Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll probably keep what I got to give to the boy and grandson eventually, now I’m just gonna collect “species”...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I am working on the same. After moving, my reloading stuff remains in boxes. I figure a Fieldcraft in 30-06 and one in 6 creedmoor could do everything I will want to do with rifles. Now I just have to get rid of the rest of them.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a buddy (who’s currently serving 14 months in work release) tell me the other day..... “in jail it’s not Gay Sex.... it’s just Sex”.... I laughed my ass off. But, it seems pretty appropriate for the .270 Win.

Jordan.... you are somewhat correct... for a long time, I was more of a shooter than a hunter. I enjoyed it a lot, I wanted to be able to hit schitt way out there. I got to that point... and I shot thousands and thousands of rounds over a 10 year period. In the last couple years.... I’ve probably only shot 300 +/- rounds total (of CF ammo).

My “shooting” stage has payed tremendous dividends in the field.... and has allows me to help countless other folks extend their ability to hit stuff too.... including my kids and wife and brothers. It brought me tremendous joy to watch kids, and old ladies, and non-believers pound on steel WAY beyond normal ranges.

I’m enjoyed my time as a “shooter”.... but I’ve really enjoyed the “hunting” side of things. I know the two aren’t mutually exclusive.... but sacrificing one, allows for gains in the other... at least going forward.

I’m pretty convinced that a yard sale is forthcoming.... I’ve just learned through experience... to let decisions such as this simmer for a while.... before pulling the trigger (pun intended).

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm a hunting loony too, like many here. Whatever season is open, I'm all in.

Dog, I"m not sure how old you are, but I am 58 and about 10 years ago now I went through much the same thing you are considering. I wound up selling several L61R's in various cartridges, a handful of Steyr MII's, and a few others. It left me with Tikkas in 7mag, 30-06, 7mm08, an old 30-30, and added a couple of 6.5CM's (tikkas) that are stupid good. This covers everything I do....Africa, open country deer, creek bottom hogs, etc. I like where I am with it all. You'll still be kickin' ass with whatever you have in your hands, much like GregW, Jud, and Jordan.

My T3X likes those ELDX's too, alot.

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm in the process of thinning my herd, but don't intend to go down to just one rifle. I think there's something to be said for having a spare or two ready to go, and I enjoy different platforms. Don't ever want to be without both a lever action and a bolt gun too.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
This post may carry a heavy stench of mid-life crisis..... and to some degree that may be valid..... but.....

Over the past week, I've had about a dozen calls and texts asking questions like: What rifle/caliber should I get for my son..... or for my wife.... or to hunt deer with.... etc.

My answer has been the same in every instance..... Tikka 6.5 Creed and a case of Hornady 143 ELD-X ammo.

I got to thinking..... why don't I take my own advice? I mean.... we used to have to spend hours, and hundred or even thousands of dollars to get the kind of performance I can buy on the shelf at Sportsman's now for $600 and $25/box ammo.

I used to love to sit in my basement and reload rifle rounds.... for a dozen or better cartridges.... for my family.... for my buddies. But at some point, it turned into a downright chore. Recent changes in life have caused an uprooting, and now all my reloading stuff (two large totes worth) has been sitting idle for the past 6 months.... and frankly, I haven't missed it.

I've been shooting Hornady factory 108s out of the 6 Creed.... and they're freaking amazing... I don't know if I could do better if I spent hours at the reloading bench. Even if I could.... I wouldn't be saving any money... and I'd be "wasting" a lot of time.

So..... I'm thinking of doing something I would have never believed I'd even consider. Getting rid of it all... The KS 7 Mag.... the Benchmark barreled Tikka 6 Creed... the .300 Blackout.... the 25lbs of powder.... the couple thousand projectiles... the presses.... the dies.... ALL OF IT.

Seems like I could parlay those resources into a hunt or two with my boys.... some new 15x glasses.... or some other gear that would make my actual hunting more enjoyable.

