Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The soaring music like something big is about to happen.

The baritone voice telling you how big a deal this is.

The slow motion shot of hunting boots splashing through a shallow creek.

The backslapping that ensues.

Never honor the animal by saying "Thank you" and stroke the fur.

Rant Over

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget the fist bumping, kneeling and praying, and jumping around celebrating that monster trophy six point dink.

Oh and on the LR shows the pictures of the animal shot don't always match the animal "recovered" the next day because they were to far away to tract that evening.

Also, hunting the "named animals" Ole mossy, drop tine buck, etc, etc, etc.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No one forces you to watch. Turn the channel if those shows bother you. Easier than pissing and moaning on the 'fire.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On an evening hunt, "He ran so we're gonna back off and come back in the morning" is just code for "We're gonna let the animal sit overnight so we have better camera light in the morning."

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Oh the humanity of our first world problems....

Todd

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't say I have ever honored an animal by saying "thank you" right after I put a bullet in it. I do feel that if you're not excited after shooting something you should get a different hobby that does make you excited when you're successful. Ever given a handshake and give a sincere "congrats" to someone who just killed a deer? It's not a fist bump, but the meaning is the same. It just may not be everyone's way.

Call me a shïtty, unethical hunter. I don't care. Doing everything exactly the way the OP seems to desire won't change the anti's mind. Maybe some middle ground folks, but not the ones that really matter. I don't know if I'll put a picture up on the 'net of me riding a dead elk like it's a bull or anything, but I sure as hell won't bow to the anti's by not getting excited after shooting something I have put a lot of effort into shooting.

Rant over.

S
S
My favorite show, Meat Eater, doesn’t appear to fit this mold...

Last wish? I wish... you had... more time.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OP, where's the link to the shows you've filmed? Kidding aside, there are some trends in the hunting shows like you mentioned that annoy me too. Probably the biggest is the whispering when they are getting out of the car or miles from their intended hunting area. I have several elk hunting videos posted on youtube and learned what viewers like and dislike over the years. The biggest thing I've learned is there's always someone somewhere that will hate what you've done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Newberg and Rinella are the only shows of that nature I care to watch. IMHO a grown man that identifies as a “Deer Thug” does not represent the sport in a positive light.

Last edited by AKduck; 06/11/19.

Yup.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I can't say I have ever honored an animal by saying "thank you" right after I put a bullet in it. I do feel that if you're not excited after shooting something you should get a different hobby that does make you excited when you're successful. Ever given a handshake and give a sincere "congrats" to someone who just killed a deer? It's not a fist bump, but the meaning is the same. It just may not be everyone's way.

Call me a shïtty, unethical hunter. I don't care. Doing everything exactly the way the OP seems to desire won't change the anti's mind. Maybe some middle ground folks, but not the ones that really matter. I don't know if I'll put a picture up on the 'net of me riding a dead elk like it's a bull or anything, but I sure as hell won't bow to the anti's by not getting excited after shooting something I have put a lot of effort into shooting.

Rant over.

This^^^^ There are many excellent hunts and hunters on You Tube as well as the jerks. If I finally kill a wolf I will probably jump backwards through my a whole.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
OP, where's the link to the shows you've filmed? Kidding aside, there are some trends in the hunting shows like you mentioned that annoy me too. Probably the biggest is the whispering when they are getting out of the car or miles from their intended hunting area. I have several elk hunting videos posted on youtube and learned what viewers like and dislike over the years. The biggest thing I've learned is there's always someone somewhere that will hate what you've done.

We not only whisper getting out of the truck but we often close the doors softly. But there's also no reason to think there can't be a Deer within 200 yards of anywhere I happen to park.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
No one forces you to watch. Turn the channel if those shows bother you. Easier than pissing and moaning on the 'fire.

Yeah maybe you’d be better off watching Ellen.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKduck
Newberg and Rinella are the only shows of that nature I care to watch. IMHO a grown man that identifies as a “Deer Thug” does not represent the sport in a positive light.

Me too!

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
can't say I watch them anymore as the TV was figuratively shot over 15 years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing that bugs me is when they video everything from packing their gear, kissing the wife and kids goodbye, shopping for gear, buying their tags, loading gear on the float plane, staring longingly as the plane fly's away, bacon frying in the pan, lacing up their boots, etc... I know it's all meant to show the "flavor" of the hunt, but in many cases it burns 15 minutes of the 21 minute show. Leave out the background music.

