Hop To
Page 5 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 48 49
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Enjoying the tour vicariously along with ya Mike. Good stuff. I’m jealous that you had some good ole Fredericksburg peaches!
Were there not any road side stands selling homemade peach ice cream anymore?

Indeed they were, but all on the wrong side of 290 and I was pushing to make miles. Prob’ly I was doing it wrong.

Gotcha.
If your gonna be headed up towards Abilene give me a heads up and I’ll deliver you up some beer of your choice or Gatorade and water and food to your campsite.

Hey Tks, I’m angling NW, hoping to make Eden tomorrow, at some point I’ll probly hang a left towards Roswell if I I’m still running.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

And you don't Fugg with da Rog 🤠

True enough. Rare exceptions are made only for those he has love for, and love on him back. I'm still finding odd single socks that my pup stole from him and stashed around the house... wink

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Long day today, and lessons learned.

First lesson was this morning, discovering the nylon pouch holding the LC9 and two nine round mags has been damp since there rain on Monday. OK I’ll fess up and, I ain’t been walking around in condition read on this trip. The handgun has been in a pouch in a pannier . Being heavy the handgun naturally gravitate to the bottom some water must have got in. Apparently Rugers ain’t like Glocks, the slide got pitted with rust, embarrassing. All the innards are still good And chain lube came in handy to oil down the outside.

Nother great breakfast at the cafe in Mason, great 30 mile ride to Brady TX across the San Saba. Stopped in a McDonalds to wait out a passing line of cells, wasn’t hungry had a small shake. Headed west for another 30 miles to Eden.

Whole different story; narrow road, fast heavy traffic, previous tailwind now a crosswind. Worse, the shoulder was rough chipseal, my bike soaks up vibration by design but chipseal slows you down, I swear some miles are longer than others. Four hours later I roll into Eden just thrashed, ready to fall off the bike.

Stagger into the little grocery store to buy the usual half gallon of milk, on impulse I grab a half gallon of buttermilk too. Chugalug the whole half gallon of buttermilk outside the store. Then immediately do the same to the milk.

Golly, suddenly I can ride again, another eight miles to a recommended rest area where I’m down for the night.

Tomorrow’s gonna be a challenge; 37 miles to San Angelo, even worse chipseal, no stores or restaurants en route.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

First lesson was this morning, discovering the nylon pouch holding the LC9 and two nine round mags has been damp since there rain on Monday. OK I’ll fess up and, I ain’t been walking around in condition read on this trip. The handgun has been in a pouch in a pannier . Being heavy the handgun naturally gravitate to the bottom some water must have got in. Apparently Rugers ain’t like Glocks, the slide got pitted with rust, embarrassing. All the innards are still good And chain lube came in handy to oil down the outside.

Nother great breakfast at the cafe in Mason, great 30 mile ride to Brady TX across the San Saba. Stopped in a McDonalds to wait out a passing line of cells, wasn’t hungry had a small shake. Headed west for another 30 miles to Eden.

Whole different story; narrow road, fast heavy traffic, previous tailwind now a crosswind. Worse, the shoulder was rough chipseal, my bike soaks up vibration by design but chipseal slows you down, I swear some miles are longer than others. Four hours later I roll into Eden just thrashed, ready to fall off the bike.

Stagger into the little grocery store to buy the usual half gallon of milk, on impulse I grab a half gallon of buttermilk too. Chugalug the whole half gallon of buttermilk outside the store. Then immediately do the same to the milk.

Golly, suddenly I can ride again, another eight miles to a recommended rest area where I’m down for the night.

Tomorrow’s gonna be a challenge; 37 miles to San Angelo, even worse chipseal, no stores or restaurants en route.

Which restaurant? I've got 2 bothers living in Mason as well as my parents.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Willow Creek Cafe.

Forgot to mention...

68 miles today, 188 total.

$30 spent.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Willow Creek Cafe.

Forgot to mention...

68 miles today, 188 total.

$30 spent.

Good choice ..

There's a taco shack on the Brady side of town off the HW that's the best breakfast in town but Willow Creek is very good on average ..

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Dangerous ass Hwy from Eden to San Angelo. Be careful.

