-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Long time lurker and new member here looking for some advice.

I’m planning on going to Alaska next year to hunt Caribou. So I initially called Bob Summers of Deltana Outfitters, but he told me that he is only doing draw hunts and that he sold his main Caribou operation to Matt and Emily Thoft of Ovis Outfitters and he highly recommend that I call them. I spoke with Matt yesterday and he was very helpful and from what I can tell it sounds like he has a great outfit going.

However, I can’t seem to find anything online about them. No posts from happy hunters, nor anyone using them for any kind of hunting. Zero reviews and I spent a lot of time searching.

Was curious if anyone here has hunted with them or has heard anything positive or negative about them?

This will be my first major hunt and likely a once in a lifetime thing so I’m trying to do my homework.

Thanks for having me and for any help you can provide.

-Danny

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Best thing to do if not online, after having talked with them, get them to give you phone numbers of latest few years of clients but you want successful and non successful BOTH. drop a few dimes, give em a call.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I knew Deltana Outfitters was interested in selling out their North Slope caribou operation but I don't know the new owners.
Deltana usually operated out of the Happy Valley area in te Brooks Range foothills. If I hear something of interest, I'll advise.

Vern

Delta/Tanana

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I flew with Matt’s brother Brett before he passed. Great guy.

A buddy of mine is/was good friends with both of the Thoft boys. I would trust his word and judgment on anything so I’d bet the farm that Matt is good to go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you doing a guided or unguided hunt?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know them well and you won't find nicer or harder working folks

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by 458Win

There is no better recommendation than Phil's.

None.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are online via personal pages like Instagram, etc. They are the real deal, and will do everything they can to make sure you have a great experience. Emily and my wife are from the same small Montana town, and she has always been as solid, honest and hardworking as they get. I've only known her since she was about 12....

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
S
OP Offline
S
When I spoke to Bob Summers he said hunted Happy Valley, and that’s what he sold to Orvis.

I did email them asking several questions including a list of previous clients. Matt mentioned he would be unavailable for a few days so I haven’t gotten a response from them yet.

It will be a fully guided hunt. I will be hunting alone and I’m not brave enough to go it alone for my first trip to Alaska. I would absolutely love to try unguided or semi if I had a group of friends but none of my hunting partners are able or interested.

Very happy to read the positive comments about them, so thank you all very much for that.

Aside from getting an email response from them I think I’ll be mailing them a check next time I speak to them.

Thanks again fellas, and if anyone has any more comments please post.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Smart move on your part re: going alone. Good luck!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
alone. the only way. LOL. I love it, but its not all that safe or smart. Says some about me I suppose....

Wife says I'm dumb when I'm alone on moose hunts and pull the trigger with no help. No problem so far.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
OP Offline
S
rost495, one man moose packing sounds like quite the adventure!

I see the advantages of being one on one with the guide but I wouldn’t mind having another hunter with me. Obviously that’s from my current perspective from the outside looking in. We shall see.

Thanks

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Originally Posted by 458Win

There is no better recommendation than Phil's.

None.

Steve

Exactly what I was thinking Steve. Good to see you post and I hope all is well with you and yours.

MDC - although there may be other good alternatives, if you were already looking at this outfit, I’d look no further. You won’t get a more honest and knowledgable endorsement.

Not to mention if you go guided, you can go lighter and also throw possibility of grizzly in as well as possible other species depending on what is in season (I dont know anymore).

Great way and best species to get introduced to AK.

Last edited by Akbob5; 06/16/19.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.