I'd way sooner see them sit down and interview the outfitter or guide and ask them questions about the game they are hunting, gear, tactics they use, and what makes or breaks a hunt in the opinion of the guide/outfitter. I think this is where many youtube videos have it right. You get to see and learn about country and animals you may never personally see all with no commercials or over-the-top advertising with gear the celebrity hunter is using

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always taken a moment to reflect on the fact that I've taken a life and to appreciate the animal or it's involuntary sacrifice, if not overtly thanking it. Have taught my girls to do the same.

Fist bumps? No, never. We shake hands and hug.

Whisper and close close the doors softly? Often - but depends on where we are. Not much point when you're hunting elk in the sage and can literally see far further than voices or door slams would carry. (Miles in some cases.)

Hunting shows, as a rule, turn me off, but so do many gun rag articles about hunting, especially when they claim they took a shot because they couldn't get closer. "They" as in hunter, guide(s) and camera and sound crew. Hell, no wonder they can't get closer.

For me it is kind of like my relationship with pro sports. Enjoyed sports as a kid when I played them but never could get excited about watching them. Pro football is the lone exception and even then I'm an unabashed fair-weather fan and very selective. Used to know several players and wife taught a couple (including Roger Craig), so we watched their teams when we could. We do watch the Broncos, but on DVR delay so we can skip the commercials. Bronco's Sunday is a great day to go to the range.

I don't care that the hunting videos are made, although I have no respect for the methods and actions of some of the people in them. Nor do I care if people watch them. I have better things to do. I'm more likely to read an article in the gun rags, but even those I often skip.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Morewood

Rant Over

Solo hunter shows where the guy is carrying his iphone on a stick are horrendous

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to me most of the shows are about getting big antlers. As meat hunters, antlers don't count for much with my group.

What is important to me is the social aspect of the hunt. Over the years I've hunted with very good friends, a couple real losers and a lot of family. The good friends are gone with one exception and these days it is mostly family, whether antelope in WY or deer and elk in CO. (I joke we rent out the west wing of the hotel in WY.) Whether I get an animal or not takes a back seat to helping family members get theirs, even though that attitude has cost me several elk in the last few years. No biggie,

When Daughter #1 gets her first elk - hopefully this year, after 3 years of trying - there will be a lot of hugs, handshakes and backslaps. Those that don't think such behavior is appropriate are advised not to watch.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I enjoy Solo Hunter. Great country, mostly public land DIY and shows the difficulty of real hunting, especially the solo aspect magnified by trying to film the hunt. Those guys cover a lot of tough country and hunt for meat as well as racks.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Rant over.

Agree 100%.

The problem with hunting shows is there is a target audience and most middle to above average hunters do not fall into that audience. A show makes money by sponsors. The show must pay the network for the airtime. Sponsors want to see ratings and high viewing numbers. No different than the major network TV shows. I have no desire to sit in front of a TV period personally. I rather be outdoors living life.

Newberg and Rinella, Ben O'Brian, John Lee the "GUIDE" and the whole BHA you can keep. I have no use for them. But if tuning into their stuff makes you happy so be it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only one I watch is Jim Shockey.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yeah I like his show.

S
S
Originally Posted by moosemike

Yeah I like his show.

I agree. He’s a good guy and puts out a quality product for viewing.

Last wish? I wish... you had... more time.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spartan24

Yeah I like his show.

I just ran into him in O'Hare airport last week. I didn't want to come off as a teenage girl, so I just shook his hand, told him I enjoyed his show and liked his song. He seemed surprised that someone recognized him and came across as a nice guy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Spartan24

Yeah I like his show.

I just ran into him in O'Hare airport last week. I didn't want to come off as a teenage girl, so I just shook his hand, told him I enjoyed his show and liked his song. He seemed surprised that someone recognized him and came across as a nice guy.

Yep. Met him once at a Cabela’s grand opening. He was nice and seemed very cordial.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There are some great shows (lack of a better term) on YouTube. " The hunting public " and "Hushin" are 2 YouTube channels worth checking out. They both center around hunting public land and are extremely successful.

