L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by logger
I've decided to explore the world of better (I hope) sunglasses. Up to now, I've just used cheap polarized sunglasses, but since we are now spending about 40-50 days salmon fishing on tide water rivers, I'm looking to upgrade. I've had a good exchange with poster here and further suggestion would be welcome. I was headed to the Costas, but continue to see some negative reviews about their rubber coatings coming off.

Prescription or OTC?

OTC

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by SeanD
Costco sells last years models of Maui Jim glasses for $90.

That is good to know since I lost my $250 pair.

Even though I eventually lost that pair, I will say this. Once you buy expensive sunglasses they will last you a lot longer than the cheapies because you just automatically take better care of them.

Hah..says you !

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like Costa and Maui Jim. Have some of both. As stated by others, I like glass, but I insist on poly for shooting and fishing, most especially flyfishing.

I counted, and I have seven pairs of Costas, mostly bought at a deep discount at places like Sierra Trading Post. Mostly these are all different colors for different flyfishing conditions. A few years back I bought identical ugly camo-framed Costas, each with a different color poly lens (yellow, amber, gray) for $68 each. These and others get varied use for hunting and shooting as well.

I have a set of Costa Tuna Alleys at the warranty shop as we speak. The turtle frame snapped at the nose bridge while taking them off. We’ll see how good Costa’s warranty is.

I have had 2 experiences with Maui Jim warranty, and both times it was impeccable. Love Maui Jim glass too, though the frames tend to be less robust, and so I shy away from them for hard use.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Check out The Watchery nice watches and sunglasses,bought some real nice stuff there cheap.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Costa Permit model and Maui Jim Hanalei model is what I’ve worn for seemingly forever. Costas on the water and Maui’s driving. Very pleased.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had all mentioned + Mako's when in Australia.

Once the mako's died, bought Native's, 7 years ago (mid priced) that I still wear today.

Excellent side, above & below coverage.

[Linked Image]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glass costas.

Though I’ve got a big melon head and they only have a few frames that fit.

I do wanna try the Maui Jim glass “onshore” model.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Have 3 pairs of Maui Jim Spartan Reef's, a pair of Costa Jose's in blue glass and 2 pair native kodiaks with copper polarized and silver polarized. I wear Maui Jim's every day all day and love them. Gave my Costas to my son and the natives ride in the truck for when I'm weed eating or cutting rebar or anything else that could damage them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Maui Jim polarized with glass lenses are the best sunglasses I've ever owned.

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like the Costas with the 580p lenses. I wear the blue/gray lenses in the summer and green/amber in winter. I like the Blackfin but everybody's noggin is different

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll umpteenth the Costa Del Mar’s. I’m on my last pair of Sandman’s and will upgrade to a newer version when they fall out of my pocket and I step on them. Again.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by victoro
I had what I thought was a pretty good pair of polarized Megellan (Academy) sunglasses but I was at one of my grandson's baseball games and got busted checking out the cleavage of a hot divorced Mom who was always asking me baseball questions. I didn't think she could see my eyes but she could and covered her cleavage. She wasn't offended and just smiled. I told I was sorry for peaking but that I had a highly developed cleavage detector. I bought a better pair of Oakley glasses after that. She still talked to me all the time and was very friendly.

Mirror front surface and polarized.

[Linked Image]find 24 hour gas station

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just found another set of Costa Tuna Alleys with the rubber nosepiece completely unglued from the black plastic frame.

These are at least usable for now I suspect, if a PITA, but assuming the warranty is worth a darn, these will be going back as soon as the others are returned.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have 2 pairs of Oakley and 2 pairs of Bolle.

All good to great glasses. But, to my eyes, the Bolle's are optically superior at 1/2 -1/3 the price.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’ve had original glass Ray Bans, Gargoyles, Bolle, Oakley, Maui Jim and probably others. My hands down favorite on the water are my Maui Jim titanium sports. It’s like nothing is on your face and the resolution and colors are spectacular. Right behind them I like Oakley M frames with interchangeable lenses for different conditions. Gargoyles were good, but I left them on the back tire of a tractor I was fixing in the field and by the time I remembered them they were unusable.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't read all of this, but I am always amazed at the number of sunglasses that must be sold, given the ads. The majority of the people that I know wear prescription glasses, so it seems to me that plain sunglasses would have a more limited customer base than they seem to have.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Costa and Wiley X both polarized.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Issue Aviators by American Optical.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maui Jim are awesome when new, then the lens coating goes to crap and they’re hell to clean.

I’ll take Costa.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Have worn Ray Ban Outdoorsman’s since 1976. Never wanted anything more.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 36 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,162
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.