Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Discuss.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glock as a word should be used the same way as "GOOGLE" , a name , verb , noun and adjective

so next time somebody is messing with you , Glock him.

Last edited by persiandog; 06/13/19.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you were buying a Glock 19 today, would it be a Gen. 4 or Gen. 5? Why?

RS

Last edited by RipSnort; 06/13/19.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
They are the most popular law enforcement pistol in the US for a reason i.e, they work (most of the time), have a simple manual of arms and are robust in construction.

That said, over the years, I've had to send a total of six pistols back to Glock with various defects. Two were replaced, two were repaired and two were "upgraded".

Customer service is excellent with a short turn around time.

Keep your Glock stock, feed it quality ammunition and only use unmodified factory Glock magazines and it will serve you well.

My favorite is the Gen 3 19. Second choice is the Gen 4 19. Have tried a Gen 5 19 and don't care to own one.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Glock, 5 attempts at perfection.

Nothing wrong with em they just no longer stand out in the crowd of polymer Stryker fired pistols.

But what do I know, I'm smitten with the 1911 bug again.

IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Glock USED to be the best alternative to a revolver, 1911, BHP and all generations of S&W pistols. But that was long ago.
Now Glock is just a name that noobs associate with quality - kinda like Colt. Experienced shooters are less likely to shell out $600 for a pistol they can buy from S&W for $350 (and S&W's warranty is much better than Glock's).

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Traded most of mine.. Will dump the rest soon..

Molon Labe
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by dla
Glock USED to be the best alternative to a revolver, 1911, BHP and all generations of S&W pistols. But that was long ago.
Now Glock is just a name that noobs associate with quality - kinda like Colt. Experienced shooters are less likely to shell out $600 for a pistol they can buy from S&W for $350 (and S&W's warranty is much better than Glock's).

Who spends $600 on a Glock? Who cares about Glock's warranty as it's almost never needed. We've had Glocks in our rental program for several years (same gun) and only had 2 failures---one slide crack and one left rear guide rail broke, both on 17's with tens of thousands of rounds through them.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by dla

Who spends $600 on a Glock? Who cares about Glock's warranty as it's almost never needed. We've had Glocks in our rental program for several years (same gun) and only had 2 failures---one slide crack and one left rear guide rail broke, both on 17's with tens of thousands of rounds through them.

Who cares what you think? Obviously you haven't wandered into a sporting goods place and checked prices. Noobs don't buy their 1st handgun online - because the process is daunting.
And who cares what your supposed reliability experiences mean since you don't compare them to anything? The fact is that S&W makes a customer feel better. And if you do need service, (which noobs do sometimes), S&W is very nice to them.

The fact is that Glock is living off of it's name and mindless fanboys.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Work.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

Who cares what you think? Obviously you haven't wandered into a sporting goods place and checked prices. Noobs don't buy their 1st handgun online - because the process is daunting.
And who cares what your supposed reliability experiences mean since you don't compare them to anything? The fact is that S&W makes a customer feel better. And if you do need service, (which noobs do sometimes), S&W is very nice to them.

As opposed to Keltec?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't like them because the bore axis is too low.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
They are the most popular law enforcement pistol in the US for a reason

Cost. Low bid wins the contract

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have 5 of the horrid things, had a keltec once, it melted in my car in Biloxi MS one August day while I was inside gambling.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by dla

As opposed to Keltec?

KelTec doesn't try to charge you $600 for a $300 pistol.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
it would be a 19X

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think a 45 MOS,would connect alotta Utility dots.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
- people call them "blocks", because they have the ergonomics of a 2x4
- uber reliable typically with not great triggers even aftermarket
- they fit the tactiCOOL bill
- I like the G42 and G43 for carry

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1995 called and wants its pistol back.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
The Real Hawkeye: "Glock" - one of the finest, most reliable, urban, all-weather, all conditions battle weapons ever devised!
Outfit your "Glock" with night sights, high capacity magazines, top quality hollow-point ammunitions, practice and fear no situation or person.
Best value for the dollar on the semi-auto market - PERIOD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by dla

Still talking out of your azz, I see. Maybe you should make an appointment with a proctologist. Did you miss my point about "our rental program"? I don't need to go to a sporting goods store. I work in in gun shop that sells 4000+ guns a year. How does S&W "make a customer feel better"? Do they give them a knob polish like you do?

Last edited by UPhiker; 06/13/19.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree with the "block" comment. They've never "felt right" to me. To be fair, I don't think I've ever handled a single stack.

They are full of sheet metal "toaster parts." (Comment stolen from Tamara Keel, who I believe attributes the original comment to her friend "Gunsmith Bob.") That said, a lot of guns nowadays are full of toaster parts.

