Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
CZ- Back in the 90s I had an old Bushnell "Sportview" 4x on a ruger #1 .458WM! It held up just fine, but that Ruger was heavy as a truck axel, and it pushed rather than "snapped" in recoil. Still impressive, ha.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Time to revive this thread............. I found the old 340 Weatherby article written by Ross Seyfried that appeared in the September, 1989 issue of "Guns and Ammo" magazine. This thread reminded me that Ross was a big 340 Weatherby fan and I managed to come across that very issue. Just to get an idea here's two comments from Ross in his summation in the last paragraph..............

"The 340 Weatherby will do it all. If it has a limitation, it will be that some hunters will find the recoil level too high".

"We may see the day when bullet and propellant technology will produce a better all-around cartridge, but right now the 340 Weatherby stands alone".

Always liked his work and he knew that of which he spoke. If Ross likes it then it's gotta be good.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Time to revive this thread............. I found the old 340 Weatherby article written by Ross Seyfried that appeared in the September, 1989 issue of "Guns and Ammo" magazine. This thread reminded me that Ross was a big 340 Weatherby fan and I managed to come across that very issue. Just to get an idea here's two comments from Ross in his summation in the last paragraph..............

"The 340 Weatherby will do it all. If it has a limitation, it will be that some hunters will find the recoil level too high".

"We may see the day when bullet and propellant technology will produce a better all-around cartridge, but right now the 340 Weatherby stands alone".

Always liked his work and he knew that of which he spoke. If Ross likes it then it's gotta be good.

Any chance you could scan that article, I would love to read what Ross Seyfried had to say about the 340 smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not too computer savvy, but if you want, I can take nice digital photos, download 'em onto the computer and then E-Mail them. PM me if interested. I found that article real interesting. Being retired now gives me time to fool around with stuff like that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LukefromBC

Any chance you could scan that article, I would love to read what Ross Seyfried had to say about the 340 smile

Ah, that is the very article by RS that drove me to the 340 Wby. Somewhat later, when the Win Failsafe bullet came out and other mono’s he wrote of these bullets lifting the effectiveness of the cartridges they were loaded in and finally declared, IIRC, that of the “middles” the 338 Win was now his new favorite. I think the article that changed him was about a 30-06 safari for feral donkeys Down Under, and he was amazed at the “new” effectiveness of the cartridge loaded with the Failsafe bullet. (IIRC, RS had a Champlin in 340 Wby).

I wrote Mr Seyfried back at Guns & Ammo in a friendly manner stating in effect that then every cartridge (i.e., the 340 ) was also improved In effectiveness. G&A published that letter and his response. But RS stuck to his guns (no pun intended but it would work 😉) but it was a good exchange.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Because of newer "everything", including rifles, powder and bullets, I too switched to a 9.3 x 62 as my "medium"> It will do just about anything a .375 H&H or .338 WM can do, and could fit the shoes of a .340.

a 250 AB at 2700+
a 286 NP at 2600+, and
a 320 W at 2400 +

All in a 7.7 lb ready-to-hunt rifle with a 22.4" barrel.

One powder = RL-17
One case = Hornady
One primer = WLRM

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V

Is that the article where he used a FMJ on a wounded moose, if I recall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went back and looked at it again... In the wounded moose part of the story; he finished it off with a 250 gr. Nosler from 200 yards. The FMJ part must have been the section on a wounded British Columbia Mountain Caribou bull that had been wounded with a 250 gr. Nosler, hit too far back from about 350 yards. Went down but got up as he approached, didn't mention range, standing up facing directly away, Ross says he pulled a Hornady solid from his belt and shot the bull in the seat of the pants, killing it instantly. Said the solid made a neat exit hole in the center of the chest, damaging neither meat nor cape. Never mentioned bullet weight on that Hornady solid but it was a heckuva good story written with finesse in classic Seyfried style.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 71 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.