Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 79 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 78 79
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[/quote]Having Christ quote many scriptures from a book would or should be enough reason to research I would think.[quote]

I'm not aware of numerous quotations from the Book of Enoch by Christ.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
What you are looks very much like a corporate institutional programming. Many of the early church fathers recognized that those books should be included with the 66 books. And Enoch was at the forefront. Is it not written in the book of ____ , would that not be the same as, it is written? Having Christ quote many scriptures from a book would or should be enough reason to research I would think.

So if Enoch is at the forefront of your position, let's consider it:
And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

This is the one reference to Enoch's prophecies in the Bible. Now let's keep in mind that neither Enoch nor his contemporaries had alphabetic writing and so his prophecies would not have been recorded in a book that he wrote. This was an oral prophecy that was preserved by tradition among the Jews. The Jews never recognized a book of Enoch in their canon. Jude does not reference any "book of Enoch" but rather an oral tradition that recorded a prophecy of Enoch that was accurate. Moses wrote the first books of the Bible and included a narrative about Enoch but did not make any mention of a collection his prophecies or writings (hieroglyphics). Every early Bible character is recorded by Moses along with their sayings that became part of the Biblical record. What Jude is trying to establish is, not that Enoch's prophecies should be in the inspired canon, but rather just like Enoch foresaw the judgment of God coming upon the wicked--first in the flood and then at the end of the world, likewise Jude is also bearing witness to the same message. Jude is saying there is a consistent testimony from the advent of evil to the end of the age that wickedness will be ultimately judged by God. Jude is confirming the truth of Enoch's oral prophecy that was preserved.

Jesus confirmed the the extent of the OT canon of the Hebrew Tanakh, as I previously explained. Paul in Romans also indicates that to the Jews were committed the oracles of God. So the NT affirms the OT Jewish Tanakh as the OT canon as preserved by the Jews. The OT canon was settled before Jesus even came to earth. He said that every jot and tittle of it would be fulfilled--this is a clear reference to the Hebrew canon as the Greek alphabet does not have jots or tittles.

Next I want to note the Biblical principle that the truth of the Lord endures to all generations (Psa 100:5) The text of Enoch, though cited from throughout history has been lost to most of the Christian world for centuries at a time whereas the Biblical canon has always been preserved for every generation according to God's promise. The canonical books have never disappeared from human history.

Next I want to note that the Bible's quotation of Enoch's prophecy is not the same as the writings in the alleged book of Enoch.

Enoch 1:9
. . . Behold, he will arrive with ten million of the holy ones in order to execute judgment upon all. He will destroy the wicked ones and censure all flesh on account of everything that they have done, that which the sinners and the wicked ones committed against him.

The Bible says to "execute judgment and convince/convict" ... the book of Enoch says "destroy" ... while the meaning is similar the wording is clearly different, indicating that Jude was quoting from an original prophecy and not the book of Enoch per se. In the NT quotes of the OT there is some variation also, but if the NT citation is not following the Hebrew text it is following the Greek Septuagint text.
There are other significant differences such as where Jude says, “harsh things/hard speeches” but Enoch does not. Jude says, “spoken against” but Enoch says, “committed against him.” A comparison of the two passages from Greek texts reveal that the Greek text of Jude has 29 words but the text of the book of Enoch as translated by R. H. Charles has 36 words.

The Book of Enoch also fails the doctrinal truth test of Scripture:
A major theme in 1 Enoch is sinful angels taking human wives (e.g., 1 Enoch 6:2, 7:1, 12:4, 106:14, etc.). This is in direct contradiction to the words of the Word, Jesus Christ, who in Matthew 22:29-30, Jesus said, “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God…they neither marry nor are given in marriage…like the angels…” (see also Mark 12:24-25, Luke 20:34-36). The "sons of God" in Genesis 6 are not fallen angles, because fallen angels are never referred to in Scripture as "sons of God" but rather demons.

