-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hostess fruit pies and Red Bull that you grab at the 24hr covenience store at 4am when you are on the way up to the elk mountain. Yeah!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pixarezzo
Breakfast has to have hashbrowns �

In the old predigital days of silver-halide photography, the time in the developer and the temperature of the developer separately and more or less independently determined the contrast and density of the negative or print image.

Making spuds into hashed browns or chips similarly comprises two changes � drying 'em out and browning 'em. Deep-frying does both. It converts the spuds' internal water into steam and drives it out (that's the bubbling that you see), and it turns the taters tan or brown � or black if you overdo it (that's the heat).

Before my stroke, I went through bag after bag of Number One russets, deep-frying daily batches of chips in hot peanut oil. Yum! (Slobber! Slobber!)

My kitchen stove doesn't work, and I can't afford a new one right now, so I've been experimenting with tater chips in my counter-top convection oven. It's very obvious that I have to handle drying and browning separately. First two batches got too much heat before they got completely dry.

� I slice the taters in a big Salad Shooter � a bit thicker than store-bought chips, and a lot thinner and more uniform than I can slice 'em with a knife. I spread the chips on a couple of wire screens and sprinkle 'em with salt.

� I dry the chips out by setting the oven time for an hour or more. The oven's convection fan really drives the water out.

� I brown 'em lightly by setting the oven temperature no higher than 250� F.

And they go well with my spicy, oniony, home-made bean dip. I have to spit 'em out after I've chewed all the taste out of 'em, but they ain't fattening that way!

grin

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, I've let you guys/guyettes flounder around long enought Here it is:

Grits (cooked at least an hour so they are creeaammmmmy)
Crisp bacon but not burnt (burned to you city folk)
Toast
Cold sweet milk
Grape or blackberry jelly
Black coffee after the food.

For some reason I have never liked a hot liquid with my food. Cold milk (I drink at least 2 gallons a week) or sweet iced tea

Never cared much for eggs since I had to gather and clean 3-400 every day after school. No automatic gathering and cleaning unless you called me automatic.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Cherry pie...if you're in a hurry. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No automatic gathering and cleaning unless you called me automatic.

now that depends Mickey, did you just go out and gather them every day or were you told everyday to go out and get them..........

if you automatically went out to get them that you were an automatic gatherer..........if yah had to be told to do it everyday you were a manual gatherer grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rocky and EE, my Grandmother was still cooking with lard well into her 90's. The doctor kept trying to get her to stop, telling her it would kill her. Her answer was, "it's taking it' own sweet time about it". She always said to put a tablespoon of lard in the dishwater with a tablespoon of Crisco with it. See which one disolved first. She passed at 102 years old.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
No automatic gathering and cleaning unless you called me automatic.

now that depends Mickey, did you just go out and gather them every day or were you told everyday to go out and get them..........

if you automatically went out to get them that you were an automatic gatherer..........if yah had to be told to do it everyday you were a manual gatherer grin

You have a point. I worked from the time I got up. Fed 3-5000 chickens and milked two cows in the morning, many days I came in a cooked breakfast. In the afternoon I got off the bus, grabbed a snack, fed 3-5000 chickens again, fed the laying hens and gathered eggs and separated the cow and calf. I didn't do that for my entire teen years because some years we only had one milk cow and only had laying hens a couple of years. I automatically gathered the eggs 'cause it was my a** if I didn't. Never did anything right according to my dad in my entire life. (Don't get me started on that...... frown )

Believe it or not but I have times when I feel guilty because I fear I didn't feed the chickens enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dammit Mickey i was shooting for a joke crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
Never did anything right according to my dad in my entire life. (Don't get me started on that...... frown )

Mickey,
You and I have more in common than you know....
Sorry....

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Rocky and EE, my Grandmother was still cooking with lard well into her 90's. The doctor kept trying to get her to stop, telling her it would kill her. Her answer was, "it's taking it' own sweet time about it". She always said to put a tablespoon of lard in the dishwater with a tablespoon of Crisco with it. See which one disolved first. She passed at 102 years
old.

My grandfather ate streak-o-lean (salt pork) for breakfast every day. He died at 91.

I remember an editorial in the Montgomery Advertiser when I was a teen. In it a 90-something year old was being interviewed and was asked the secret to a long life. "Don't smoke, don't drink and don't chase wimmen", he replied. The editor remarked that was all well and good but consider this: what is it to life to have never known the luxury of an after dinner cigarette, the twilight glow of drunkeness or the bitter sweet memories of an old love affair then get run over by some idiot on the highway just shy of your 40th birthday? There's more to life than getting old......but now that I'm old it ain't so bad. wink

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We need to get together and have us a good cry, don't we?

An example: In 1972 I was number 43 out of 12,500 agents in the U.S. I was invited to Las Vegas to the national convention and paraded across the stage recognized as an agent with honors due to my production. Made the President's Club and won a trip to Acupulco, Mexico in addition to the trip to Las Vegas. My father's comment? "What about them 42 agents ahead of you?"

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
And now one final note on this beautiful Sunday evening
What's your favorite mid night snack? or nine o'clock snack for those of us that have to get to bed early (cause we've been up since 5am)
Graham crackers peanut butter and a cold glass of chocolate milk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Rocky and EE, my Grandmother was still cooking with lard well into her 90's. The doctor kept trying to get her to stop, telling her it would kill her. Her answer was, "it's taking it' own sweet time about it". She always said to put a tablespoon of lard in the dishwater with a tablespoon of Crisco with it. See which one disolved first. She passed at 102 years
old.

My grandfather ate streak-o-lean (salt pork) for breakfast every day. He died at 91.

Genetics......................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Am I the only one that enjoys bran cereal with a ripe banana? I also love sliced avocado/tomato on a crisp piece of romaine lettuce....and I always drink cranberry juice in the morning....loooooove that stuff!!

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
Elf Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heck Bueford we haven't hit dinner here yet grin

But I think I would have been able to guess the snack of the evening for your household.
grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HoundGirl
Am I the only one that enjoys bran cereal with a ripe banana? I also love sliced avocado/tomato on a crisp piece of romaine lettuce....and I always drink cranberry juice in the morning....loooooove that stuff!!

HoundGirl

HG,
I like Sugar Frosted Flakes with a banana.....they're GRRRRRREEEAAAATTT!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AdkBueford
And now one final note on this beautiful Sunday evening
What's your favorite mid night snack? or nine o'clock snack for those of us that have to get to bed early (cause we've been up since 5am)
Graham crackers peanut butter and a cold glass of chocolate milk.

Sugar Frosted Flakes.......with a banana if I have one. I can buy a green banana at the store and it has dark spots on it the next day. Don't remember them doing that 55 years ago.....must be some gas they treat them with for shipping?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Grandfather always maintained the breakfast of kings was a couple of pan fried quail and biscuits and gravy. Hard to argue particularly if the getting the quail involved a good dog and a 28 gauge.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
We need to get together and have us a good cry, don't we?

I'm done crying anything but tears of joy....

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HoundGirl

HoundGirl

Sounds like classic girl food to me :):) I'd only eat a breakfast like that under doctor's orders, and then I'd consider it duress. My wife might like something like that, though.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,608
Posts18,532,785
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.