Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by rickt300

Ask anyone using advanced math in engineering which is still generally dominated by the inch

I did two years of it, and it had about as much to do with inches (or for that matter, metres) as duck feathers have to do with philosophy.

as is reloading.

57.5 grains of IMR 4350 equals 3.725 grams. Now having never seen a reloading scale in grams though I believe they exist which would you rather measure out on a beam balance scale? I admit the electronic scales would solve any issues but still you are looking at 4 numbers and a decimal point instead of three.

The fourth significant figure on your measurement in grams would mean that it is theoretically to a greater degree of precision. However, the typical beam balance is not actually capable of that level of precision, so it is rather spurious. Render it as 3.73 g and you are within a margin less than the resolution of a typical reloader's scale of your 57.5 gn. FWIW I throw all of my charges anyway, and use a metric measurement. It works.

In my experience "thrown" measurements are acceptable at + or - 3 tenths of a grain. A good beam scale is certainly capable of better than that especially with stick propellants like any of the 4350's. I also use thrown/dipped charges with powders like IMR 4227 or BLC-2 but not 3031, 4350 or Reloader 22 type powders. The fourth figure is there virtually on all measurements with metric other than the exactly even ones. It occurs to me that I have seen metric data in the LEE Manual describing the use of their dippers. I dump the dipper into a scale and measure it out from there if I need precision.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Elvis
But the US chose the metric system for your currency. One hundred cents make a dollar. It can't be too bad then.

Who would want to go back to 12 pennies make a shilling and 20 shillings make a pound and 21 shillings make a guinea? Not likely.

The inch in the Imperial system is based on 10 so the 12 in the foot is based on inches which are based on the number 10.

That said I felt my earlier comment was unkind and unnecessary , I apologize.

Last edited by rickt300; 06/24/19.

Dog I rescued in January

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They almost got the imperial system correct: 1 MOA = 1.047 inch.

So what's the end result? Did we all agree that the metric system was the better way to go?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

So what's the end result? Did we all agree that the metric system was the better way to go?

Hell no because it is not, think about it no fractions and too many figures.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I still think in a mixture of Imperial and metric.

Weight in kg, speed in km/h but often mentally convert to mph, heights in feet and inches.

When I worked in oil exploration we would sometimes get a client that wanted all measurements in metric, so converted joints to m, gph, Barrels etc.

Trouble is, it was all USA not imperial, to metric. Here in Aus we were Imperial, but rigs were US. So short gallons, tons etc.

Didn’t the ship the USA metric rod get pirated to the Caribbean during the 19th century, and that’s why the USA didn’t go metric early on?

Last edited by rockdoc; 06/24/19.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

The inch in the Imperial system is based on 10 so the 12 in the foot is based on inches which are based on the number 10.

Not sure what you are trying to say there. A little reading on Wiki finds the following about an inch.

An Anglo-Saxon unit of length was the barleycorn. After 1066, 1 inch was equal to 3 barleycorns, which continued to be its legal definition for several centuries, with the barleycorn being the base unit.[14] One of the earliest such definitions is that of 1324, where the legal definition of the inch was set out in a statute of Edward II of England, defining it as "three grains of barley, dry and round, placed end to end, lengthwise".

and

In 1930, the British Standards Institution adopted an inch of exactly 25.4 mm. The American Standards Association followed suit in 1933. By 1935, industry in 16 countries had adopted the "industrial inch" as it came to be known.

As to CNC's: an inch based system typically has a resolution of .0001" as you mentioned. A metric system is typically .001mm. So which one is higher resolution?

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
I learned the conversion factors in high school more than 60 years ago, and dealing with metric weights and measures has really never been a problem. When pocket calculators came along, the results were both quicker and more accurate. Now we have calculators on our "smart phones." I don't understand the anxiety and resentment.

+1`

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
.001mm measures .000025 of an inch, or 25 millionths of an inch, also called a micron. To get a surface finish near a 25th of a 10 thousandth, or .000025 of an inch we would have to send the part out to grind as the surface finish on the part after machining in a lathe would be too rough to measure a micron. In fact I have no idea how you would measure a micron in a machine shop. That said I have never seen the micron symbol on a CNC lathe set to the metric measure. This illustrates the out of sync dimensions of metric. The micron being too small, the millimeter being too large so you have to break it down, the centimeter a semi useful measurement and the meter virtually never used. So yes a micron is smaller than .0001. That said if the machine can measure precisely enough for microns it can also measure .00001, however how a shop would measure the finished part to that tolerance I have no idea.