But I do enjoy "McMillan". Its a little cheesy, but find it entertaining.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is the best I have seen...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is the best I have seen...
]

so good

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How about Uncle Ted?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My TV show can beat up your TV show.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You tube is where its at for me for my hunting shows. I enjoy the whole aspect of hunting from getting ready to go to travel and the the hunt. So I don't mind more than just the hunt. Some of these guys are hunting today and getting the content on tomorrow.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Most of my screentime is spent on You Tube. The adventure sports, climbing, backcountry skiing, kayaking as well as hunting are well represented by many skilled amateurs. The latest in motion stabilized cameras and drones produce amazing footage and editing services like Chopshop have seriously raised the production values. Living vicariously has never been better and it sure beats watching re runs of Lucy and Desi.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
They’re not all bad. MeatEater and anything from Randy Newberg are my favorites. There’s also some pretty good YouTube content, a lot of it isn’t edited for TV, it’s oftentimes just raw footage from a hunt.

I can’t stand a lot of the stuff on TV. If they mention the ranch they’re hunting on, I’ll google it. If it’s high fence, I stop watching. My biggest pet peeve though is the hosts who make it seem like they’re “waging war” on the deer or “unleashing their wrath” on the game they’re hunting. It’s a disgusting way to look at it, and not the kind of image that should be advertised to non-hunters who might have tuned in.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Randy has a great show. My other favorite is The Hunting Public... probably the best and most underrated show on the tube.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
W
W
Originally Posted by Morewood

Rant Over

I'm in total agreement with you on the overt dramaticism, it's sickening.

However, in terms of "thanking" the animal, that would never happen, nor is it necessary. You re entitled to your opinion and belief system but I don't apologize. Animals of any kind are a resource and God's gifts to steward in the most responsible manner, yet used for our purposes, That includrd disposal or even exhibited as a trophy, If I see fit. No apology, no thanks , and certainly no reverence for their alleged sacrifice. Only respect and responsible use application like any other resource.

The animals are here for Man. Man is not here for the animals, or nature, the earth, the planets or any other esoteric proclivity bordering on pagan beliefs

EDIT: IF someone wants to do that because they are convicted to do so- by all means have at it. Yet that type of reverence and gratitude does not even remotely benefit the animal which just died by blunt force trauma via projectile. Nor will they ever know one way or the other.
If that type of ritual is meant to curry favor with the anti crowd-again forget it. Those Nazis don't care because they have an Agenda which is all about control and oppression, not stewardship or honorable intentions

Last edited by waveone; 07/15/19.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Someone said before on this semi-regular thread that, rather than criticize, you don't have to watch the shows if you think they're goofy and you don't like them. So I don't watch them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like Jason matzinger and Cody Robbins... the farm, aka back east whitetail hunts get pretty old...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Did the OP really say "tell it thank you" and even worse "stroke it's fur"?!
Are you trying to eat it or [bleep] it?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Kinda like the old Ivory Soap commercial...99 & 44/100 % pure...garbage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate it when they thank the animal for it's "sacrifice". Ain't no animal out there giving it's life to you. You have to take it.

W
W
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Did the OP really say "tell it thank you" and even worse "stroke it's fur"?!
Are you trying to eat it or [bleep] it?

LOL. and I thought I would be called out for being too harsh.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
I like Jason matzinger and Cody Robbins... the farm, aka back east whitetail hunts get pretty old...

Yeaaaaaah, Matzinger - all man, that guy. whistle whistle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like Jason matzinger

Congratulations on being the first man I’ve ever heard admit that. Matzinger is a fraud

Last edited by huntsonora; 07/15/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Matzinger is a fraud

How so?

I am not arguing one way or the other....I know absolutely nothing about the guy, good or bad.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like Jason matzinger

Congratulations on ring the first man I’ve ever heard admit that. Matzinger is a fraud

Why’s that?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Loves hunting landlocked public ground and pawning it off as true public when it’s not ground anybody else can get to. Never seen him with a #landlocked on his social media posts....

Entering a mountain goat hunt he killed and filmed with a rifle into the “full draw” film tour. Hint, full draw is for archery hunts

My beef with him is more personal. He came after me on social media last year and it didn’t go so well for him. He went to editing and deleting stuff and that’s chickenchit. He might be a good photographer or videographer but he’s not a killer. He couldn’t kill himself if you locked him in a barn with a pistol. He’s more about self promotion than anything

Honestly, that pic that SKane posted ought to tell you all you need to know

Last edited by huntsonora; 07/15/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
🤣🤣 copy that

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He came after me on social media last year and it didn’t go so well for him.