They don't call it "Glock leg" for nuthin'. But the issue is really with any striker fired pistol lacking a thumb safety.
My rule: If the gun you are messing with doesn't have a job for your thumb to do as you holster, you need to be especially careful. A "job for your thumb" includes pinning a hammer down or holding a thumb safety in the engaged position. With a Glock, a "Glock Gadget" gives your thumb a job to do. The Gadget allows your thumb to impede striker movement, similar to pinning the hammer on a hammer gun.

Glocks can be shot well, but IMO, they don't have a good "street trigger." That may not be your opinion. Free country and all that.

If you read up on the history, Glock has engaged in some shady business practices. Again, just my opinion.

I truly appreciate the innovation that I believe brought us guns I do like a lot better. They are a watershed design.

FWIW, I know one of the original designers. I got a hell of a deal on my one and only Glock.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla

Still talking out of your azz, I see. Maybe you should make an appointment with a proctologist. Did you miss my point about "our rental program"? I don't need to go to a sporting goods store. I work in in gun shop that sells 4000+ guns a year. How does S&W "make a customer feel better"? Do they give them a knob polish like you do?

Have ever used S&W's warranty service? Have you ever used Glock's?
I'm glad you pushed a broom around and kept the bathrooms tidy - important stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Glock has engaged I some shady business practices".

As a gun company, or the family?

This seems to have somewhat become Glock vs Smith & Wesson.

I wish I had half the money Smith has paid Glock over the years.
Liable, and patent infringement are shady, and expensive.
Smith first lied about Glock in ads, saying "plastic pistols" were dangerous.
Then, they copied the same designs. Badly!

I agree on Glock gertting fat and lazy. It's way too common.
A young hungry entrepreneurial engineer busts his else to meet a need.
Then too make his product successful.
The money rolls in, and his competitors imitate his innovation.
But now, Smith was hungry, and Glock was lazy.
Others improved the basic Glock, and sell it to consumers cheaper.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glock pioneered a revolutionary sea-change in semiauto service pistols. Polymer frame, striker fired, safe-trigger. Makes for a reliable, durable pistol.

Now pretty much every pistol maker has seen the success and gotten on board.

I like them myself. I was an early fan. Bought mine in Gen2 timeframe, around 1994. Have three Gen2, and one Gen4. I have no interest or inclination to retool to another brand.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The firearms community as a whole will forever be in debt to them as a company.

They may not have invented the wheel but they sure as fugk demonstrated how much sense it made.

The rest is history.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Myself I don't see where the 'lazy' comments are coming from.

Seems to me Glock has remained innovative with generational changes, longer slides, shorter slides, longer grips, shorter grips, slim grips, slim slides, single stackers, 380s, MOS versions, ports, etc, etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Glock pioneered a revolutionary sea-change in semiauto service pistols. Polymer frame, striker fired, safe-trigger. Makes for a reliable, durable pistol.

Now pretty much every pistol maker has seen the success and gotten on board.

I like them myself. I was an early fan. Bought mine in Gen2 timeframe, around 1994. Have three Gen2, and one Gen4. I have no interest or inclination to retool to another brand.

I wasn’t an early fan. Swore I’d never own a plastic POS.
Nowadays I own several in several calibers. Wouldn’t be without one. But then I still have several 1911’s too. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glock is without peer...in simply getting schit done,by the masses.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Gaston Glock did OK for a guy that mfg vacuum cleaners.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your folks tell the same story,at every Xmas.

Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Seems to me Glock has remained innovative with generational changes, longer slides, shorter slides, longer grips, shorter grips, slim grips, slim slides, single stackers, 380s, MOS versions, ports, etc, etc.

Easy.
The biggest legitimate complaints for years were grip size, angle, sights.
They really refused to do anything about that.

Perfection, you will buy what we want you to.

Other companies, designing new guns, jumped right on those issues.
Interchangeable panels for sides front, and rear.

Glock only responded when they saw market share dropping.
Sights? They still sell their gun at higher tier prices, and most will drop
A Benjamin on sights.
Others are underpricing them, with good sights.

You mention innovation.
The 17 was man on the moon innovation,
The 43, and the slimmer 19, people have been wanting that for years.
Glock responded, after their competition was selling a similar gun, for a couple years.

The 30s. Holy crap, that was easy to see and do.
Why didn't it shortly follow the 36.
Not immediately of course.
You want the me first guys to buy one, than the other.
But a year later, would have been smart.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I’m pretty sure it was not vacuum cleaners.

“Glock began as a manufacturer of curtain rods and knives for the Austrian military.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaston_Glock

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by David_Walter

I’m pretty sure it was not vacuum cleaners.

