-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best snek bite protection is living where Jake NoShoulders can't exist.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i guess all the guys who wear snake boots never pay any attention to where their walking. even when i've worn snake boots i look where i'm stepping.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i guess all the guys who wear snake boots never pay any attention to where their walking. even when i've worn snake boots i look where i'm stepping.

That's one way to make sure you get lotsa birthdays.

smile

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I spend a lot of time in the woods during the summer in the Southeast. It is HOT. I own a pair of gaitors that come up to my knees, but even they get too hot. I always have a walking stick and have started using it like a blind man uses his cane. I swing it back and forth in a wide arc in front of me and several feet to each side into the brush and tall grass before I walk through it. The hope is that any snake will strike at the stick and show himself before I get there. But there are some areas where I just get hot and wear the gaitors.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Beansnbacon33
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Snake boots.

^^^This^^^

Rocky makes some decent ones that aren’t too expensive.

I have had the WORST experience with Rocky boots. Bought a pair for work a few years back and I'm not exaggerating when I say that they fell apart in every part after a month. Couple of years later, wife bought me a pair of Rocky snake boots and after 4 uses, the soles completely started coming off. From what I hear Rocky made good quality boots in the beginning and from ALOT of things I've read, they are complete schit now. Shame on them. Won't give them another penny ever, let the ship sink. Maybe it was a bad batch. But twice? I have a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter upland snake boots I bought when they were being discontinued in the 90s, that have proven to be outstanding quality for about 8 years now. Nothing is a guarantee, but snake boots me feel a little more at ease. Buy they best you can afford and do some research. Not much more you can do besides stay indoors.

Had a pair of Rocky hunting shoes. They lasted longer than yours did Beansnbacon, actually several years of hunting. But they were only worn during hunting season. The soles crumbled at the edge seams despite the tread showing little wear at all. I agree, won't ever buy another pair. What a shame though, because they were a comfortable pair of shoes. The only problem I can see with them is the compound they use simply decomposes and crumbles.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Danner Pronghorn side zip/lace up snake boots are my favorite followed by Justin Stampede side zip snake boots. I have chaps for people that hunt with me that don't have snake boots.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I depend on Rocky snake proof, water proof boots. Mine are 17” tall. Wore out my first pair with 12 years of heavy use. The boots defeated one moccasin strike, and two large diamondback strikes, along with several Pygmy rattler hits. I spend a lot of time in swamps.

Sam......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I depend on Rocky snake proof, water proof boots. Mine are 17” tall. Wore out my first pair with 12 years of heavy use. The boots defeated one moccasin strike, and two large diamondback strikes, along with several Pygmy rattler hits. I spend a lot of time in swamps.

You're one of those lucky ones then. Some people swear by them. Not my luck I guess.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That’s the ones I’ve got Sam. They’re pretty tough!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I like my Turtle Skin Snake Gaiters. I spray them with Sawyers repellent and they do double duty as a seal at the pants cuff preventing ticks and chiggers from entering.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Snake boots.

^^^This^^^

Rocky makes some decent ones that aren’t too expensive.

I have had the WORST experience with Rocky boots. Bought a pair for work a few years back and I'm not exaggerating when I say that they fell apart in every part after a month. Couple of years later, wife bought me a pair of Rocky snake boots and after 4 uses, the soles completely started coming off. From what I hear Rocky made good quality boots in the beginning and from ALOT of things I've read, they are complete schit now. Shame on them. Won't give them another penny ever, let the ship sink. Maybe it was a bad batch. But twice? I have a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter upland snake boots I bought when they were being discontinued in the 90s, that have proven to be outstanding quality for about 8 years now. Nothing is a guarantee, but snake boots me feel a little more at ease. Buy they best you can afford and do some research. Not much more you can do besides stay indoors.

Had a pair of Rocky hunting shoes. They lasted longer than yours did Beansnbacon, actually several years of hunting. But they were only worn during hunting season. The soles crumbled at the edge seams despite the tread showing little wear at all. I agree, won't ever buy another pair. What a shame though, because they were a comfortable pair of shoes. The only problem I can see with them is the compound they use simply decomposes and crumbles.

Yep. The ones I've had had were total garbage waste of money. These I have now are very "old school " looking. Look like the ones our grandpas wore bird hunting. Don't mind at all that they're not camo. Great great boots. Might need to be re soled pretty soon but they are red wings, and CAN BE.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How long has the second pair been working out for you?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

I do, but I have a habit of looking from wearing combat and jungle boots in snake country while in uniform.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ALWAYS looking. And not just the ground! A snake hanging off a limb you're about to grab will shake the pizz out of you no matter what kind.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Are you guys talking about the rubber "muck" type hunting snake boots?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Are you guys talking about the rubber "muck" type hunting snake boots?

Mine are not rubber. Here are the ones I use:

https://www.rockyboots.com/rocky/me...0243.html?dwvar_RKS0243_color=20#start=1

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/16/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I have two years on the second pair. They have not yet proved themselves with pit vipers, but they are very waterproof. And yeah Roger I watch where I am going, but snakes can be sneaky. 😜
Not neoprene. Corduroy nylon. Model # RKSO228BP. From Bass Pro

Last edited by Mannlicher; 06/16/19.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I spend more time looking at the ground for snakes & arrowheads, then I do looking around for deer. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I have two years on the second pair. They have not yet proved themselves with pit vipers, but they are very waterproof. And yeah Roger I watch where I am going, but snakes can be sneaky. 😜

and stepping in a hole and breaking an ankle or leg.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I spend more time looking at the ground for snakes & arrowheads, then I do looking around for deer. 🤠

Guilty of that too!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 12 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,603
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.