Hell..... I'm even considering doing something Uber crazy.... and going back to my .270 Win roots..... that's right.... I said it.... a Two-F'n-Sebenty....

I may not go that far.... but for my hunting needs (out to 500ish).... it would cover all my bases.

What say the masses...... am I totally out of my gourd? Except for the .270 thing.... I know that's Bat Schitt (but practical).

Taint crazy at all.
Welcome to stage 4 - there are a few of us on the platform with ya. Now for stage 5. smile

1) Perceived need stage
2) Acquire stage
3) Utilization stage
4) Awakening stage
5) Edit stage

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
I had a buddy (who’s currently serving 14 months in work release) tell me the other day..... “in jail it’s not Gay Sex.... it’s just Sex”.... I laughed my ass off. But, it seems pretty appropriate for the .270 Win.

Jordan.... you are somewhat correct... for a long time, I was more of a shooter than a hunter. I enjoyed it a lot, I wanted to be able to hit schitt way out there. I got to that point... and I shot thousands and thousands of rounds over a 10 year period. In the last couple years.... I’ve probably only shot 300 +/- rounds total (of CF ammo).

My “shooting” stage has payed tremendous dividends in the field.... and has allows me to help countless other folks extend their ability to hit stuff too.... including my kids and wife and brothers. It brought me tremendous joy to watch kids, and old ladies, and non-believers pound on steel WAY beyond normal ranges.

I’m enjoyed my time as a “shooter”.... but I’ve really enjoyed the “hunting” side of things. I know the two aren’t mutually exclusive.... but sacrificing one, allows for gains in the other... at least going forward.

I’m pretty convinced that a yard sale is forthcoming.... I’ve just learned through experience... to let decisions such as this simmer for a while.... before pulling the trigger (pun intended).

Shooting a few PRS-style matches every year will prolong your "shooter loony-ism" for quite some time smile It's a blast- addictive even.

But I understand being a hunting loony, as well. I consider myself to be about 50:50, and go through phases where one side tugs harder than the other, just like a lot of guys here.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Doesn’t sound crazy to me. Sounds efficient. And simple. Myself, I think i’d Have to have at least 2 if not three left though. In calibers I did t need to reload for and still get excellent performance. My choices might not be the same as yours, but I can definitely see the logic and ‘bigger picture’ that you’re eyeballing. Good luck to you sir.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Couldn’t be less than 2 because i’d have to have a lever as well as well as a bolt. Just me though. Realistically, 1 lever and 2 bolts. Minimum.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
No Sir I don’t believe it’s crazy. I’ve been thinking along those lines for a few years now. I’d much rather hunt more than collect rifles that I don’t need. I have friends who only have one or two rifles and have killed as much or more than I have.

I’ll keep about a half dozen or so, but that would be about five more than I really need.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Don’t get me wrong.... this ain’t a one rifle kinda deal.... no man should put himself through that... laffin.

I’m keeping a .22lr, the 1-7” twist 16” AR, the Mossberg 500 12ga, and going with a hunting rifle of yet to be determined make and caliber.

I like the PRS/SRM stuff... and have shot a couple of each.... but it just ain’t my cup of tea anymore. I really enjoy the KYL .22lr stuff though.... and long range rimfire play.... so that’s where I’ll get my “shooting” fix.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am in the editing stage for sure. I used to have a long list of handguns that I thought would be awesome to own. Owned a lot of them eventually but lost interest. I am down to a small semi-auto for daily carry, a ruger single six, and a three screw Blackhawk .357. I don't miss the others.

I used to like variety in my shotguns and have owned some good ones. I loved shooting 28s. I am down to an o/u 20 gauge for upland birds on nice days and a 12 gauge pump for everything else. I don't miss the others.