“Glock began as a manufacturer of curtain rods and knives for the Austrian military.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaston_Glock

Ok. Seems like I remembered reading that somewhere once upon a time. Could very easily be wrong though. I do remember the part about the military knifes though. I think his main brilliance was in the way he injection molded the plastic for the frame.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Easy.
The biggest legitimate complaints for years were grip size, angle, sights.
They really refused to do anything about that.

Perfection, you will buy what we want you to.

Other companies, designing new guns, jumped right on those issues.
Interchangeable panels for sides front, and rear.

Glock only responded when they saw market share dropping.
Sights? They still sell their gun at higher tier prices, and most will drop
A Benjamin on sights.
Others are underpricing them, with good sights.

You mention innovation.
The 17 was man on the moon innovation,
The 43, and the slimmer 19, people have been wanting that for years.
Glock responded, after their competition was selling a similar gun, for a couple years.

The 30s. Holy crap, that was easy to see and do.
Why didn't it shortly follow the 36.
Not immediately of course.
You want the me first guys to buy one, than the other.
But a year later, would have been smart.

Sounds to me like you just plain don't like a Glock, and nobody is going to change your mind. That's fine.

My observation is that they continue to provide what the market wants. Tritium is available, MOS is available, anything from a tiny 380 up to a huge 10mm, and all point in between.

All the rest of the makers are doing their best to capture some of the market share. They have to, or sink.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The competition and innovations between makers is a good thing. Keeps them all trying to do better.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
They aren't perfect despite the hype. My gen 3 glock 19 is the least reliable of all the Glock pistols I've owned (17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27). I like them because they generally work well and there's tons of support in part replacement both original and from vendors, plus there's a huge selection of carry options.

The big downside is they're highly overpriced new at current. Mine were aquired as dept trade ins and I've no intention of getting rid of them or divesting because what I own has to work and see me thru for the rest of my days. I'm at the point where I'm done buying and changing handguns and most gear like one would change out underware.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I own two Glocks. A model 21 and a model 19, both Gen 4's. They both have new trigger connectors and aftermarket sights, nothing more. Never had a failure with either one, and honestly it took me a long time to warm up to them. They just work, make great truck guns, not out a bunch if destroyed, etc...

In fact, the G19 is what I keep in my "Go Bag" all the time with 4 spare mags, knife, lighter, compass, flashlight and spare meds. All in a waterproof backpack of sorts...goes everywhere with me....even on the boat.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In today's market Glock is just another poly frame striker fired pistol. As has been said, they are over priced for that market and are riding on brand recognition. Glock? Yawn....

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been a Glock guy since I was a young patrol officer in 1987. We had to carry .38 special revolvers, but in the winter under a coat, I carried my Gen 1 Glock 17 as a backup in a shoulder holster. Always shot perfect scores with that pistol. I sold the Gen 1 in 1990 when we went to the S&W 4506 .45acp. Actually, the powers that be stopped us from carrying anything but S&W autos. When they relaxed the regs again, I went back to Glock. I now own a G43 and G19 in 9mm, a G27 and G22 in .40 S&W, a G20SF in 10mm, and a G30SF in .45acp. I've been retired from Law Enforcement for about a year. My two favorite EDC guns are the Glock 43, and an S&W 642 .38 special. When I was a plain clothes UC guy for the last 7 years of my career, I carried my Glock 27 with a Glock 23 mag in my pocket. Both loaded with Federal 180 grain HST. My church carry pistol is my Gen 5 Glock 19 loaded with 124 grain Underwood Gold Dots at 1300 fps. I'm around a bunch of Glock hating Springfield XD guys all the time. They bad mouth Glocks all the time. None of them can outshoot me!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Over priced? Like 1911’s or HK’s. Yeah they have crept up, but blue label Glocks are still a great deal.

Before Glock came around, what did we have to choose from? Mediocre (expensive) 1911’s, pot metal Smiths, llamas.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I didn't like Glocks at first and refused the issue of one until 2009, when I accepted a firearms training position with an agency that issued them. Figured if I was gonna be teaching Glocks, I had better know Glocks. They're an excellent duty pistol, not particularly well adapted to the human hand.

They are not perfection. They are simply a rung on the ladder of firearms design.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep, Glocks are lousy-- but, every new polymer pistol that comes out is compared to them-- hmmm--

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, those Glocks suck...... That's why everybody else started making their own versions of polymer pistols. Mine's a Gen 3 G19. The trigger could be better and I have more accurate handguns. But I still like it for its plain, utilitarian, different, ultra reliable, persona.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The gent who invented flames,don't sweat the "heat" of the followers.

Hint................

