area or find one that has been brought into my area and stored in a shed, kept off the snow.

It's a real thing, in the same exposures as other trucks in my area, they disintegrated.

I'm on my 6th Tacoma (since 2000) and never had one rust. However, I've had every one undercoated. The resale value on a good clean Tacoma is amazing. I love them. My current one is a 2018. I think I'll keep this one for awhile. Then again, I've said that a few times before. smile

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was the OP, I'd lood for a 2004 or later Tacoma with the long bed, either X-tra Cab or Double Cab. The longer bed would likely offer enough room for sleeping. There's enough power to tow a trailer, and it'll get around 17mpg average with a 32" tire. Maintenance is pretty low. If money is tighter than that, a 1997-2004 model in Xtra-Cab would be a good choice.

I've got a 2011 short-bed Double Cab these days and it's been low-maintenance so far. I drive a 30mpg car many days that I'm not going offroad, but I use the Tacoma for work and for play in place of a UTV (which costs about as much). Will likely keep the Tacoma, even when I buy another "good truck" somewhere on down the line. I know several folks with 3/4 ton trucks and such, that also have a 10-20yr old Tacoma 4wd in the driveway.

[Linked Image]

Now with even more aplomb
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys have had your nutsacks in the water too long.

3000 mile round trip?? In an 85 Toyota?

Frogsnacks!

Then Dave suggests an old 6 cyl Highboy.....then we have a Power Wagon.....

Whats wrong with you people?

Maybe I will suggest my 63 Scout?

I didn't say high boy, i said hald ton. Soft ride.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Quote,I know several folks with 3/4 ton trucks and such, that also have a 10-20yr old Tacoma 4wd in the driveway.

I have a 97 F350 7.3, 02 F350 7.3 , 05 F250 6.0 and my 05 Tacoma:)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys have had your nutsacks in the water too long.

Frogsnacks!

Laughing...
I drove a 1960 Scout from Salt Lake City to San Diego one summer. I'd sure never do that again.
I also wouldn't have another truck without A/C and an automatic trans.

Northern Dave does great work but sheesh man, it's 2019 fer cry'n out loud.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Budget and options on truck??

Do need 4 wheel drive?

For every day commuter in Florida and one trip a year out west

I would get a dependable awd car vs a truck

I love Toyota’s and have a number of trucks and Tacoma and have a Tundra now . Owned dodge diesels too. But had used a Honda CRV and used for elk hunting with chains in Washington Idaho Montana. Clearance wasn’t the best but would go anywhere even in snow. I live in the mountains and have elk on my property. Got over a 100 inches of snow at house last year

I’d look at a used Subaru or Rav 4 too. Don’t see need for 4x4 in your situation but if set on it a Used Tacoma with long bed or a 2011 or 2012 Dodge diesel with emissions removed if allowed in Florida

I wouldn’t go over 10 years old if want every day dependable vehicle with all the amenities. I likes my comforts.

I like blue tooth for pod casts ( wtf are pod casts?) and satellite radio for long trips and commutes so older vehicles out for me.

Last edited by ribka; 06/10/19.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Best answer for most of you that want to get economy and comfort is to stay your ass home and just read about trips and trucks on the campfire. Lol

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ribka

I like blue tooth for pod casts ( wtf are pod casts?) and satellite radio for long trips and commutes

I like sunsets and long walks on the beach. Preferably while listening to podcasts.

Last edited by SockPuppet; 06/10/19.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

I like blue tooth for pod casts ( wtf are pod casts?) and satellite radio for long trips and commutes

I like sunsets and long walks on the beach. Preferably while listening to podcasts.

Just make sure your boy friend wears a condom after your romantic sunset walk 😉

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Toyota.......problem is it's hard to find a nice used one because people tend to hang on to them.

And also because they rust away faster than an ice cream bar melts in the desert.

Good point......we all know American vehicles never rust.

Another factor would be that he lives in FL where they salt the roads 365 days a year.

Yep......stay away from those Toyota's.

Hey, sorry if I hurt your feelings but they rusted extremely fast up here. Other trucks of the same vintage are still workable, rebuildable. But I would have to go outside of the area or find one that has been brought into my area and stored in a shed, kept off the snow.

It's a real thing, in the same exposures as other trucks in my area, they disintegrated.

I'm on my 6th Tacoma (since 2000) and never had one rust. However, I've had every one undercoated. The resale value on a good clean Tacoma is amazing. I love them. My current one is a 2018. I think I'll keep this one for awhile. Then again, I've said that a few times before. smile

Umm...it's because you get a new one every 3 years.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Everyone want a 4 wheel drive lazy boy with a back massager and a built in laptop so they can fight on the internet all the way to elk camp.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You could buy or build a house without central heat, AC and electricity , no internet, no WiFi, no washing machine too and live like 150 years ago - kind of like like birdie and suffer. But why would you?

Originally Posted by NVhntr
You guys have had your nutsacks in the water too long

Frogsnacks!

Laughing...
I drove a 1960 Scout from Salt Lake City to San Diego one summer. I'd sure never do that again.

Last edited by ribka; 06/10/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One "new" thing that is nice, even on a 4x4 that isn't a primary vehicle, is a backup camera. Sure makes hooking up to a trailer easier. Let's you get closer to drop-offs / holes and such when maneuvering in tight quarters also. Cameras started becoming common on mid-grade trim levels around 2010-2011 or so.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You could buy or build a house without central heat, AC and electricity , no internet, no WiFi, no washing machine too and live like 150 years ago - kind of like like birdie and suffer. But why would you?

Originally Posted by NVhntr
You guys have had your nutsacks in the water too long

Frogsnacks!

Laughing...

LMAO

no hot water.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by JPro
One "new" thing that is nice, even on a 4x4 that isn't a primary vehicle, is a backup camera. Sure makes hooking up to a trailer easier. Let's you get closer to drop-offs / holes and such when maneuvering in tight quarters also. Cameras started becoming common on mid-grade trim levels around 2010-2011 or so.

I do love those cameras.

Blast it!

I'm one of them!!

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well, kinda, sorta. I had my first one, a 2000 for ten years. People were amazed how rust free the frame and undercarriage was. So, I continued having the rest undercoated also. Also helps the resale/trade value.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't need no fancy camera on my old Jeep, as it didn't even have a roof, but it did have a 35" rear-mounted spare tire right square in my line of sight. Just big enough to block out a John Deere riding mower in the driveway. Found that out the hard way..... haha

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Everyone want a 4 wheel drive lazy boy with a back massager and a built in laptop so they can fight on the internet all the way to elk camp.

My last prairie dog trip we took a lake model 4x4 Sub LTZ. Thinking we were about as close to a lazy boy as we could get. 15 rifles & 3000 rounds of ammo made it ride good too.

Ahhh.... but I paid my dues before I became master go wester. My first trip was in a 1953 International school bus that had been made into a camper. When folks would ask, we'd tell 'em we weren't worried, it had a '55 motor in it. Me sitting on the front fender fiddling with the timing & carb screws trying to get it up the mountain to the Eisenhower tunnel was an experience. You can bet your sweet bippy I wasn't sitting on the fender on the way down the other side! crazy

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the 3k mile trip thing would make it tough for me to get an old truck. and you don't say how old or what your budget is. that said, i'd look at a mid-2000's tacoma with <100k miles and have it checked out real good by a mechanic unless you are one.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Birdwatcher gonna recommend a Honda Monkey.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 007FJ, 1234, 1_deuce, 50 invisible), 1,789 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,106
Posts18,522,542
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.