Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I used Acusport and Davidson’s a lot but only occasionally used Ellett Bros. Ellett bros were expensive compared to the others and seemed to be too big and corporate like for my taste. They had a catalog that weighed 80lbs and rarely had anything I wanted in stock but were happy to put it on my “wish list” and call me in a couple years when it came in.

I went to a trade show that Acusport hosted in Billings and spent a small fortune at that one. I got to meet the saleswoman I’d been dealing with for several years in person and we went out for drinks after the show. She wasn’t bad looking at all and was a couple years older than I was but boy was she forward. I had to decline her advances several times that night and finally excused myself altogether because I was getting very uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation. She had recently been married but didn’t seem concerned about keeping the vows I assume she took. About a year later she was traveling around to “visit her accounts” and stopped by my shop. She wanted to go out for drinks again after closing but I didn’t want to be in an uncomfortable position again so I made an excuse as to why I couldn’t go. It was a few months later that I was assigned a different salesman. I wasn’t interested in cheating on my wife despite the safety of the relative anonymity.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's called capitalism

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 700LH
It's called vulture capitalism
FIFY.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker
It's called vulture capitalism
FIFY.

Sure enough fixed.

I'm not always a fan of the dreaded "regulation", but sometimes it seems necessary.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounded to me like the company messed up themselves, someone bought that mess, and the new owners made a lot of money.
You guys union?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pardon my ignorance, but why can’t manufactures distribute their own stuff?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Is what is being done in these cases illegal or just playing the system to make money?

Did you read this article Sasha and Abby linked to above:

https://www.thestate.com/news/business/article231381818.html

If some of the allegations in the lawsuit prove to be true, (see Slick Willy video, does any lawyer "prove" anything?) and therefore to be illegal in the eyes of the court, then you'll have an answer to your question. If the charges are not substantiated, I guess one could say they were "playing the system".

Yes, it's called Capitalism. And perhaps in the eyes of some of us it's the ugliest aspect of it.

Union? Let's just say I have some pro-labor leanings at times. Other times labor makes mistakes (illegal actions?) every bit as reprehensible as some of the allegations outlined in the suit against the private equity company that appears to have ruined a major player in the firearms field.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore

Perhaps they can, I don't know.

But if allowed, maybe they don't for the same reasons Dole and Del Monte don't sell pineapples and green beans directly to the public?

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Perhaps they can, I don't know.

But if allowed, maybe they don't for the same reasons Dole and Del Monte don't sell pineapples and green beans directly to the public?

Geno

I reckon it only works for “boutique” type stuff.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
It's called capitalism

While I can not concisely articulate it, I know the difference between Capitalism and GREED when I see it. The situation with EB, if accurate, is pure unadulterated GREED. Having the PE firm bleed EB dry of cash, and then saddle them with an insurmountable load of debt, in my eyes, is no different than the politicians going to Washington DC and lining their pockets with cash while saddling the American citizens with an insurmountable load of debt. Both are legal. Both are wrong.

Last edited by Orion2000; 06/12/19.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too many letters,

Didn't want to quote your whole post, but 100%.

Bean counters are also who we have so much junk in the market place. They look at
products as units, not the actual item. They cut quality to save nickles and times
on each unit x annual production. Big money to them.

We buy a pair of jeans for $25. They saved 10 cents shortening the zipper, 10 more
using cheap rivets. 20 cents thinner fabric. 5 cents on thread. A quarter on cheap labor.
They saved 70 cents x 1 million pair=$700,000. They are proud

I wasted $25 on my jeans, the zipper won't go down far enough, and may break, either
the fabric tears at the seam, or the threads break. F'n junk. I gladly would have paid
$26 for something worthwhile.

If engineers ran the companies, products would be like the 1950's, much
more expensive, but quality that would last forever.