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I find it funny that so many people say that the Glock grip angle is "wrong". It's not wrong, just "different". I'm one of the people who prefers it. With the 1911, I point low and have to find the front sight and bring it up. With the Glock, it's slightly high but it's easier to bring the sight down into the notch if you can already see it. I never hear anyone complain that the angle on a Ruger Mark .22 or Luger is "wrong", only the Glock.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I find it funny that so many people say that the Glock grip angle is "wrong". It's not wrong, just "different". I'm one of the people who prefers it. With the 1911, I point low and have to find the front sight and bring it up. With the Glock, it's slightly high but it's easier to bring the sight down into the notch if you can already see it. I never hear anyone complain that the angle on a Ruger Mark .22 or Luger is "wrong", only the Glock.

Truth!

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
Work.

There you go. grin

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I think glocks are dam good pistols. Nothing against S&W revolvers . I had a S&W shield once, nice gun except the safety lever was floppy and you had to use a tool stored in the handle , or your pocket knife, or twigg off a tree to take it down. Safety was fixable but the take down lever (who was the jack wad that came up with that)? Are they still made that way?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
S&W don't make much of anything,that is TRULY rugged.

Hint....................

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

You like a flippy recoil impulse, huh? grin

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
"Glock has engaged I some shady business practices".

As a gun company, or the family?

This seems to have somewhat become Glock vs Smith & Wesson.

As I wrote, a matter of opinion. Read Paul M. Barrett's book and decide for yourself. Or perhaps you have read it. Again, just my opinion. That opinion has little to nothing to do with the technical aspects, but the OP was much like "Glock: What comes to mind?" Several things came to mind, so I wrote them.

I don't see it as only Glock vs. S&W. That leaves out Springfield, Ruger, SIG, FN, H&K, and a bunch of others.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
I think glocks are dam good pistols. Nothing against S&W revolvers . I had a S&W shield once, nice gun except the safety lever was floppy and you had to use a tool stored in the handle , or your pocket knife, or twigg off a tree to take it down. Safety was fixable but the take down lever (who was the jack wad that came up with that)? Are they still made that way?

You never really needed a tool to take down the Shield or any other M&P.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station

You never really needed a tool to take down the Shield or any other M&P.

Yeah, you can just pull the trigger.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Glock could take some lessons from Canik SF series and Walter ppq series

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A Glock is like a crescent wrench. A Snap-On Crescent wrench.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
S&W don't make much of anything,that is TRULY rugged.

Hint....................

Stick, from another thread:

Get her a 3"(because sights are adjustable) S&W 317 22LR and CT grip. Bombproof,Murphy Proof,8-shots and killer ergo's.

Hint..............

So I guess "Bombproof, Murphy Proof" is not as good as "TRULY rugged?"

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/14/19.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ldholton
Glock could take some lessons from Canik SF series and Walter ppq series

That PPQ trigger is the best factory polymer gun trigger I've felt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana Marine,

You got me wrong.
I like Glock. But I have a tendency to critically analyze everything.
I don't own a single gun that is without flaw.
Many that I really like, and that are good guns, including a G19 i have owned for
over 20 years.

My post is simply that Glock has slipped from the company that brought out
a product that people didn't know they needed/wanted, to following others leads.
The longslide and optics ready guns are market creating guns. But they really
drug their heels for 10 years or so. They see what's happened, and are throwing
new models at every market now.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I agree with the "block" comment. They've never "felt right" to me. To be fair, I don't think I've ever handled a single stack.

They are full of sheet metal "toaster parts." (Comment stolen from Tamara Keel, who I believe attributes the original comment to her friend "Gunsmith Bob.") That said, a lot of guns nowadays are full of toaster parts.

They don't call it "Glock leg" for nuthin'. But the issue is really with any striker fired pistol lacking a thumb safety.
My rule: If the gun you are messing with doesn't have a job for your thumb to do as you holster, you need to be especially careful. A "job for your thumb" includes pinning a hammer down or holding a thumb safety in the engaged position. With a Glock, a "Glock Gadget" gives your thumb a job to do. The Gadget allows your thumb to impede striker movement, similar to pinning the hammer on a hammer gun.

Glocks can be shot well, but IMO, they don't have a good "street trigger." That may not be your opinion. Free country and all that.

If you read up on the history, Glock has engaged in some shady business practices. Again, just my opinion.

I truly appreciate the innovation that I believe brought us guns I do like a lot better. They are a watershed design.

FWIW, I know one of the original designers. I got a hell of a deal on my one and only Glock.

Have you seen any statistics to support that there are more accidental discharges with a Glock than other pistols? I know of two accidental discharges with revolvers ( of course they don't have a thumb safety either), one resulting in a fatality and the other in a leg wound. Careless gun handling can get you regardless of gun design.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
I didn't create the term "Glock Leg", nor have I studied the statistics of accidental or negligent discharges.