Last edited by rickt300; 06/24/19.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Prwlr
I learned the conversion factors in high school more than 60 years ago, and dealing with metric weights and measures has really never been a problem. When pocket calculators came along, the results were both quicker and more accurate. Now we have calculators on our "smart phones." I don't understand the anxiety and resentment.

+1`

Just try to use your smart phone to add and subtract numbers over 6 figures! Rest assured you have to know how to use a calculator and the calculator has to be up to the task. Most phone calculators are just for dummies to check out their bank accounts.

Dog I rescued in January

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Why is MOA 1.047? Who in their right mind would have done that?

Dog I rescued in January

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
.001mm measures .000025 of an inch, or 25 millionths of an inch, also called a micron. .

Actually it doesn't. 0.001 mm is close to.00004".

Perhaps your problem is simply that the metric measures are simply unfamiliar?

We had a bit of that when metrication was introduced here. I was at school at the time, and so learned both systems, and so I don't have any difficulty with either of them. Metric is a great deal simpler though, especially when everything (or nearly everything) is metric and you don't have to worry about conversions any more. I can say that machinists here have no difficulty programming CNC machines in metric.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Prwlr

+1`

Just try to use your smart phone to add and subtract numbers over 6 figures! Rest assured you have to know how to use a calculator and the calculator has to be up to the task. Most phone calculators are just for dummies to check out their bank accounts.

My phone will do fine with up to 9 figures. There again it is easy enough to use a pencil and paper for addition and subtraction.

Of course, the point's a bit moot really. How often do you really need to do those 6+ figure calculations manually at all?

Last edited by dan_oz; 06/24/19.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

The Sumerians? Hipparchus of Nicaea?

You do realise that it is a subtension of an angle?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

A clear indication you don't know what a minute of angle is.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I prescribe 10ccs of metrication. Stat!

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya, I think I rest my case !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dan_oz
[quote=rickt300].001mm measures .000025 of an inch, or 25 millionths of an inch, also called a micron. .

Actually it doesn't. 0.001 mm is close to.00004".

It is a good thing you don't have to measure parts to that close a tolerance!

Well in reality 1 millionth of a meter comes out as .0000393, a micron measured by the inch comes out as .0000254

Perhaps your problem is simply that the metric measures are simply unfamiliar?

Sadly not true!

We had a bit of that when metrication was introduced here. I was at school at the time, and so learned both systems, and so I don't have any difficulty with either of them. Metric is a great deal simpler though, especially when everything (or nearly everything) is metric and you don't have to worry about conversions any more. I can say that machinists here have no difficulty programming CNC machines in metric.

I only said it takes longer even without the conversion factor. Added figures do not make punching keys less often.

Last edited by rickt300; 06/25/19.

Dog I rescued in January

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

It is a good thing you don't have to measure parts to that close a tolerance!

Well in reality 1 millionth of a meter comes out as .0000393, a micron measured by the inch comes out as .0000254

Actually I have personally measured down to +/- less than a micron, and I have seen measurements performed to a higher degree of precision than that. You on the other hand have already said that you have no idea how you'd measure to those sorts of levels of precision, which rather makes a nonsense of your assertion:

.001mm measures .000025 of an inch, or 25 millionths of an inch, also called a micron. To get a surface finish near a 25th of a 10 thousandth, or .000025 of an inch we would have to send the part out to grind as the surface finish on the part after machining in a lathe would be too rough to measure a micron. In fact I have no idea how you would measure a micron in a machine shop. That said I have never seen the micron symbol on a CNC lathe set to the metric measure. This illustrates the out of sync dimensions of metric. The micron being too small, the millimeter being too large so you have to break it down, the centimeter a semi useful measurement and the meter virtually never used. So yes a micron is smaller than .0001. That said if the machine can measure precisely enough for microns it can also measure .00001, however how a shop would measure the finished part to that tolerance I have no idea.

Your assertion that 0.001 mm is not "close to .00004" but rather is .0000393" is a good example of false precision, or spurious precision, and it isn't the first example in your reasoning. Each of .001 mm and .00004" has one significant figure. They are an "apples to apples" comparison, where .001 vs .0000393" is not. .Another way of putting it is that if the best you can measure to is a hundred thousandth of an inch, it is spurious to report to a ten millionth, and nonsense to argue that 7 ten millionths makes any sort of difference. .

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 16gage, 64 invisible), 3,013 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.