Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
OK, gotta know...how do you oven cook bacon? We cook ours like fried chicken-in a couple of inches of oil (sometimes olive oil-gets expensive)

I too am an " UNcle Hersels Favorite" fan, but the closest cracker barrel to lubbock is Amarillo...

When there is time in the mornings, breakfast around here includes venison steak, hashbrown potato, eggs over easy slow cooked in butter, and a side of pinto beans cooked all night in the crock pot...sometimes we do the thick sliced bacon along with biscuits topped with butter and honey...and on occasion will do chocolate chip pancakes for the wife and girls. Is good stuff!!!

Dave

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The "Logger's" special at a local resturanty is hard to beat.

3 eggs over easy
2 slices of bacon
2 sausauge links
slice of ham
hashbrowns not to crisp (Usually the Wife gives me her hashrowns too)
whole wheat English muffin
glass of orange juice
coffee

Chop up and mix the eggs and hashrowns together and enjoy the feast. After that meal I am good to go until about five o'clock in the afternoon. smile

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ADK... your breakfast sounds great to me! Just a couple of substitutions: a big glass of ice-cold orange juice instead of coffee, and jam of some sort on the pancakes instead of syrup.

I'll also take more than 2 slices of bacon grin , and maybe a steaming bowl of Ken's grits (with lots of butter).

UM-MMMMM! [Linked Image]

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
hashbrowns--extra crispy

Yup. Breakfast has to have hashbrowns - and lots of them. And made from fresh potatoes - not prepackaged, frozen ones. Anyone notice it's getting harder and harder to find a place that makes 'em correctly?

Oh, +3 eggs over easy, 4 slices of bacon, whole wheat toast, and a bottomless cup 'o joe and I'm a happy 24 hour camper.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My rather late perfect breakfast this morning is a big bowl of rice dressing and a Newcastle Brown Ale, both leftovers from yesterday. laugh

mathman

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fresh pork sausage mixed with hash browns and Velveeta with a fresh sweet onion chopped in. Two over-easy eggs to top it with some grated extra sharp cheese on top of them. A couple of pieces of toast with real butter and strawberry jam. Maybe a side o' grits. Gotta have some ketchup to go with this too. Tall glass of orange juice to warsh it down with.

My own Grandpa lived to be 96 on eggs nearly every mornin'. He drank no coffee though. I don't have a clue whether that's got anythin' to do with it. I don't like coffee myself, so it's no loss to me. Grandpa ate eggs and bacon and biscuit with butter. He would not refuse leftover (or fresh) fried chicken in the mornings either. Pan-fried in Crisco or Hog Lard. hehehehhe

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Almost everyone I know that likes Hash Browns like them crispy. Why is it so hard to get them that way at a restaurant?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pretty much everything already mentioned works for me just as long as there's plenty of it. It doesn't have to be only for breakfast either as I love all the traditional American breakfast foods served anytime night or day. I will add that when given the choice, in lieu of pancakes or waffles, I prefer homemade pear preserves w/real butter spread thick inside warm biscuits.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Love fried venison heart, eggs, grits, fried potatos, and biscuits.....

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I can make a pretty good hashbrown - not as good as the guy I learned from - but close.

Peel and grate enough Russet potatoes and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Now here's the trick - take the grated potatoes and place a mound of them on a cotton dish-towel. Gather the corners of the towel together and begin twisting to squeeze out as much of the water from the spuds. I think that what happens if you don't remove the moisture, the potatoes "boil" and become soggy. If they're dry, they fry. Lay down enough butter in a hot skillet or griddle to form a nice pool (the guy I learned from used clarified butter - helps keep the butter from browning and/or burning). Sprinkle in the potatoes to form an even layer. Cook on one side till golden brown. Use a spatula to press the potatoes to flatten. Flip and cook till golden brown. Salt and pepper to taste. Eat. It takes some practice but it's worth it once you get the hang of it.

You can thank me later. smile

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
IC B3

Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are the pancakes Ready??????????? shocked whistle

Pancakes..any kind
Coffee..just sugar
couple slices bacon
and a glass of OJ

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Dave
OK, gotta know...how do you oven cook bacon? We cook ours like fried chicken-in a couple of inches of oil (sometimes olive oil-gets expensive)

most restaurants that actually cook bacon (as opposed to just reheating precooked stuff in the microwave) cook it in the oven at 350f.
I put the slices on an icing rack, and just oven cook them. Takes a few min longer than frying, but they are less greasy, crisper, and taste better.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On further thought �

No breakfast is perfect

without

the right person on the other side of the table.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aye, Ken, my daughter and I had breakfast this morning, great have Biscuits and Gravy with Scrambled eggs with her, she helped make 'em. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for me its a breakfast burrito(scrambled eggs, nacho chease, ham......not big on onions or peppers but some grilled sweet onion is ok) followed by biscuits and sausage gravy but the sausage needs to be my deer breakfast sausage. regular pork breakfast sausage for some reason plays hell with my stomach which ive always found odd cause its one of the few things that does, other than that i can generally eat anything without pissing of my guts........

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Momma can't eat pork in any way shape or form, makes her sicker than a dog. Oh well her loss. grin Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i eat bacon, ham, love pork chops in golden mushroom gravy........eat polish sausage and the like.......its just breakfast sausage. i make my deer breakfast sausage with deer and bacon ends & pieces ground together with a seasoning mix i buy from the store and im fine..........go figure grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
I can make a pretty good hashbrown - not as good as the guy I learned from - but close.

Peel and grate enough Russet potatoes and rinse thoroughly in cold water. Now here's the trick - take the grated potatoes and place a mound of them on a cotton dish-towel. Gather the corners of the towel together and begin twisting to squeeze out as much of the water from the spuds. I think that what happens if you don't remove the moisture, the potatoes "boil" and become soggy. If they're dry, they fry. Lay down enough butter in a hot skillet or griddle to form a nice pool (the guy I learned from used clarified butter - helps keep the butter from browning and/or burning). Sprinkle in the potatoes to form an even layer. Cook on one side till golden brown. Use a spatula to press the potatoes to flatten. Flip and cook till golden brown. Salt and pepper to taste. Eat. It takes some practice but it's worth it once you get the hang of it.

You can thank me later. smile

If you boil or bake the potatoes the night before they are just the right "dryness" to just grate and fry. That may be the trick your mentor left out.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just seeing this title an hour or so ago prompted me to go fix a breakfast of venison steak and eggs over easy, plus some sliced in chunks of venison farmer sausage and pan toast. It went down pretty good. It could have used some morel mushrooms but I havn't been home enough this past week to look for any. Also couildn't find any spuds in the house so I need to go grocery shopping. Agreed that left over baked potatoes, sliced and pan fried with the steaks etc. are the best.

Make the coffee black with such a a meal, for me. For coffee break when I'm in the mood for a dessert snack, load it with cream and hazelnut.

Last edited by Okanagan; 04/22/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would you guys knock this off! I am trying to quit eating so much and this is not helping! Especially Ken talking about those biscuts with cane syrup and butter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rats, think I will have another cup of black coffe and try to think of something else! :-) TM

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,592
Posts18,532,443
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.