I will not repeat (well, I guess I will . . . ) what I wrote about a job for you thumb to do, but the designs are what they are. Please note that what I said about holstering guns without a job for your thumb was that you need to be especially careful. I chose those words specifically to avoid relative terms (i.e. less safe, more dangerous) because they just cause arguments that miss the point.
Example: A great way to avoid an AD/ND with a pistol is to carry it with the chamber empty. Well, duh? But pulling a "less dangerous" pistol in a bad situation sure as hell could make the situation "more dangerous" for me! See? "Dangerous" is relative. What's the difference between "careful" and "especially careful"? I dunno. Again, I was trying to avoid arguments that miss the point.

The fact that there are steps you can take with some designs that you cannot take with others is what it is. That's not relative.

I don't know the specifics of the two AD/ND events with revolvers that you have first hand knowledge of ("know of".) All I know is I pin the hammer on a revolver when I holster it. I even do so with a single action revolver. It is a good habit and it is a final check that I'm not trying to holster a cocked single action.

Same thing with a DAO semi-auto. Same thing with a Glock if it has a "Gadget" on it. If there is a something to pin, it gets pinned. If a "cocked and locked" pistol, my thumb is holding the safety in the "safe" position. It is not so much that I'm worried about the safety getting pushed off, though that is possible. It is the fact that if I hold it "on", it is a final check that it has in fact been placed in the "on" position.

Another design that leaves your thumb with no job to do are revolvers with fully enclosed hammers. They do tend to have a longer and heavier trigger action than a striker fired pistol, but they still have no way for you to "pin" the action or insure a safety is engaged.

The best "pithy" description of striker fired, no thumb safety pistols I ever heard came from trainer Darryl Bolke, someone with a great deal of knowledge and experience. He said, "I handle them like rattlesnakes." FWIW, there were times in his career when he carried a Glock.
He has also written some very thoughtful stuff about "street triggers", but that is another subject.

There is no arguing your observation that careless gun handling can get you regardless of gun design. I agree with it absolutely. I'm sure people got accidentally killed with flintlock pistols.

Edit to add: To be clear, I'm not saying people shouldn't carry a Glock, or anything else they want to carry. We all hope the people who handle guns in our presence know their gun and how to handle it safely. For that matter, ourselves as well.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/15/19.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

lMAO

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Ugly but dependable work mule.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by gunner500

Or the red headed stepchild 😂

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a Glock world.. period.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My department, Columbus P.D., did a test and evaluation on several pistols in 2006 to replace the aging S&W 4506s that we were issued in 1990. They decided on the S&W M&P in 40 S&W. The main reason this pistol was chosen over the Glock 22 .40 S&W was the fear of negligent discharges when pulling the Glock's trigger to disassemble for cleaning. The M&P feels as good in my hand as any pistol I've ever held, I just don't trust it. Sometimes it wouldn't lock open on an empty magazine. sometimes it would slam closed when a full mag was inserted. Minor stuff? Maybe, but I like my firearms to work like they're supposed to. Because I was assigned to a covert unit, I was allowed to carry my Glock 27, or my department owned covert gun, a Gen 2 Glock 23. Later this year, I hear that CPD will transition to the S&W M&P in 9mm. The reason? Easier to handle for "Smaller framed officers" I'm pretty sure they mean women. I have total faith in my Glock pistols to perform as advertised!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Signature line of one of the posters on the 1911 forums...

"Liking a Glock is a Version of Stockholm Symdrome. Nobody likes it but they get used to it in time."

My line...... "Life if too short to go through it with an ugly gun..."

That said I do like the G19/3...have owned a bunch of other Glocks and have shot most of the models but really didn't care for any of them but the 19...just a good balance of compactness, power, magazine capacity and recoil control...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always interesting the guys that truly think Glock pistols won't choke. Glock is as reliable as any other modern good quality semi auto. No more, no less.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Always interesting the guys that truly think Glock pistols won't choke. Glock is as reliable as any other modern good quality semi auto. No more, no less.

I've got nine that have never jammed. One came from the factory with a defective part. They replaced the part and sent it back, and it's been perfect since. That was a Model 21 (.45 ACP).

The overwhelming majority are super reliable from the factory, and if there's a problem, it's obvious immediately. I suspect that 21 had a defective part because the gun shop guys used it to practice detail stripping Glocks, and damaged a small part in the process. That's my suspicion, because they all talked like they like to do that when they were bored.