I generally avoid social media (other than this site and a couple others) but it does seem that those who become quasi famous get a big head in a big hurry. This isn't just related to hunters...but any person getting a name in their passion via social media. They'll start doing anything to get an edge and make themselves look better, even if it is shady, cheating or straight up illegal.

Honesty, there's hunters on this site and who I know in person that are not on any website---who have impressed me more than any youtube or social media sensation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]

LMFAO

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
all these hunting shows suck period ! i would rather watch the news

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53

^^^^^This^^^^^

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Western Hunter is definitely worth watching!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Especially when you see gay photos of em, and hear what biitches they are.. 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Especially when you see gay photos of em, and hear what biitches they are.. 😂😂

We have a large number of TV hunters here that have hunted on area plantations. I’ve met 99% of them through my job. The majority of them are pompous pricks. Their knowledge of hunting is suspect at best, and they wouldn’t know how to kill a deer if it snuck up on them and bit them in the ass. Hell, one of em is even gay! Nicknamed the “Rump Ranger” by others in the industry! You see him every week on TV if you watch the shows. No, don’t pm me asking who he is...

Who are the good guys? Shocky is the real deal. Nick Mundt is a natural born hunter...hard hunter. Meat Eater. A few others as well.

The stars of the fishing shows are even worse, with the exception of Bill Dance. He’s a great guy and a true gentleman.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Shocky is the real deal.

Never heard of the rest of those guys but I have heard from a couple different Yukon guides that Shockey is anything but the real deal.

Never met the man myself, let alone hunted with him, but that's what I have heard from the north country.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
He’s a hard man to work for.....he expects a LOT from his guides and puts up with no BS behind the scenes.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My buddies in NW Oklahoma had some prime ground in SW KS back when there were landowner tags. They said the Realtree bunch were a bunch of egomaniacs with the exception of Blanton who is a good guy. Not much good to say about Jourdan and Waddell at all. Said Jackie Bushman was very nice, but not that great of a hunter. Had a couple of people tell me much that same about Shockey as T Inman said. Generally speaking the TV hunting crowd comes across as a bunch of clowns, IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Generally speaking, TV hunters are as authentic as televangelist.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 805

Best show out there.
I love Randy Newberg and Jim Shockey as a runner ups.

Ryan Hatfield and Nate Simmons are my guys.
Ryan did me a solid by featuring my trophy room in a 3 page spread in Western Hunter magazine.

Proud NRA Life Member
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by 805

Best show out there.

Ryan did me a solid by featuring my trophy room in a 3 page spread in Western Hunter magazine.

Nate is an awesome guy and a great hunter.
Was sad to hear Ryan is moving on but he is a great guy also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Looks like BrokeBack Hunting Shack

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Shocky is the real deal.

Never heard of the rest of those guys but I have heard from a couple different Yukon guides that Shockey is anything but the real deal.

Never met the man myself, let alone hunted with him, but that's what I have heard from the north country.

Never heard anything bad about Shockey before.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Y'all need to catch Wild Boar Fever on the Outdoor channel. Those Europeans put on a good show.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 805
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by 805

Best show out there.

Nate is an awesome guy and a great hunter.
Was sad to hear Ryan is moving on but he is a great guy also.

Nate Simmons is so good.
He is what western hunting is all about.
Tough, smart and good.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
About 5 years ago, Verizon got rid of all of the hunting channels. So haven't see any since then. Sometimes when I'm sitting home and it's schitty outside and there's nothing on TV, I kinda wish they were on. The History Channel get a little old.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
They are a business just like any other business. Don’t like it, don’t buy it. I mute it.

They helped turn hunting into a rich mans sport IMO.

I noticed deer stands a few years ago when we traveled back to ND on vacation, I chuckled. I said they must watch the Outdoors Channel.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by viking
They are a business just like any other business. Don’t like it, don’t buy it. I mute it.

I noticed deer stands a few years ago when we traveled back to ND on vacation, I chuckled. I said they must watch the Outdoors Channel.

One influence for sure that I've noted is that tyros now go afield with all kinds of gadgets and gizmos hanging from their guns, and rest those guns on some elaborate bipod/tripod type rests. Its always a dead give away to me...the more schitt somebody has attached to their rifle, the less experience they have...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

One influence for sure that I've noted is that tyros now go afield with all kinds of gadgets and gizmos hanging from their guns, and rest those guns on some elaborate bipod/tripod type rests. Its always a dead give away to me...the more schitt somebody has attached to their rifle, the less experience they have...