If the factory workers made the decisions, we would get a balanced product.
But hell floor workers are the dumbest people in the building.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some years ago, some of our graduate business schools, starting with Princeton, initiated a major entitled "financial engineering". Essentially meant taking control of a solid company, pulling out all the cash and replacing it with debt, often beyond reasonable levels
These "financial engineers" went even further by creating new forms of debt, such as derivitives, that obfuscated the risk/return relationship, and that damn near no one truly comprehends.
Been responsible for wicked loss of jobs, careers, and some companies that were real contributors to the American Dream.
The amount of money in play is well beyond what most of us can comprehend. One of the first to step over the line, Michael Milken, was fined over a billion dollars and given jail time. He wrote a check for the fine, and remained wealthy.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
The only firearms manufacturer that I'm aware of that does its own distribution is the Benelli group (Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi, Uberti). It's a pain having to deal with them since they don't have a website and you have to call them on the phone to order anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That happens. From the article:
A South Carolina gun and sporting goods distributor is filing for bankruptcy amid allegations of mishandled funds borrowed by its majority owner.

There have been lots of cases of companies going under because of misdeeds totally unrelated to the business. I used to work for one of the nation's 3 largest trucking companies. It was bought out by a large holding company and the new owner then skimmed millions to pay off the mob and stay alive. He went to prison but it put 7000 people out of work.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's called capitalism

most of the time the companies that are bought out...….aren't run into the ground by bad management ….they are run into the ground by good management...

that is the reason they are bought out....to run them down...…...700lh said it all.....bob

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by BobMt
It's called capitalism

most of the time the companies that are bought out...….aren't run into the ground by bad management ….they are run into the ground by good management...

that is the reason they are bought out....to run them down...…...700lh said it all.....bob

Exactly. It sounds counterintuitive to a layman, but it's not good for a company to have a lot of excess cash laying around.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Private equity firms are a tool designed to suck every last penny out of a dying corporation before it goes bankrupt.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Some years ago, some of our graduate business schools, starting with Princeton, initiated a major entitled "financial engineering". Essentially meant taking control of a solid company, pulling out all the cash and replacing it with debt, often beyond reasonable levels
These "financial engineers" went even further by creating new forms of debt, such as derivitives, that obfuscated the risk/return relationship, and that damn near no one truly comprehends.
Been responsible for wicked loss of jobs, careers, and some companies that were real contributors to the American Dream.
The amount of money in play is well beyond what most of us can comprehend. One of the first to step over the line, Michael Milken, was fined over a billion dollars and given jail time. He wrote a check for the fine, and remained wealthy.

^^^^^ Excel Spreadsheet management^^^^^^^^^^^^^ over leveraged companies.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Private equity firms are a tool designed to suck every last penny out of a dying corporation before it goes bankrupt.

a company doesn't even have to be dying......if it can be bought.....taken over......for the right price, its ready to be raped......bob

Last edited by BobMt; 06/12/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I used Acusport and Davidson’s a lot but only occasionally used Ellett Bros. Ellett bros were expensive compared to the others and seemed to be too big and corporate like for my taste. They had a catalog that weighed 80lbs and rarely had anything I wanted in stock but were happy to put it on my “wish list” and call me in a couple years when it came in.

I went to a trade show that Acusport hosted in Billings and spent a small fortune at that one. I got to meet the saleswoman I’d been dealing with for several years in person and we went out for drinks after the show. She wasn’t bad looking at all and was a couple years older than I was but boy was she forward. I had to decline her advances several times that night and finally excused myself altogether because I was getting very uncomfortable with the direction of the conversation. She had recently been married but didn’t seem concerned about keeping the vows I assume she took. About a year later she was traveling around to “visit her accounts” and stopped by my shop. She wanted to go out for drinks again after closing but I didn’t want to be in an uncomfortable position again so I made an excuse as to why I couldn’t go. It was a few months later that I was assigned a different salesman. I wasn’t interested in cheating on my wife despite the safety of the relative anonymity.

TMI

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,776
Posts18,495,819
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.