Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Judging by the threads I posted, a great number of people have a problem with pull throughs, including our esteemed resident gunsmith, Redneck.

Judging by the threads you've posted, the only problem seems to be with the individuals trying to use them. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Glad to hear you're perfect.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Yukoner
My pull-throughs are made from a piece of old cotton wash cloth or dish rag fastened in the middle of a six foot length of 40-50 pound monofilament with a tightened clove hitch.

If it gets stuck, which it never does, you can simply pull it back the other direction.

They never break, are cheap enough to carry one in every piece of hunting gear, and you won't even know you have it in your pocket.

Best of all, in a pinch it can be used with a large single hook for pike. smile

Ted

There is a company that sells a similar product. Patchworm.

It's a heavier, green nylon. One end is sharpened. The other end holds different diameters of circular nylon stops that you slide on. These are for the patch to rest against when you pull them through the bore. These different nylon stops correspond to the diameter of the bore. I have used it, but when pulling it through the barrel, the nylon tends to bite into your hand.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Yukoner
My pull-throughs are made from a piece of old cotton wash cloth or dish rag fastened in the middle of a six foot length of 40-50 pound monofilament with a tightened clove hitch.

If it gets stuck, which it never does, you can simply pull it back the other direction.

They never break, are cheap enough to carry one in every piece of hunting gear, and you won't even know you have it in your pocket.

Best of all, in a pinch it can be used with a large single hook for pike. smile

Ted

Happy Birthday, Ted!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
So I broke in all 4 sizes now. They worked slick as snot. I was worried about the little 17 and having it bite into my fingers, but it was not different than the others.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I keep a properly sized bore snake in my pack. I will run it through on a regular basis on hunts.
I don't see a downside. It does save a bore blockage issue which can be serious.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A cleaning rod does a lot better job on a bore blockage.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by comerade
I keep a properly sized bore snake in my pack. I will run it through on a regular basis on hunts.
I don't see a downside. It does save a bore blockage issue which can be serious.

That's true. Especially when you are away from home.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Steve, I carry a 4 piece brass screw together rod and cleaning kit in case I trip and stick the muzzle in the dirt, caned air is in the kit also. The little screw together rod kit was made by outers. It is actually pretty nice if you carry the solvents, patches, and brushes needed.

When you talk about bore snakes away from home use, MANY will only use the bore snake period and call it good. Many others will never clean their rifles, my dad being one of them...never owned a gun case either.

I think that the bore snakes were made to appeal to types that just hate cleaning guns, like my dad Who shot deer in the ass, shot legs off, gut shot, what ever.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
There will always be shooters who don't clean their firearms. It would be unfair to blame a bore snake for that.

The military used to issue them here, and other countries as well. They were designed to keep the crud to a minimum, not as a substutute for cleaning rods. They were small, light and easy to use.

When you had the time, you stripped your rifle, cleaned the various parts, etc. with brushes, oil, patches and a rod. They have never been advertised or promoted as a way to get out of a proper cleaning.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 204guy, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,683
Posts18,493,925
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.