You ain't seeing that Shiiittt with the Western Hunter guys.
However, nothing made me a more deadly hunter than a bipod.
Can't hate that...

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What kind of gadgets and gizmos are your referring to (besides bipods)? For the most part I'll agree with you, though there's always exceptions. One of the better hunters I know is absolutely NOT a gun nut and has one of those LimbSaver Barrel Dampener thingys, and a somewhat cheap scope that is mounted crooked on his only rifle.

I do enjoy seeing some of the ridiculous picatinny accessories I see on some people's ARs though.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
There was a show on last weekend, maybe shooting gallery. They were shooting pigs with a Ruger 10 mm revolver.

Anyway I have been to that over run with hogs ranch. It’s a high fenced, stocked with trapped hogs operation, that fleeces you for everything, even cooler space.

Look past the cameras....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You guys don't run a bayonet and tactical light on your rifles for late night packouts?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GregW
You guys don't run a bayonet and tactical light on your rifles for late night packouts?

grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

No.. "When in doubt, back out.."

I learned that on these TV shows...

Come back in the morning to finish tracking, and the coyotes have left almost nothing.

Less to have to pack out!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sounds like Health class.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Come back in the morning to finish tracking, and the coyotes have left almost nothing.

Yeah but those coyotes don't eat the antlers !!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Take away their scopes, and tree stand on a private fenced in food plot, and they would starve to death.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
They do an excellent job of editing out the enclosure fencing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

And here I thought I was the only one doing that. Wait a minute, when you say "packout," you mean beer, right?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Yeah but those coyotes don't eat the antlers !!

And THATS the important part!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kingston

yeah, pull, back, whichever...

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by kingston

yeah, pull, back, whichever...

Right, the famously ineffective principle form of Catholic birth control.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The old pull and pray.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Perfect world we live in today.... As I'm Tim McGraw song says, " you ain't gotta dig too deep to get a little dirt on me"....

That being said, Jason matzinger laying with his bow is sickening!!! 😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y'all need to catch Wild Boar Fever on the Outdoor channel. Those Europeans put on a good show.

That German prince can shoot running boars, no doubt about it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Watched em (Aimpoint Wilde Boar Fever) on YT.
Pretty good.

For other Youtube........

Leatherwood Outdoors

and

The Hunting Public

Last edited by hookeye; 07/16/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leatherwood outdoors on YouTube is one of my favorites.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JRaw
On an evening hunt, "He ran so we're gonna back off and come back in the morning" is just code for "We're gonna let the animal sit overnight so we have better camera light in the morning."

I take it as meaning "oh oh, I made a bad shot, and hit the gut, so it's going to take that deer a while to die." I have seen that happen a number of times on those shows, and it was very obvious that it was "operator error"........something that happens, but also something that is usually caused by either rushing the shot, or by taking a shot for the sake of the camera.

Anyone who has hunted for any length of time is going to have things like that happen, however, it happens much more frequently on these hunting shows than it does in a non hunting show situation. Most of it is preventable.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
All these reality shows are fake, they are scripted and the made to fit into the script. I just saw that on my computer. look it up if you don't believe me...fake fake fake....

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I’ve noticed a few “interesting” things while watching Outdoor Channel, Pursuit Channel, Sportsmans Channel, etc.

Of course, we should start with “a bit far back,” “smoked him,” “I tell you what,” "That's what I'm talking about," and “harvest.”

Hunter drops an elk with a spine shot, and the guide says, “Great shot!” Didn’t the hunter accidentally hit it a foot high?

Whispering the range to the shooter with unnecessary precision: “He’s 213.6 yards away.”

Lowering the rifle from the shoulder between shots. (One TV hunter lowered the butt of his shotgun almost to his KNEES before he racked the slide for a follow-up shot.)
Not knowing the difference between horns and antlers.

FIVE people (shooter, guide, main cameraman, host, and second cameraman) “sneaking” in on an animal and then wondering why it spooked.

Hunters stuffing an ENTIRE elk leg (bones and hide all the way to the hoof!) into their packs and hiking five miles back to camp instead of taking a few minutes to skin/debone and greatly reduce the humpage factor.

“Bolt actions recoil less than semi-autos because they have fewer moving parts.”

“You can get an AR-15 in .308 Winchester.”

