Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob
It’s funny that the Lusitania was brought up. It is an example of how much history has been distorted to show a particular point of view. Conventional history tells us the the sinking of the Lusitania was a significant event in the turning of American public opinion towards war with Germany two years later, and in hindsight maybe it seemed that way. Yet, events of the time tell a little different story.

In 1916 the German merchant submarine the Deutschland made a trip to America. The crew were greeted like conquering heroes. They were given parades, the captain made speeches all over, the crew basically didn’t have to buy a drink the entire time they were here, and they got a rousing sendoff from docks lined with spectators and we’ll wisheres when they left. The captain almost had a diner at the Whitehouse that only got scrubbed after protests from British and French officials.

And all of this happened less than a year after Americans were outraged by German submarine warfare and the alleged turning of public opinion against them.
I've got a whole series of books by Time-Life on the "Civil War" that my Mom and Dad got me when I was a kid. They told me all about it to the point where I'm highly educated about that particular historical event...I mean, I know exactly what happened in all the definitive moments.

I know all about it because I read it in those books.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
It’s funny that the Lusitania was brought up. It is an example of how much history has been distorted to show a particular point of view. Conventional history tells us the the sinking of the Lusitania was a significant event in the turning of American public opinion towards war with Germany two years later, and in hindsight maybe it seemed that way. Yet, events of the time tell a little different story.

In 1916 the German merchant submarine the Deutschland made a trip to America. The crew were greeted like conquering heroes. They were given parades, the captain made speeches all over, the crew basically didn’t have to buy a drink the entire time they were here, and they got a rousing sendoff from docks lined with spectators and we’ll wisheres when they left. The captain almost had a diner at the Whitehouse that only got scrubbed after protests from British and French officials.

And all of this happened less than a year after Americans were outraged by German submarine warfare and the alleged turning of public opinion against them.
I've got a whole series of books by Time-Life on the "Civil War" that my Mom and Dad got me when I was a kid. They told me all about it to the point where I'm highly educated about that particular historical event...I mean, I know exactly what happened in all the definitive moments.

Exactly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

You have made a painful point...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by deflave
But you can tell the weak minded because they will take a theory, and tell everyone it is FACT.

9 minutes later:

I don't know what happened in this instance because I wasn't there, but I have very little doubt some of those bikes were in the wrong lane.

LOL. Smack! grin

It's called experience.

Something you two are very light on.

Regardless of subject.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
History is fascinating and how it is distorted to fit facts. Take the Civil War for example. History tells us that the South was dependent on an economic model of agriculture with slaves while the north had those ingenious Yankees who figured out all sorts of neat industrial tricks and built factories and the like. Obviously, because they were smarter and more industrious.

But do you ever see it questioned as to why it was that way? What was the primary method of powering any machinery before steam took over? Well, water of course. And how was that accomplished? Water wheels of course. And what kinds of waterwheels were there? Well there were various kinds but for a big part of the time, there were two main types. There was the undershot wheel, one powered by water running through the bottom of the wheel. And there was the overshot wheel, water traveling over the top of the wheel. The overshot wheel was 90 to 95% efficient and could be adapted to run factories and the like, while the undershot wheel was 60 to 65% efficient and could only power smaller grinding mills and the like.

So, given that disparity, why would anyone ever build an undershot wheel. Well, geography, of course. Overshot wheels needed faster moving streams and since you can’t run water up hill unless you started it on a bigger hill first, big changes in elevation. So, you had to build your factories in places where you had fast streams. But, of course, in the days before railroads and good roads, water was also the way to transport things, so you needed easy access to navigatable water to ship the things you built in your factory.

So, with all that in mind, what did rivers and streams look like in places like Massachusetts and Connecticut where the earliest factories in the US were built? What did they look like in the entire South near the coast? In the early 19th century slow sluggish rivers found across the coastal South, did not lend themselves to industry because it did not have suitable power sources for overshot waterwheels close to the coast and transportation. While in the north, the coastal areas were close to exactly the kinds of streams needed for industry. The US firearms industry was the first industry to adopt mass production methods and it is no coincidence that many gun companies are still, or have been until very recently, based in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York.