Another consideration is that some of the observed narratives actually occur after the life of Enoch--meaning Enoch could not have been the author of those narratives. For example, Abraham did not write his own narratives in Genesis, but rather Moses did later as they were preserved by oral traditions. Therefore Enoch could not have been the author of this whole book which as a book was of much later origins than Enoch. Jude simply quotes a real saying of Enoch as originally prophesied and preserved by Jewish tradition and is not endorsing the book of Enoch.

Finally I will note, that although this book in some form was cited and and revered by some early Church writers, it was not included in any Jewish canon or any widely recognized Christian Bible. It is largely the Ethiopian church which have canonized this book on their own.

I'm hoping you reread this, ........seriously.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Having Christ quote many scriptures from a book would or should be enough reason to research I would think.

I'm not aware of numerous quotations from the Book of Enoch by Christ.

Didn't read what I posted nor have you read the Book.

As for the validity of the Jews and their book, which jews are you talking about? It was the Jews I did some research with that led me to Enoch in the first place. They were quite adamant in their belief of the Book of Enoch along with the others.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
On the positive side I should make a few comments:
1. It seems as though a prophecy from Enoch was preserved by Jewish tradition which was cited by the Scriptures as the 7th man from Adam. It also seems apparent that some late BC Jewish writer/writers developed a book/books around some of the preserved prophecies of Enoch so that is is impossible now to determine which parts may have been original with Enoch and which parts are interpolations. However the author was recognized as Jewish by both Jews and the early Christians.

2. The book of Enoch, along with many other of the Greek Apocryphal books were a great source of Jewish history in the ancient world. The Jews were scattered in diaspora and these books were cherished as testimonies of their people who still lived in Palestine. Therefore some of these Books the Jews appended to their Septuagint translations of the OT.

3. Since these books were written by Jewish authors and they interpreted OT prophetic Scriptures in a way that anticipated the NT record, they were of great value to the early Christians as apologetic tools. For example the Septuagint said that Messiah would be born of a virgin illustrating His deity and the Book of Enoch says,

There I beheld the Ancient of days, whose head was like white wool, and with him another, whose countenance resembled that of man. His countenance was full of grace, like that of one of the holy angels. Then I inquired of one of the angels, who went with me, and who showed me every secret thing, concerning this Son of man; who he was; whence he was; and why he accompanied the Ancient of days.

When they could quote Jewish writings to unbelieving Jews and show how their OT scriptures and other writings correctly identify Christ as deity--this leaves the Jews in a very awkward position to defend their unbelief. They had to invent new interpretations of OT passages in order to justify their rejection of the deity and Messianic role of Christ.

These were some of the reasons why "some" early Church leaders thought these books should be included in the canon. In the end the Church discerned what Christ had already revealed in His Gospel teachings, that the canon was already defined by the Tanakh. The Church merely agreed with Christ in this discernment. The extent of the NT Scriptures was never in any serious question.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Didn't read what I posted nor have you read the Book.

As for the validity of the Jews and their book, which jews are you talking about? It was the Jews I did some research with that led me to Enoch in the first place. They were quite adamant in their belief of the Book of Enoch along with the others.

Sir I did my own study first hand from the Book of Enoch and stand by my statements. Show me otherwise if you want to.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knew nothing of the Book of Enoch so did a little research. Horny angels jumping human women sounds interesting. Particularly since angels not being native to our universe, having no physical presence, should be nonsexual. And them hungry giants!