Says “It’s 180 yards, but I have complete confidence in my XYZ muzzleloader,” goes prone, and manages a complete miss. (And his target wasn’t a ground squirrel; it was a freakin’ brown bear!)

Superfluity: “We need to sneak in undetected without being seen.”

On one of those long-range hunting shows they shoot 780 yards at a nice Sitka buck, and you can clearly see the vapor trail. When the bullet is halfway to the buck, he starts to move forward. By the time the slug arrives, the buck has moved 4-6”. Fortunately, it’s still a fatal hit, and the buck drops after stumbling 70-80 yards. Hunter says they are “all out of gas, so we’ll pick it up in the morning.” When they arrive on scene next morning, Mr. Buck’s belly seemed bloated, so I hope they were able to salvage the meat.

Hunter and guide see a bear on a far-away hillside. Although they had plenty of cover to approach to within 200 yards, they elect to shoot from 828 yards with their super-duper long distance rifle. “Hunter” shoots TWO FEET over the bear’s back.

Dreadful grammar:
“I’ve did it before.”
“A doe had came out of the woods.”
“We seen the elk…”
“I had just went to my stand…”
“We done hiked twelve miles…”
“I come up the hill…”
“We was just getting into position…”
“Him and I drove to the farm…”
“Where you at?”
“Me and him were really looking forward to this hunt.”
“He’d only ran 50 yards before expiring.”
“I’ve drew too soon on incoming bucks many times.”
“We’d saw some coyotes in the field.”
“They might’ve saw us.”
“I could’ve tooken that buck, but he was bit too small.”

Ludicrous misuse of the word “literally”:
“My stomach was literally tied in a knot.”
“The buck came to us literally on a string.”
“My heart literally jumped out of my chest.”
“The buck literally walked on top of us.”
“The deer literally turned itself inside out as it escaped.”
“My head literally exploded when I muffed the shot.”
“The bull literally vanished into thin air.”
“We were literally sitting ducks.”
“Missing that deer literally turned my world upside down.”
“We were literally actually right on top of him.”
“The deer were literally hammering the soybeans.”
“Chasing that deer was literally a roller coaster ride.”

All that said, I like shows by Shockey, Rinella, and a few others.

Last edited by Wyodogger; 07/17/19.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Leatherwood outdoors on YouTube is one of my favorites.

The first of their stuff I ever saw was the one I posted smile

Liked the one w grampa, dad and daughter...........cleaning a doe.

Their stuff isn't perfect, but thats part of why I like it. They are who they are and are having fun outdoors.

Same as the guys in the Hunting Public.
Overuse the word "dude" LOL............but that's who they are and they are having fun and being themselves.

Good camera work, lots of effort............and it comes across as enjoyable/entertaining.

DVDs................I have bought several of the Whitetail Adrenaline ones.
Met a couple of them at a Deer Expo.

Super nice guys.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm sure if somebody put a camera on our hunts people would bash em for being different from what they do.
Takes some guts IMHO to put your stuff on Youtube.
Lots of A holes there, many of them supposed hunters too.

Might try to document this yrs deer season.

I kinda like the Path Films NZ approach.

Embarrassed to say I forgot them in my initial post.
Their stuff is top notch.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/17/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hunter porn. Never understood the appeal.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That could be the gayest picture i’ve ever seen.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
Originally Posted by AKduck

Me too!

Me three! I don't watch too many but like these. The whispering on some of the others drives me nuts when I happen on them channel surfing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jason matzinger laying with his bow is sickening!!! 😂😂

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Queer guy as a deer guy...Laffin 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Anyone who has hunted for any length of time is going to have things like that happen, however, it happens much more frequently on these hunting shows than it does in a non hunting show situation. Most of it is preventable.

Got a close friend in the industry that is a cameraman for one of the “long range” TV shows. The misses are numerous, as I suspected, but the number that are wounded will cause you to weep. Don’t tell that to the guys that post on the Long Range Hunting thread....they’ll call you all sorts of names.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting for money, whether long range or short, causes some people to do stupid things that they may not do otherwise...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like a pack in hunt cuzz I will never do one in my life time .but when they have to show all the crap that they [ use] on the trip it just makes me turn it off

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jason matzinger laying with his bow is sickening!!! 😂😂

[Linked Image]

Somebody, gonna crop Clark's mug onto this or do I have to?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 270cowboy, 64 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.