Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Refinishing a Fox Sterlingworth buttstock that has black stained wood around the receiver. Probably accumulated oil from 1922. What is effective for removing it?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Expert advice is on the way, me I'm getting the popcorn. Seriously whiting is often used to remove oil staining from the head of a shotgun stocks like yours.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Expert advice is on the way, me I'm getting the popcorn. Seriously whiting is often used to remove oil staining from the head of a shotgun stocks like yours.

+1

Mix it in acetone to a paste if you really want to get it out. Wrap it in plastic and let it sit overnight. Repeat until satisfied. Heat speeds it up.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I think whiting is just diatomaceous earth. Sold in the bug killer section of Home Depot in bags. Not harmful to humans as long as you dont get it in your eyes.
Sitka is correct in how to use it and for heat I suggest on your vehicle's dash in the sun, in the bag of course.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had luck with acetone. I was never very successful with the whiting/acetone mix. First I use hair dryer or heat gun and it will bring oils to the surface, then wash with acetone. Repeating several times over several days. When I tested an old non-useable stock, I found it only got about 1/8" deep. If you apply a finish fairly quick (within a day or so) it will adhere before any new oil migrates out . I never could get all the stain out.Removing action from the stock gets a lot off the oil out of the in letting. Mostly I used this on old military firearms

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it is diatomaceous earth,
DO NOT BREATH IT!!!

Use a mask

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
If it is diatomaceous earth,
DO NOT BREATH IT!!!

Use a mask

Yep forgot about that.
It's the same thing as floor dry and kitty litter but ground to a powder.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Easy off oven cleaner works well believe it or not.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Yeah, but it wrecks the wood's cellulose in the process. One of the worst protocols to come down the pike years ago.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Yeah, but it wrecks the wood's cellulose in the process. One of the worst protocols to come down the pike years ago.

Absolutely correct!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I worked at UAL I took oil soaked stocks to work to submerge in MEK all day. All oil was gone. Finished super good after. Wiping and whiting goes so far. So does heat. You are still at the surface. To bring gun oil up 1/2" is insane. MEK did it. I do not think you can get any. Nasty stuff. Submerge in acetone might work. Does no good to wipe the surface.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
When I worked at UAL I took oil soaked stocks to work to submerge in MEK all day. All oil was gone. Finished super good after. Wiping and whiting goes so far. So does heat. You are still at the surface. To bring gun oil up 1/2" is insane. MEK did it. I do not think you can get any. Nasty stuff. Submerge in acetone might work. Does no good to wipe the surface.

I've bought MEK at Home Depot.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by bfrshooter

I've bought MEK at Home Depot.

It's often available at paint stores.

Retired cat herder.

R
RAN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
MEK is a powerful solvent, but somewhat hazardous to use in large quantities. Just do it outside and stay upwind. Minimize skin exposure with solvent proof gloves. No open flames.
Whiting is calcium carbonate powder AKA chalk dust. Talcum powder works as well just keep it away from your ovaries. Acetone is relatively safe for human tissue. Your body actually makes a small amount as a metabolic by-product. It is the principal ingredient of fingernail polish remover. The main effect is to defat the skin surface, but the skin will recover. MEK/whiting slurry is a good oil remover, but it is slow. Acetone/whiting slurry is also pretty good but not quite as powerful as the former.

A procedure known as "Wonko's brew" removes oil and old finishes is as follows:

Get a disposable aluminum roaster pan at the supermarket that is large enough for the
stock. Stop by your Home Depot or whatever and get a gallon of acetone and a
gallon of ethyl alcohol. If the stock has a plastic finish you might want a can of
some paste stripper too. Use that first if the outside finish requires it. If
the stock has a varnish or oil finish the acetone will lift that with no
problem. Then toss the stock in the roaster and pour in the acetone (it will
also neutralize the paste stripper). Cover the wood until it floats. Then pull
off a good length of aluminum foil and make a cover for the "tank", sealing it
as well as possible. Be aware that acetone is highly flammable and smoking the
cigar over the top of it is not recommended. Let the things soak for several
days, turning the wood over a couple times a day. When you feel like you're
tired of that, and the acetone looks like it has quit changing color, pour the
acetone back in the can, rinse the roaster out with alcohol, and then soak the
stock in the alcohol just like you did in the acetone. When you yank the baby
out of the alcohol bath it will be CLEAN! And you can seal it and refinish it
anyway you want after you let it dry a couple days.

RAN

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RAN
Talcum powder works as well just keep it away from your ovaries.
RAN

Ha!

Retired cat herder.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RAN
MEK is a powerful solvent, but somewhat hazardous to use in large quantities. Just do it outside and stay upwind. Minimize skin exposure with solvent proof gloves. No open flames.
Whiting is calcium carbonate powder AKA chalk dust. Talcum powder works as well just keep it away from your ovaries. Acetone is relatively safe for human tissue. Your body actually makes a small amount as a metabolic by-product. It is the principal ingredient of fingernail polish remover. The main effect is to defat the skin surface, but the skin will recover. MEK/whiting slurry is a good oil remover, but it is slow. Acetone/whiting slurry is also pretty good but not quite as powerful as the former.

A procedure known as "Wonko's brew" removes oil and old finishes is as follows:

Get a disposable aluminum roaster pan at the supermarket that is large enough for the
stock. Stop by your Home Depot or whatever and get a gallon of acetone and a
gallon of ethyl alcohol. If the stock has a plastic finish you might want a can of
some paste stripper too. Use that first if the outside finish requires it. If
the stock has a varnish or oil finish the acetone will lift that with no
problem. Then toss the stock in the roaster and pour in the acetone (it will
also neutralize the paste stripper). Cover the wood until it floats. Then pull
off a good length of aluminum foil and make a cover for the "tank", sealing it
as well as possible. Be aware that acetone is highly flammable and smoking the
cigar over the top of it is not recommended. Let the things soak for several
days, turning the wood over a couple times a day. When you feel like you're
tired of that, and the acetone looks like it has quit changing color, pour the
acetone back in the can, rinse the roaster out with alcohol, and then soak the
stock in the alcohol just like you did in the acetone. When you yank the baby
out of the alcohol bath it will be CLEAN! And you can seal it and refinish it
anyway you want after you let it dry a couple days.

RAN

I've employed "Wonko the Sane's" brew and yes it indeed works, but it is slow.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
After many applications of acetone and chalk the majority of wood was cleaned up satisfactorily. Light sanding 320 w/d improved wood surface. Stained with Arts formula Herter’s Red and wiskered. Masked checkering and applied Pro-Custom oil, wet sanded 400 for 5 coats. Cleaned checkering with DemBart single line tool and applied DemBart checkering oil sealer tot checkering. Installed new sear spring and we are good to go. Thanks for all the advice!

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by doublegunner
After many applications of acetone and chalk the majority of wood was cleaned up satisfactorily. Light sanding 320 w/d improved wood surface. Stained with Arts formula Herter’s Red and wiskered. Masked checkering and applied Pro-Custom oil, wet sanded 400 for 5 coats. Cleaned checkering with DemBart single line tool and applied DemBart checkering oil sealer tot checkering. Installed new sear spring and we are good to go. Thanks for all the advice!

Let’s see some pictures

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cleaned up an oily Garand stock by putting it in my wife's automatic dishwasher with some dish washing soap. It cleaned it up real nice. It left the dishwasher a mess. After that I used Formula 409 and real hot bath water in the bath tub. (wear thick rubber gloves) I let them dry for a full day and then refinished it with stain and Formby's tung oil varnish. The black plastic bag in the sun works OK. I wrapped the stocks with paper towels to soak up any oil.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 58 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.