You can shoot a Glock dirty and it will keep working, although relubing it every five hundred rounds is a good idea, even if you choose not to clean it but once in a thousand rounds.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I sure aint any kind of cop , operator or any of those other sexy names , but I carry an old and ugly G23 . I love that piece of ugly crap .

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It took me a long time to come around to buying one. I've since tried very hard to not like them, but keep coming back to them. They just work for me. I shoot them better than anything else I've tried. And I've tried the Smith M&P's. On paper they are a better gun, but not in my hands. And a M&P is only about $50 less, not $150 less.

A couple of months ago I did pick up one of the Sig M17's. Once again on paper I like it better, but time will tell. For now I still shoot my Glocks better. But I'm going to give the Sig an honest chance to win me over.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
you show your friends your nickle plated sissy pistols and your 1911's, you show those intent on doing you terminal bodily harm your glocks.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yep. You wore out that .45 I sent you yet ?🤠

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/15/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1911 pistols have a proven track record. We were never allowed to carry them by division policy, so I never became comfortable with them. Sig pistols are also fine weapons. But after 30 years of shooting the low bore axis Glock pistols, they feel like the sights are a foot above my hand. I'm a lefty so my Gen 5 19 is really growing on me. It has an ambidextrous slide lock lever, and I switched the mag release to the right side.

Ron

Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

I've got nine that have never jammed. One came from the factory with a defective part. They replaced the part and sent it back, and it's been perfect since. That was a Model 21 (.45 ACP).

The overwhelming majority are super reliable from the factory, and if there's a problem, it's obvious immediately. I suspect that 21 had a defective part because the gun shop guys used it to practice detail stripping Glocks, and damaged a small part in the process. That's my suspicion, because they all talked like they like to do that when they were bored.

You can shoot a Glock dirty and it will keep working, although relubing it every five hundred rounds is a good idea, even if you choose not to clean it but once in a thousand rounds.

Exactly to the point I was making. The very same can be said of many quality handguns today. Modern S&W, Sig, CZ, FN, Beretta and Springfield pistols do the same thing. And for what it's worth I personally have seen Glocks not only malfunction, but also have small parts break. I had a class last summer with a Glock shooter on either side of me. One female and one male and both of them had malfunctions consistently throughout the class. It happens...

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I had a class last summer with a Glock shooter on either side of me. One female and one male and both of them had malfunctions consistently throughout the class. It happens...

As Hickok45 says, there are some people, no matter what auto pistol you put in their hand, they will have malfunctions with them.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shot `em for 15yrs and wouldn't mind if I never saw another. Most overrated pistol in existence. Terrible grip angle and shape, coarse plastic sights and they're ugly as Pelosi. When I bought my first in 1991, there were scant comparable options. So many better options available today.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CraigC
Shot `em for 15yrs and wouldn't mind if I never saw another. Most overrated pistol in existence. Terrible grip angle and shape, coarse plastic sights and they're ugly as Pelosi. When I bought my first in 1991, there were scant comparable options. So many better options available today.

In esthetics and comfort in the hand, perhaps, but not better in any other sense. As for the sights, the plastic ones are place holders. You're supposed to pick the sights you want and install them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too. Loving the PPQ M2.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I have nothing bad to say about the PPQ, either. I used to have the M1 version, with the European style mag release. Nice guns. I will note, however, that roll pins are involved in a detail strip on them. The Glock is designed so it can be detailed stripped, parts replaced, and reassembled easily, no roll pins.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In esthetics and comfort in the hand, perhaps, but not better in any other sense. As for the sights, the plastic ones are place holders. You're supposed to pick the sights you want and install them.

Part of the over priced BS, with glocks it’s alway “replace or work on the trigger, replace sights”. Buy a Sig they don’t need anything but Ammo.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

Part of the over priced BS, with glocks it’s alway “replace or work on the trigger, replace sights”. Buy a Sig they don’t need anything but Ammo.

Nowadays, you can order your Glock with several options in sights. You don't have to buy the ones with the plastic sights installed. The triggers are great from the factory.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I had a class last summer with a Glock shooter on either side of me. One female and one male and both of them had malfunctions consistently throughout the class. It happens...

As Hickok45 says, there are some people, no matter what auto pistol you put in their hand, they will have malfunctions with them.

Your hero Hickok45

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Your hero Hickok45

My hero?? He's a popular YouTuber who reviews guns in a lighthearted and entertaining way. Do you have an issue with him? I mean, I don't like his strong support of the NRA. I'd rather he support GOA, but that's the only criticism I can think of for the guy.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Your hero Hickok45

My hero?? He's a popular YouTuber who reviews guns in a lighthearted and entertaining way. Do you have an issue with him? I mean, I don't like his strong support of the NRA. I'd rather he support GOA, but that's the only criticism I can think of for the guy.

