Print Thread
Hop To
M
Muffin Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a Remington Express that seems to be 'just a gun'....

No other receiver markings/names other than Remington 870 Express

Wood stock, VR, screw-in choke, s/n ends with 'm', magnum I assume....

Bbl marked 2 3/4 or 3" in magnum receivers, 2 3/4 in all others....

but it has a 30" Bbl................. normal, odd??????

I don't see a listing for 30" bbls on the 'plain' guns..............

Thoughts??

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a number of 870s and at least a half-dozen extra barrels. They mix and match easily. And since the date stamp is on the barrels you may be able to get a clue if the barrel was made in the same time frame as the receiver.

If it is a 3" gun it should say Magnum if it has any age to it. The only difference between the two lengths is the location of the ejector. It is about a quarter-inch farther back on the magnums. Put a fired 3" shell and try to shuck it out. If it stumbles it has the 2 3/4" ejector location.

They stopped marking them as magnums when the 3 1/2" magnums came out.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How are you measuring the length? It should be measured from the inside out with the bolt closed (locked in the firing position).

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wildfowl
How are you measuring the length? It should be measured from the inside out with the bolt closed (locked in the firing position).

???

The barrel is marked 3", so that is a given. What are you trying to measure inside the barrel? The action measurement is purely a function of ejector location.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
wildfowl is talking about the barrel length. You measure barrel length with the bolt closed, put something down the barrel and mark where the end of the barrel is, take it out and then measure from the end that was against the bolt to the mark where the barrel ended. That's how the ATF measures a barrel as well.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
wildfowl is talking about the barrel length. You measure barrel length with the bolt closed, put something down the barrel and mark where the end of the barrel is, take it out and then measure from the end that was against the bolt to the mark where the barrel ended. That's how the ATF measures a barrel as well.

Thanks for elaborating! I don't think I have ever seen a 30" express barrel, but a boat load of 28'ers

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

Obviously that is the only thing you measure that way, but you get plenty close with barrels measured in 2" increments.and the OP has no question about how long the barrel is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
but it has a 30" Bbl................. normal, odd??????

I don't see a listing for 30" bbls on the 'plain' guns..............

-------------------

I don't think OP measured it correctly because I am not aware of any 'express' guns being made with 30" barrels.

Last edited by wildfowl; 06/17/19.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A bit unusual but they have been making them for a long time and mixing and matching barrels is extremely easy. Somehow it happened whether by special order or someone sticking them together...

Look at the date code on the barrel and see how that lines up with offerings at the time... gun digest annuals are good for those questions.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
^^^^^^^^^&

Wut sitka sed

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.