It wasn’t until somewhere around 1876 that a steam engine with the necessary gearing and clutch assemblies was developed that could power entire factories from belts was developed.

Before the advent of modern power sources, geography controlled much much more than it does now. So much so, that our modern minds have forgotten things that people once took for granted and it obscures our insights into their thoughts and motives.

Last edited by JoeBob; 06/23/19.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

It's called experience.

What experience?

All I can see from you is someone in their early 40's who spends his days being a dog pekker gnat on an internet forum.

You're too young to not have a life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And they're both wrong, to boot. Nothing in Deflave's second statement there was presented as fact.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's called experience.

Of course. It's different, when *you* do it.

Cause you know everthing.

The new 4ager.

Ten threads on the page, you'll get some 4aflave on 9 of em.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aliens want to see more skin.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bristoe

It's called experience.

What experience?

All I can see from you is someone in their early 40's who spends his days being a dog pekker gnat on an internet forum.

You're too young to not have a life.

I had more life experience at 23 than you'll have in your grave.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's called experience.

The new 4ager.

I'm way better looking than 4ager.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
And they're both wrong, to boot. Nothing in Deflave's second statement there was presented as fact.

Well, you know.

Reading and all that. Some struggle.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
History is fascinating and how it is distorted to fit facts. Take the Civil War for example. History tells us that the South was dependent on an economic model of agriculture with slaves while the north had those ingenious Yankees who figured out all sorts of neat industrial tricks and built factories and the like. Obviously, because they were smarter and more industrious.

But do you ever see it questioned as to why it was that way? What was the primary method of powering any machinery before steam took over? Well, water of course. And how was that accomplished? Water wheels of course. And what kinds of waterwheels were there? Well there were various kinds but for a big part of the time, there were two main types. There was the undershot wheel, one powered by water running through the bottom of the wheel. And there was the overshot wheel, water traveling over the top of the wheel. The overshot wheel was 90 to 95% efficient and could be adapted to run factories and the like, while the undershot wheel was 60 to 65% efficient and could only power smaller grinding mills and the like.

So, given that disparity, why would anyone ever build an undershot wheel. Well, geography, of course. Overshot wheels needed faster moving streams and since you can’t run water up hill unless you started it on a bigger hill first, big changes in elevation. So, you had to build your factories in places where you had fast streams. But, of course, in the days before railroads and good roads, water was also the way to transport things, so you needed easy access to navigatable water to ship the things you built in your factory.

So, with all that in mind, what did rivers and streams look like in places like Massachusetts and Connecticut where the earliest factories in the US were built? What did they look like in the entire South near the coast? In the early 19th century slow sluggish rivers found across the coastal South, did not lend themselves to industry because it did not have suitable power sources for overshot waterwheels close to the coast and transportation. While in the north, the coastal areas were close to exactly the kinds of streams needed for industry. The US firearms industry was the first industry to adopt mass production methods and it is no coincidence that many gun companies are still, or have been until very recently, based in Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York.

It wasn’t until somewhere around 1876 that a steam engine with the necessary gearing and clutch assemblies was developed that could power entire factories from belts was developed.

Before the advent of modern power sources, geography controlled much much more than it does now. So much so, that our modern minds have forgotten things that people once took for granted and it obscures our insights into their thoughts and motives.

Plus they were from the south.

I mean... who couldn't whip the south's ass?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's called experience.

The new 4ager.

You've become what you once ridiculed.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's called experience.

The new 4ager.

You've become what you once ridiculed.

Charming?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Annoying southerner?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

In 1916 the German merchant submarine the Deutschland made a trip to America. The crew were greeted like conquering heroes. They were given parades, the captain made speeches all over, the crew basically didn’t have to buy a drink the entire time they were here, and they got a rousing sendoff from docks lined with spectators and well wisheres when they left. The captain almost had a diner at the Whitehouse that only got scrubbed after protests from British and French officials.