You bring him up a lot.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yep. You wore out that .45 I sent you yet ?🤠

LOL, lord no, I only have maybe 500 rounds through it, I will say the trigger is getting smoother with use, hell, I haven't even been able to break loose and go shooting with TWR and his buds over in Ada, I should know better by now than to try and schedule ANY fun this time of year. grin

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I do not like locks ergonomics, but I love their reliability. I have modified a few to my likings and some are stock. I shoot them well enough that I have no reservations putting them in my waistband. That being said they are just as reliable as my Sig’s HK’s s&w’s and others. They are a very reliable platform.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

You bring him up a lot.

Really? What percentage of my posts mention him? I think the problem is that you have some issue with the guy, and can't stand his name being mentioned for some reason.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You bring him up a lot.

Really? What percentage of my posts mention him? I think the problem is that you have some issue with the guy, and can't stand his name being mentioned for some reason.

You think? What a concept

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Weak.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

That is certainly debatable. It's comical that Glockophiles are always the ones screaming that grip shape/angle is irrelevant. You realize that comfort in the hand and a more natural grip angle leads to better proficiency, right? IMHO, the steel trigger and grip safety, along with the grip size/shape, better trigger action and steel sights make the XD "better". Same for several other options available today. Like I said, I shot them for 15yrs so don't go to any great length defending your choice because I do not agree with it.

I've replaced sights on XD's too, because I wanted to. Not because I needed to ditch cheap, soft plastic.

Glock triggers are awful, even with the 2.5lb connector.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Weak.

I like the guy and enjoy his videos but do not consider him an authority or the last word on anything. I certainly wouldn't quote him as some sort of appeal to authority argument.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Weak.

I like the guy and enjoy his videos but do not consider him an authority or the last word on anything. I certainly wouldn't quote him as some sort of appeal to authority argument.

Summed that up nicely

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

You bring him up a lot.

I know I wouldn't want that old man shooting at me. grin

Trump Won!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I wouldn’t want anyone shooting at me.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I wouldn’t want anyone shooting at me.

Excuse my lame attempt at humor complimenting the old Gent on his marksmanship ; ]

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Weak.

Nor would I. I quoted a quip of his.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
There's two different types of grip comfort, IMO. I'll agree that in static holding, the M&P feels more comfortable than a Glock. However, when firing, in sharper recoiling guns like the .40, the Glock feels more comfortable since the recoil is spread over the wider and squarer backstrap. I wish people would stop saying the Glock grip angle is "wrong". It may be wrong for them, but not for others. Like I mentioned earlier, nobody complains about the grip angle of a Ruger Mark-whatever or a Luger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

TRH, You aren't "supposed" to pick the sights you want, it is a necessity. Gaston didn't design that into the gun for that purpose. Plastic sights are cheap and fit the concept. End user be damned. Which drives the price up even more for the knowledgeable shooter. Ignoring and cherry picking doesn't make the Glock negatives go away. It does shed light on a lack of experience and objectivity of the person banging the drum. I'm not anti Glock, I still own a G19 and a G20. I've carried the G22 professionally for years and shot a lot of government supplied ammo through it. I shoot Glock guns very well. With that said, they aren't magical machines that never malfunction or break. In today's gun world they aren't special in any particular way. There are lots of options on the market as good and in some respects better than Glock.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Like I mentioned earlier, nobody complains about the grip angle of a Ruger Mark-whatever or a Luger.

I do and it's why I no longer own one. HUGE preference for the 22/45 or Buckmark.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like I mentioned earlier, nobody complains about the grip angle of a Ruger Mark-whatever or a Luger.

I do and it's why I no longer own one. HUGE preference for the 22/45 or Buckmark.

You beat me to the post and I couldn't agree more. The Ruger Standard and MK Series target 22s are good designs with shi-tay ergos. I used to buy or trade for them and immediately start looking for corrective grips. I finally washed my hands of them. I have no time for troublesome guns, women, dogs, horses etc. Fit or get and don't lollygag around about it.

The next 22 auto purchased here will be a Browning Buckmark or maybe a 1911-22.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Getting back to the original question, if it weren't for Glocks, what would all the stipplers do for a living?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

You bring him up a lot.

Don't know what percentage of your posts mention him but I can't think of another poster who brings him up as often.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
He's a big gun celeb on YouTube. Why should it be odd if his name is occasionally mentioned on a gun site? What do you have against him?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hickock is a good shot and an affable sort. The guy must be a retired teacher as he sets his 'reviews' up to kill an hour of classroom time, including discussion. He bores me to tears and I never watch more than 5 minutes of his videos, fast forwarding like a mofo.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
And then there is Nut-n-fancy. Great information but long and drawn out.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've watched a few of Hickock45's vids. There is always good info in there, but good god, he can prattle on and on.