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What a lot of this comes down to is many skeptics are not fully cognizant of the salient facts of church history and the typical skeptical arguments that were already thoroughly answered in the first few centuries AD. Instead they Google websites of Skeptic's Bibles and arguments that largely illustrate the ignorance of their authors to both ancient church, world history, and Biblical texts within their context. Since most of the public has little interest in tedious research or having any moral restraints, they latch on to these canned arguments already made that sound convincing and use them to justify the course of action they have already chosen for their lives. Additionally the liberal college professors are very much in vogue to propagate these unfounded theories.
Two examples are:
1. The council of Nicaea determined the canon. It was not even discussed at Nicaea as a item of business.
2. The virgin birth/deity of Christ was an invention of the later councils of the Nicene Church. The ante-Nicene Church prolifically wrote about this doctrine as a fundamental test of faith.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 06/28/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
True enough, I did the minimum of research, but I have scads of biblical scholars and theologians to fall back on. But the angel and giant stuff stopped me cold. Not that other parts of the book may not be worthwhile.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not accepting the authenticity of the Book of Enoch as being authored by Enoch

Last edited by Thunderstick; 06/28/19.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Knew nothing of the Book of Enoch so did a little research. Horny angels jumping human women sounds interesting. Particularly since angels not being native to our universe, having no physical presence, should be nonsexual. And them hungry giants!

Here's an interesting story..........................

Genesis 6 King James Version (KJV)
6 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

and we certainly wouldn't want to forget about these..............................

Numbers 13:33
2 Samuel 21:20
Isaiah 26:14
Deuteronomy 3:11
Amos 2:9
Deuteronomy 2:10
2 Peter 2:4
Jude 1:6

IC B3

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by nighthawk

Here's an interesting story..........................

Genesis 6 King James Version (KJV)
6 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

3 And the Lord said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

and we certainly wouldn't want to forget about these..............................

Numbers 13:33
2 Samuel 21:20
Isaiah 26:14
Deuteronomy 3:11
Amos 2:9
Deuteronomy 2:10
2 Peter 2:4
Jude 1:6

it's all very exceedingly interesting on the face of it.

back in the day if the sons of god were in fact doing the daughters of men, if i was a son of man and there were beautiful daughters of god out and about surely i'd have a chance to cast a line? i mean, fair is fair, right?

but giants? a hybridization project that went awry? and god saved the most pure of the human genome in the form of noah & relationships?

it's kind of easy to ascertain that the early christian apologists wouldn't have wanted to bring in the enoch crowd of believers, but finally did consent to the various cults/monastery people of the desert to become affiliated with the mainstream church (catholic). they could remain orders, but couldn't breed, but alas at least a few did?

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

I suppose the above scripture doesn't count as "sons of God" having sex with humans. If not, what kind of exalting above God was Lucifer trying to do? Create trees maybe?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Remember the Book of Enoch was written after these books of the Bible so it is simply borrowing some concepts and then going off on a tangent. Further not one of these parallels are quoted by Christ as you mentioned earlier. And finally the Genesis account is not supporting the breeding of angels and humans. I already addressed that aspect.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
Atheism is neither a fixed position or a belief. It is a lack of conviction or belief in the existence of a God or gods based on a lack of evidence to support a justified conviction in their existence.....nobody argues over the existence of the World, the sun, stars, moon, etc.....it is about justification through evidence. Evidence is not something that this or that Holy Book happens to say is true.

This is erroneous simply because you are making a bold generalization. For some it is definitely a fixed position due to their nearly unshakable beliefs. They believe in spite of available information.

I'm not talking about how this or that person may see it, but the definition itself. The word 'Atheist' means 'absence of belief in God' so whatever additives some may happen to include are extraneous.

That's why there are distinctions of 'weak atheist' 'strong atheist' - the latter being more an ideology than simply atheism as a lack of conviction, as the word/term defines.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by K22

Genesis 6 (KJV)

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men,
and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

How did the translation end up as 'giants'..?...considering the orig. Hebrew word used was ~Nephilim~[literally meaning 'fallen ones']

but the Greek Septuagint rendered the said word as 'gigantes'

that greek choice of translation later adopted into the Latin Vulgate.

there are some 30 versions of English BIble that don't use the term giants, but rather the Hebrew; Nephilm ['fallen ones']

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by K22

Genesis 6 (KJV)