Makes perfect sense as the majority ethnic group in the US was and still is of German ancestry. Although there were many anti-German protests after the Lusitania's sinking and the US entered the war, the pro German movement in this country remained strong all the way up to WWII and as you probably know, many returned to the Reich before 1942.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by jorgeI
.. SHE WAS NOT, NOT carrying munitions. NONE.

The official cargo manifest declared some type of small munitions and artillery fuses

and shortly after the sinking it was revealed that onboard were undeclared consignments
of munitions related components, ...A large consignment of cellulose/guncotton, and a
combustible alumimium based ingredient used in the manufacture of propellant for artillery.

the original ship manifest, showed 1, 271 cases of ammunition were actually '1,248 cases of shrapnel'
The 1,248 cases of shrapnel came from the Bethlehem Steel Corporation, and their shipping note was a little more specific
than the ship's cargo manifest.

The shipping note, dated 28 April 1915, shows 'consignment number 23' as being '1,248 cases of three-inch calibre shrapnel shells,
filled; four shells to each case'.

It is important to properly understand the difference between a shell and a complete round of munition.
technically the Lusitania was not carrying complete rounds.
The shell, or more properly, 'projectile', weighed 12.5 pounds and contained 234 lead musket balls, forty-one of which combined to
weigh one pound, which were suspended in resin. The projectile itself contained only a small 'burster' charge, designed to discharge
the shrapnel balls in flight.

The fuses carried in eighteen cases as cargo aboard the Lusitania were far from complete fuses and formed part of a mixed
consignment of percussionfuse mechanisms for the British Army's 4.5-inch and 6-inch calibre high explosive shells, and the
13-pounder shrapnel shell. Despite being incomplete, they did contain a small quantity of explosive, which is why all eighteen
cases were stored in the ship's magazine, aft.

Your source: link

But it does still beg the questions, would the Germans have torpedoed her anyway? (impossible to know, but suffice to say, it would have been almost impossible for that U boat Commander not to recognize the ship) and secondly, HOW did the Germans know she was carrying munitions. Lastly, the German tactic of UNRESTRICTED submarine warfare makes the issue moot. Lastly, the ship's speed and the coal bunker detonation remains valid, as according to that article and others, the munitions found were intact. And yes I was wrong.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Germans likely would never have resorted to unrestricted submarine warfare but for British treachery, specifically Winston Churchill. At the beginning of the war German submarines would stop British merchant ships offload the crew into boats, and then sink it with a deck gun. Churchill came up with the bright idea of Q ships. They armed ships disguised as merchant ships. As soon as the submarine would surface to board the suspect merchant ship, it would drop the covers on the deck guns and sink the submarine. It was expressly against the rules of war, but to Churchill that didn’t matter. After a few winnings, the Germans decided that they could no longer afford to stop a merchant ship and board it, but instead they were forced to sink them without warning.

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Germans likely would never have resorted to unrestricted submarine warfare but for British treachery, specifically Winston Churchill. At the beginning of the war German submarines would stop British merchant ships offload the crew into boats, and then sink it with a deck gun. Churchill came up with the bright idea of Q ships. They armed ships disguised as merchant ships. As soon as the submarine would surface to board the suspect merchant ship, it would drop the covers on the deck guns and sink the submarine. It was expressly against the rules of war, but to Churchill that didn’t matter. After a few winnings, the Germans decided that they could no longer afford to stop a merchant ship and board it, but instead they were forced to sink them without warning.

A stretch in my opinion..The facts are from day one of WWI, not a single merchant ship was able to reach Germany. They just got desperate in an attempt to stop the strangulation by the RN. Churchill was out of business by 1915 after he was wrongfully blamed for Gallipoli (the Imperial General Staff waited too long, had they struck when Churchill wanted, things might have gone differently)

one of many links

Last edited by jorgeI; 06/23/19.

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.