I haven't watched any of his vids lately, just too painful. If he would distill them down to under 10 minutes, I'd check them out.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To stay down the Hickcock45 rabbit hole, it is kind of cool when he shoots something big and slow (think .45 ACP) at that big, distant gong. When the camera guy zooms in on the gong, due to the "compression of distance", you can often see the bullets in flight before they strike the gong.

Hickcock can stretch things out a bit much, but at least he doesn't try to be the expert some other YouTubers claim to be. There is one survivalist guy, who primarily reviews knives, that for some reason really sticks in my craw. WAY full of his bad self!

BUT a true delight is Kirsten Joy Weiss. Hotter than burning toast, but in a wholesome sort of way, smart, fun to watch, and she can flat shoot. She was shooting at an egg, 300 yards, with a .22, from STANDING!, and showing her misses. It took her about 12 shots to hit the egg, but I believe every shot would have stayed on a 10" paper plate. Scary accurate! Some will say she edits out the big misses, but I don't think so. She just doesn't seem to be into looking like an expert.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/18/19.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Count me in as a fan of Hickok45

Seems like a good guy and he can shoot pretty good too

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ain't hard to pick out the butt hurt glock fanBOYSZ .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a Glock 19, 20, and 22 about 20 years ago and have modified them and overloaded them.

They would be a great gun for a cop and open carry.

Right now I have the Ruger LCP with laser in my shirt pocket. Can't put a Glock in that pocket, it would not fit.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Its a shame that they work as good as they do, that's the only thing they have going for them. I rate G17/19 as good dependable SD firearms mine just work when asked to do so, OTOH the SIG P365 is a better CCW firearm than the G43 or Shield.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I got a Glock 19, 20, and 22 about 20 years ago and have modified them and overloaded them.

Right now I have the Ruger LCP with laser in my shirt pocket. Can't put a Glock in that pocket, it would not fit.

Closest Glock to a pants pocket gun is the Model 42.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I have the 42 IWB right now... Love this model

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DAMARA

You can wear that IWB all day and forget you're carrying a handgun.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DAMARA

You can wear that IWB all day and forget you're carrying a handgun.

You really can and with the the Hyve +2, I'm holding 9 Underwood XTP+P

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't have much use for pistols.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have owned two Glocks, a 22 and a 34. Both ran flawlessly. Neither was especially accurate. Was surprised how sloppy the barrel was on the 34 I owned.

Carry guns, at least for me, need thumb safeties. I could see a Glock as a house drawer gun. Pick it up only to either unload for a range trip, or to investigate bumping things in the night.

The Gen 5 G34's are interesting, supposedly a better trigger and accepts optical sights. So I might try one. Guess I could fit a new barrel if it doesn't shoot.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
"Carry guns have thumb safeties."

That's pretty archaic thinking. Most recognized experts on the subject state the opposite, i.e., thumb safeties don't belong on carry guns.

But if that's your view, Glock will put one on your Glock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's pretty archaic thinking. Most recognized experts on the subject state the opposite, i.e., thumb safeties don't belong on carry guns.

What's the extra charge for that?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

I don't know. Contact them if you're interested. I know they make runs of them for police forces around the world who require them.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've had the opportunity to make Hickok45's acquaintance. I found him to be a down to earth type fellow, who, like many of us, has a genuine interest in firearms and their history. We had a nice conversation and if the opportunity had been available, I would have enjoyed spending some range time with him. Nice enough guy.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I've had the opportunity to make Hickok45's acquaintance. I found him to be a down to earth type fellow, who, like many of us, has a genuine interest in firearms and their history. We had a nice conversation and if the opportunity had been available, I would have enjoyed spending some range time with him. Nice enough guy.

That's how he comes across on his YouTube channel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't know. Contact them if you're interested. I know they make runs of them for police forces around the world who require them.

Not sure Glock would do that for an individual purchasing just one or two pistols. At least I've never heard of such.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Not sure Glock would do that for an individual purchasing just one or two pistols. At least I've never heard of such.

Here's a picture of one ordered by an Asian nation's police force.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I'm sure that Hamhock .45 is a nice guy. No doubt in my mind.

But like lots of nice guys he likes to hear himself rattle. And this is evident in his videos.

He comes across as likeable, fairly intelligent, and chatty. If it can be said in 10 words or less he has an uncanny ability to expound/expand on a dialogue to the point of inanity.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a picture of one ordered by an Asian nation's police force.

[Linked Image]

Is that the police force in Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, or Yemen?

Just kidding, but you might want to specify.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.