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men,
and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

How did the translation end up as 'giants'..?...considering the orig. Hebrew word used was ~Nephilim~[literally meaning 'fallen ones']

there are some 30 versions of English BIble that don't use the term giants, but rather the Hebrew; Nephilm ['fallen ones']

From Gills commentary

Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days
That is, in the days before the sons of God took the daughters of men for wives, in such a general manner as before declared, or before the declension and apostasy became so universal; even in the times of Jared, as the Arabic writers F14 understand it, who say that these giants were begotten on the daughters of Cain by the children of Seth, who went down from the mountain to them in the days of Jared, see ( Genesis 5:20 ) the word "Nephilim" comes from a word which signifies to fall; and these might be so called, either because they made their fear to fall upon men, or men, through fear, to fall before them, because of their height and strength; or rather because they fell and rushed on men with great violence, and oppressed them in a cruel and tyrannical manner; or, as some think, because they fell off and were apostates from the true religion, which is much better than to understand them of apostate angels, whom the Targum of Jonathan mentions by name, and calls them Schanchazai and Uziel, who fell from heaven, and were in the earth in those days: and also after that,
which shows that the preceding clause respects giants in former times, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men,
came into their houses and chambers, and lay with them: and they bare [children] unto them,
or giants unto them, as may be supplied from the former clause; for the sense is, as there were giants before this general defection, so there were at this time, when there was a mixture of the Cainites and Sethites; which were the offspring of the sons of God, or posterity of Seth, mixing with the daughters of men, or the posterity of Cain; for this is not to be understood after the flood, as Aben Ezra, Ben Melech; and so they are described in the following words, the same [became] mighty men;
for tallness and strength, for power and dominion, for tyranny and oppression: which [were] of old:
like those that were of old before; or who in after times were spoken of, as in the days of old: men of renown,
or "of name" F15; whose names were often made mention of, both for their size and for their wickedness; they were much talked of, and extolled for their exploits, and even wicked ones: they were famous men, or rather infamous; for some men get a name in the world, not for their goodness, but for their greatness, and sometimes for their great wickedness; which sense is countenanced by what follows: that there were giants in these early times is confirmed by the testimony of many Heathen writers; such were the Titans that made war against Saturn, begotten by Ouranus, who were not only of bulky bodies, but of invincible strength, as Apollodorus F16 relates, and Berosus F17 speaks of a city about Lebanon, called Enos, which was a city of giants, who were men of vast bodies, and of great strength, inventors of arms and music, were cannibals, and exceedingly debauched

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jahrs
... see ( Genesis 5:20 ) the word "Nephilim" comes from a word which signifies to fall; and these might be so called,
either because they made their fear to fall upon men, or men, through fear, to fall before them, because of their height and strength;
or rather because they fell and rushed on men with great violence, and oppressed them in a cruel and tyrannical manner; ...

so 'Giants' in the same way Hitler or Stalin have been called "monsters' [or Ogre?]
but to look at them or describe them physically , they would not appear like mythological childrens book monsters,
hence more likely the bIblical giants were also not true enormous physical stature beings[ as in highly exaggerated childrens book giants]

but I have no doubt some child brain christians would buy into the idea of Greek mythology type giants. or 'Gigantes'
being in the Bible....( .as I stated already , the Greek Septuagint translation of the Hebrew 'Nephiim', uses the word 'gigantes')

Greek mythology; THE GIGANTES were a tribe of a hundred giants born of the earth-goddess Gaia.
she was impregnated by the blood of the castrated sky-god Ouranos (Uranus).

At the urging of Gaia the Gigantes waged war on the gods and were destroyed in the ensuing battle.
The most famous of the combatants were Enkelados (Enceladus) who was buried by Athena beneath Mount Etna,
Polybotes who was crushed by an island cast by Poseidon, and Porphyrion who was slain by Zeus and Herakles
when he attempted to violate the goddess Hera.

