Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Please don't mention any names ending in "stein", "witz", "berg" and such and we can probably make for a good discussion...
I just don't trust Patton because he wore a SAA instead of a 1911. Then again he did shoot down that airplane with a 1911 in the movie so I guess he's okay.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Please don't mention any names ending in "stein", "witz", "berg" and such and we can probably make for a good discussion...
I just don't trust Patton because he wore a SAA instead of a 1911. Then again he did shoot down that airplane with a 1911 in the movie so I guess he's okay.

I think he shot at an airplane in the movie, but didn't shoot it down.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

That was an '03 Hammerless.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

EL CORRECTO, but he didn't shoot it down...

Last edited by jorgeI; 06/26/19.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember watching that movie “Brass Target” as a kid and the only thing I remember about it was a specially designed airgun that broke Patton’s neck. So, I find that part of the story on Target Patton to be suspect.

Like I said, it’s really a lot more interesting in describing the conditions over there at the immediate end of the war than anything.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I didn't want to give two corrections in one post.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
JoeBob Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I think it was this book that said that the reason he carried SAA instead of a 1911 was because of a negligent discharge he had in a Mexican saloon while carrying a 1911 in his belt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I didn't want to give two corrections in one post.
How very Goy of you.... smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skip to 2:00 for the anti-aircraft portion.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by JoeBob
I remember watching that movie “Brass Target” as a kid and the only thing I remember about it was a specially designed airgun that broke Patton’s neck. So, I find that part of the story on Target Patton to be suspect.

Like I said, it’s really a lot more interesting in describing the conditions over there at the immediate end of the war than anything.

The Death of General George S. PattonBy Peter J. K. Hendrikx

[Excerpted from http://www.heroesatmargraten.com/the-death-of-general-george-s-patton.html ]

...Fromthe day Patton died in 1945 until thirty years later,nobody seriously discussed that a conspiracy lay behind hisdeath. This idea sounded intriguing to Frederick Nolan, a British author who had signed a contract to write eight full length thrillers in a year. In 1974, within six weeks, Nolan finished his first fiction, titled “The Oshawa Project,”published a year later in the U.S. under the title of “The Algonquin Project.” It was a quick job, very “seventies,”along the storyline of Frederick Forsyth’s “Day of the Jackal.”He did no research whatsoever, let alone interview Patton’s passengers General Gay and Woodring. According to his website, “what you write doesn’t matter, only how good it is.”And even though the book was obviously a fiction about a murder plot of a fictional general, the illustration on the cover of Patton and the many similarities in the text with Patton must have planted the seed about the possibility of a plot. And its commercial potential. With the success of the Hollywood movie “Patton” in the back of their minds, MGM bought the rights to turn Nolan’s thriller into a movie. To Nolan’s chagrin, the MGM scriptwriter took the Nazi gold story from Nolan’s other fiction, “The Mittenwald Syndicate,”and mixed it with the murder plot story. Released in December 1978under the title “Brass Target,”the movie was poor at best. Nolan himself speculates that was the reason why none of the stars joined the promotion tour. At the last minute he and Woodring were asked to do the nationwide promotion instead. Woodring went alongto tell the truth about Patton’sdeath: it was an accident pure and simple, said Woodring; “My purpose was to set the record straight. The movie certainly didn’t.”But Nolan’s stance changed from a fictional story into “maybe it was, maybe it wasn’t.”It was a cynical exploitation to sell the movie to the audience at the expense of historical accuracy. Here, by mixing the storylines of two fictional thrillers into amovie, is the birth of a conspiracy theory that lasts until today.Since then, manyothers have jumped on theconspiracybandwagon...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hope you haven't stirred up the "fringe' but there is enough circumstances and happenstance to ponder. Given the above, I would not be surprised if the Russians did it, but given their style, a car wreck seems way to amateurish and leaves a lot to chance.

The author actually addressed that and car wrecks were one of Stalin's favorite ploys. He had half a dozen or so documented instances where car wrecks were used by the NKVD.

But according to the former OSS agent who confessed to the author, the staged wreck was just a pretense to get Patton stopped where he could be shot with a specially made spring piston airgun that launched a flat piece of metal and was only accurate at across the room distances. That broke his neck and then he was poisoned in the hospital two weeks later as he was about to be released.

I remain unconvinced about the actual alleged murder, though it is full of conflicting witnesses statements, disappearing witnesses, and most strangely if you know the Army’s obsession with triplicate forms for everything and considering that two MPs were on the scene within minutes if not seconds, NO OFFICIAL ACCIDENT REPORT. It appears one may have been done as it was referenced, but no one has ever found it. And it is pretty clear that Patton himself had been warned of murder plots.

But it is an eye opener as to what was actually going on over there and how compromised all the higher ups were. They almost all seem to have been Soviet agents themselves, or willing to ignore any provocation in the name of good relations.
But hey, you know, this goes against Ocham's Razor or whatnot. Maybe it fits in the Bell Curve or could be tested with the Scientific Method. What does Snopes say?

lol

Yes, by all means, we must consult Snopes on the matter, LOL.

Snopes. Commie evaluator of all things.

LMAO.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think it was this book that said that the reason he carried SAA instead of a 1911 was because of a negligent discharge he had in a Mexican saloon while carrying a 1911 in his belt.

He carried just about everything. But the SAA and his registered magnum were his signature guns.

He had two SAA's at one time but gifted one of the set.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

He carried just about everything. But the SAA and his registered magnum were his signature guns.

He had two SAA's at one time but gifted one of the set.
He kilt a Messican down there when he was with Pershing and was just a loot. Used an SAA IIRC.

Them dudes in The Wild Bunch put the 1911's to good use. They seemed to favor the 1897 Winchester riot guns also. That Heneral just liked a butcher knife though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Uncle served under Patton during the Battle of the Bugle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by colorado bob
My Uncle served under Patton during the Battle of the Bugle.
One of my Uncles crossed the Rhine with him.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (12344mag, 160user, 22kHornet, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 45 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,091
Posts18,501,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.