I am still pretty slutty in the rifle department as I am probably about 60-70% hunter and 30-40% rifle shooter. Lately I have been gravitating towards accurate factory rifles with enough character that they hold little retail value. One of the best shooters I own is a rough old 700 varmint in .223 that is missing a bunch of finish and has had the barrel setback at least once by the previous owner. That rifles shoots several types of factory ammo around 1/2 moa without any fuss at all. It rides in my truck all fall/winter and I don't feel bad when I abuse it. I handload for lots of rifles but can't justify it for the .223 when the cheap stuff shoots great and kills stuff just fine.

I have a stainless Mark II Ruger .270 that was bedded in a laminate stock. With the first handload I tried (130 NBT over H4831) It shot at least as well as my blueprinted 700s with high end barrels, expensive stocks, and good triggers. Makes you scratch your head sometimes. For a lot less money I could buy 5-10 used factory rifles, shoot them, keep the winners and ditch the losers.

If I ever got serious about downsizing my rifle collection it would be Ruger 77/22 skeleton, Ruger 77/17 Laminate for ground squirrels, Rem 700 Heavy .223 for P Dogs/Coyotes, Ruger 77 Skeleton .300 Win for big game. I could probably ditch one of the rimfires and still have North America covered just fine.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Dogshooter--I think you realized something about yourself that I read about a few years ago. The article said that there are two types of people--"thing" people and "experience" people. Thing people have to always be buying stuff, even if they don't really have a need for it. They get happy by buying. Experience people just have enough equipment to use for their pursuits. They'd rather travel or hunt than keep buying stuff that costs so much that they can't afford to hunt or travel.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got my fix young I guess, Ol man had me had me at the reloading bench at 12, rem 700’s, leupold scopes and lots of Hornady bullets, weekends were spent hittin the hills and shooting rocks and sticks, pre turrets and lrf’s... so I’ve got my fill of “shooting “ too. Anymore it’s about quality of hunts, not quantity, and I’d just soon go fishin, campin, or traveling with the ol lady. Most folks interests change as they get older, if that’s what your feelin brother, do it, time with your kids doing cool shiit ain’t gonna suck

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I enjoy hunting but I can only eat so much a year, and it's too fugg'n expensive to give the goods to family.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About half my rifles are family hand-me-downs and I will not get rid of those, plus I enjoy their history and remembering where they came from. The other half of my rifles sees some churn, trying out new stuff, selling older stuff, which I can do because I've got the other rifles I know I'll never trade off. I could easily make do with the gifted guns and a couple of good SS sporters and be done with it, but I enjoy having a project or two in the works all the time. I will say that my interests have pulled away from the fringe stuff and niche wares in the last decade. I like guns I'll use.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been through so many rifles in so many calibers that I honestly couldn’t even count them all. I have simplified my tools to 3 primaries, 8 twist 223, 6.5 crymore, and a 30-06 all Tikka T3’s. I’m 50-50 on reloading versus factory on them, but I’m done with everything else. With those 3 rifles I need nothing else and am not handicapped in anyway. Ammo and components are cheap and readily available for all 3.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Not crazy at all.

Been purging gear/guns myself to simplify life.

Kind of stupid what a guy accumulates over the years.

I've bought some stuff over the years I wouldn't buy again on a bet. Guns aren't one of them. Well, one was, but I sold it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
About half my rifles are family hand-me-downs and I will not get rid of those, plus I enjoy their history and remembering where they came from. The other half of my rifles sees some churn, trying out new stuff, selling older stuff, which I can do because I've got the other rifles I know I'll never trade off. I could easily make do with the gifted guns and a couple of good SS sporters and be done with it, but I enjoy having a project or two in the works all the time. I will say that my interests have pulled away from the fringe stuff and niche wares in the last decade. I like guns I'll use.

Like you, I have a number of hand-me-downs. With three daughters that like to shoot and five grandkids, many of the rest will be.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I am down to a 6.5x55 mauser build and a 257 Roberts and a 243 and a 222 in the centerfire department. May trim more but I don't even know what at this point.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,809
Posts18,516,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.