The Giants were depicted as either spear-wielding hoplite warriors in armor or primitives clothed in animal-skins
and armed with rocks and flaming brands. In sculpture and mosaic art they were usually depicted with the tails of
serpents in place of legs.

The Gigantes might have represented the primitive tribes of Thrake (Thrace), north of Greece, whose barbarian culture
unfavorably contrasted with Greek civilisation. According to some, the Thrakians were born from the blood or ashes of
the vanquished giants.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jahrs
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by K22

Genesis 6 (KJV)

From Gills commentary

Genesis 6:4
There were giants in the earth in those days
That is, in the days before the sons of God took the daughters of men for wives, in such a general manner as before declared, or before the declension and apostasy became so universal; even in the times of Jared, as the Arabic writers F14 understand it, who say that these giants were begotten on the daughters of Cain by the children of Seth, who went down from the mountain to them in the days of Jared, see ( Genesis 5:20 ) the word "Nephilim" comes from a word which signifies to fall; and these might be so called, either because they made their fear to fall upon men, or men, through fear, to fall before them, because of their height and strength; or rather because they fell and rushed on men with great violence, and oppressed them in a cruel and tyrannical manner; or, as some think, because they fell off and were apostates from the true religion, which is much better than to understand them of apostate angels, whom the Targum of Jonathan mentions by name, and calls them Schanchazai and Uziel, who fell from heaven, and were in the earth in those days: and also after that,
which shows that the preceding clause respects giants in former times, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men,
came into their houses and chambers, and lay with them: and they bare [children] unto them,
or giants unto them, as may be supplied from the former clause; for the sense is, as there were giants before this general defection, so there were at this time, when there was a mixture of the Cainites and Sethites; which were the offspring of the sons of God, or posterity of Seth, mixing with the daughters of men, or the posterity of Cain; for this is not to be understood after the flood, as Aben Ezra, Ben Melech; and so they are described in the following words, the same [became] mighty men;
for tallness and strength, for power and dominion, for tyranny and oppression: which [were] of old:
like those that were of old before; or who in after times were spoken of, as in the days of old: men of renown,
or "of name" F15; whose names were often made mention of, both for their size and for their wickedness; they were much talked of, and extolled for their exploits, and even wicked ones: they were famous men, or rather infamous; for some men get a name in the world, not for their goodness, but for their greatness, and sometimes for their great wickedness; which sense is countenanced by what follows: that there were giants in these early times is confirmed by the testimony of many Heathen writers; such were the Titans that made war against Saturn, begotten by Ouranus, who were not only of bulky bodies, but of invincible strength, as Apollodorus F16 relates, and Berosus F17 speaks of a city about Lebanon, called Enos, which was a city of giants, who were men of vast bodies, and of great strength, inventors of arms and music, were cannibals, and exceedingly debauched

This guy's opinion carries no more weight than any poster here giving their opinion. People believe what they want and then try to find support for it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You all can stay in your state of denial and keep attempting to explain away everything that doesn't fit your particular doctrine. Me, I'm quite comfortable right where I'm at. Commentaries are nothing more than someones opinion and I notice that most of these commentaries and opinions are Vatican based. It appears that in your belief Lucifer and his band of merry angels are only guilty of wanting to be equal to or as God, nothing more. And just the thought of being that cast them out of Heaven. No actual deeds, just thoughts.

Last edited by K22; 06/28/19.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
There are too many contradictions in the bible and between religions for all of their claims and beliefs to be true.

List your favorite three or four "contradictions in the bible," please.

I don't want to get bogged down with multiple examples. There are websites that have whole lists of contradictions.

I'll give one example that deals with the nature of God as described in the bible. The stark contradiction between a cruel vindictive deity and a god of love;

God is love. - 1 John 4:8
Love is not jealous. - 1 Corinthians 13:4
God is jealous. - Exodus 20:5

Page 8 of 79 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 35, 18 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,960
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.