Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don’t think you can beat the combination of optical quality and warranty of Costas. Yes, if you have a model with rubber on the arms and nose, they will eventually break down. Then you send them to Daytona and they repair or relace, free of charge. I haven’t found anything better.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Costa.

Smith optics or native also good considerations.

Oakley have gone down hill in past decade or so.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have Costa Blue Waters for fishing, love them. I have a pair of Ray Ban prescription sunglasses for everyday and I like them as well. There are a lot of good brands to choose from, go try a few on and see what fits and feels best for you.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Smith

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Costa RX for me 580P. Best sunglasses I have owned in 65 years . I know a Dr that does field testing for them, top notch company

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 06/17/19.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wear mostly Oakley’s with the polorized black iridium lenses for driving and Smith Optics for Fly Fishing to be able to see trouts rise to a dry fly.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by logger
I've decided to explore the world of better (I hope) sunglasses. Up to now, I've just used cheap polarized sunglasses, but since we are now spending about 40-50 days salmon fishing on tide water rivers, I'm looking to upgrade. I've had a good exchange with poster here and further suggestion would be welcome. I was headed to the Costas, but continue to see some negative reviews about their rubber coatings coming off.

Prescription or OTC?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've had all the big brands- ray ban, maui jim, costa

I am a glass, polarize lens sunglass consumer.

Ray bans stayed in the dark ages for too long on looks and fit. Got tired of looking like a viet nam pilot. And their shît scratches too easy. One thing I cannot stand is goddamm nosepads. Ray bans are not for people who sweat and do physical labor. Slip off your head when you look down or dig into your ear with those wires. Only people I see wearing ray-bans are fat, cûnty old Lt colonel's wives.

Maui jims I had were great, I even had those made up into a prescription set. Would still wear them but they got scratched up pretty bad and no one will put new lenses in them for less than $300. So they are weed-eater glasses now

Costas, I have had the same pair of 580blue GLASS for over 4 years. Wear them all day, every day. No scratches, the coatings still look great, no rubber coatings are peeling. One of best $260 purchases I have ever made.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I used to buy Oakley's but I'd always end up losing them or wrecking them.

I'm content with $7 Walmart specials these days.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had RayBan, Oakley and Maui Jim. Pick your poison and enjoy! Which you will, cause its worth it.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have settled on Oakley’s and a few el cheapo pairs from gas station.

NRA Patron
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I had what I thought was a pretty good pair of polarized Megellan (Academy) sunglasses but I was at one of my grandson's baseball games and got busted checking out the cleavage of a hot divorced Mom who was always asking me baseball questions. I didn't think she could see my eyes but she could and covered her cleavage. She wasn't offended and just smiled. I told I was sorry for peaking but that I had a highly developed cleavage detector. I bought a better pair of Oakley glasses after that. She still talked to me all the time and was very friendly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I like the Costa 580 in glass - blue tint, though the green is good as well. They are pretty much warrantied forever, unless you get into the special editions.

I like Oakleys as well, but the Costa work better for me for fishing than my Oakleys do - the Oakleys are getting range time over fishing time.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Costa's are simply the best; I like the Blackfin's. Glass is a little better vision but at the expense of weigh so I'll take the plastic for everyday use.

I like the green mirror / slight brown tint for fishing best.

The Oakley's get used for casual wear only anymore for the most part &, actually, a pair of Harley Davidson branded glasses are as good as any of the Oakley's I've ever had at half the cost.

MM

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’ve had Revo’s, Native, Ray Bans, Maui Jim’s and Wiley X. I prefer Maui Jim’s. I do like the safety lenses on the Wiley’s when I’m fishing or hunting. My 2 cents.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by victoro
I had what I thought was a pretty good pair of polarized Megellan (Academy) sunglasses but I was at one of my grandson's baseball games and got busted checking out the cleavage of a hot divorced Mom who was always asking me baseball questions. I didn't think she could see my eyes but she could and covered her cleavage. She wasn't offended and just smiled. I told I was sorry for peaking but that I had a highly developed cleavage detector. I bought a better pair of Oakley glasses after that. She still talked to me all the time and was very friendly.

The only relevant post on this thread 👍🏻

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Smith polarized glass lenses. Blue or green for ocean fishing, brown for fly fishing

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the Stihl ones from ace hardware are my go to. They are about $12.00 and last me about a month before I get smashed in the face or my son steals them and loses them. Somewhere around my house a treasure trove of sunglasses.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve had two pair of Callaway sports glasses for pushing two decades now. One in amber, the other a very light brown. Both are high impact-resistant plastic, supposedly scratch-proof, polarized, and the second one has transitional lens for hunting/fishing in very bright conditions.

They’ve been very serviceable and have had them long enough to change the scripts at least once now and could again. I ordered them through a local optometrist and at the time were pretty spendy but considering how long I’ve used them they have proved to be very economical.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Cheapest ones I can find as they will be broken/scratched/lost with-in three weeks.

I have been through the Rayban/Zeiss phase and they lasted about as long as the cheapies.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SeanD
Costco sells last years models of Maui Jim glasses for $90.

That is good to know since I lost my $250 pair.

Even though I eventually lost that pair, I will say this. Once you buy expensive sunglasses they will last you a lot longer than the cheapies because you just automatically take better care of them.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.