Also, if your heading towards Ballinger there’s one lane road construction from Miles all the way to Ballinger. You’ll cross the CO River if your headed that way.
If your headed through PaintRock, the Petroglyphs are worth seeing.
Ft. Concho is a neat old nicely restored pre- Civil War Fort on the TX Fort Trail in San Angelo
And there’s a cool old bookstore on Ft Chadbourne Street that specializes in Texana. Kinda reminds you of Larry McMurtry’s bookstore in Archer City. Being the book hound you are, it’ll definitely be worth your time. And theTHE two places to eat in San Angelo are Zetner’s Daughter for a chicken fried and the Western Sky Steakhouse For Steak.

And Ft Chadbourne is north of it on 277. A friend of mine owns it. He has probably the best collection of Sharps Rifles and the 2nd best collection of Winchester rifles in all of TX. And one of the best arrowhead collections in TX too. His great great great grandfather was Commander and stationed at that Fort before the Civil War and came back and bought it afterwards. He or his wife usually help give the tours. They had over 100 sections of land at one time. I think it’s down to 30 or 40 nowadays. Definitely the best Fort on the TX Fort Trails, IMO.
These were the line of Forts built pre Civil War to protect the settlers from the Comanche. But I’m sure you already new that! 😁

FOX Business Channel’s “Strange Inheritance” did a show on it.

https://youtu.be/DzZc2MijSUc

http://fortchadbourne.org/visitor-center.html

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/27/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

At least being a Ruger, it’ll still work no matter how rusted. 😬
Put a little chain oil on it. 😁

Downtown Eden has a meat market of all exotic animal meats. Great place to get some jerky. Their claim to fame is supposed to be the exotic game animal auction capital of TX.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/27/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Bird, you need “fuel” in your water while mashing peddles, not just water.

This is the best there is.

https://www.hammernutrition.com/perpetuem

This is what you need. Go to the dealer locator at the top, and see if you can stop somewhere on your route and obtain some. It will solve your cramping, balance your GI and stabilize your sugars, and more. It simply works. I know. I’ve used it for over a decade when mashing peddles long distances or competing in endurance events.

You can add it to your water or make a paste and put in a small squirt bottle, and use it in combination with your water.

Have a safe trip.

You won’t have to stand up out of your saddle as much with this fuel in your water (body).

Load your body with fats: buttermilk, real butter, cheeses, fatty meats, etc, not carbs. Ditch the bread on sandwiches. Carbs are worthless, and only spike your blood sugar. What you don’t burn turns to fat. Unhealthy.

The “load up with Carbs” is wrong. Carbs > sugar > energy = WRONG

Fat > Energy = RIGHT.

High Carb intake is what is causing the diabetic epidemic in this country.

Your body utilizes energy better from fats burned for energy without the blood sugar spikes you get from carbs.

Do animals in the wild build up fat or carbs, to burn, to make it through Winter ?

Mother Nature has it right.

Man (Medical Industrial Complex) changed it to Carbs, to prosper from, after others get sick with diseases which being overweight brings on.

Carbs NO. FATS Yes.

I rest my case.

Be safe.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, thanks for all the info.

Bicycle trip math.

Got a decision to make. Hang a left into NM to the Ruidoso area and then north through Yellowstone to Great Falls MT - 1,800 miles from here. Desert in NM, big climbs and crowds in CO.

Straight north through Bents Fort, Fort Laramie, Yellowstone, Geat Falls - 1,500 miles. Crossing the High Plains would not bore me.

Be good if I could be done by August 10th, 43 days from now.

43 days x 50 miles/day average = 2,150 potential miles able to cover. But 2,150 miles not guaranteed.

Decisions, decisions.

Either way I’m on Hwy 87 170 miles to Lamesa.

Do you know what 87 looks like?

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

id head down to Ruidoso then work north

Hey, thanks for all the info.

Bicycle trip math.

Got a decision to make. Hang a left into NM to the Ruidoso area and then north through Yellowstone to Great Falls MT - 1,800 miles from here.

Straight north through Bents Fort, Fort Laramie, Yellowstone, Geat Falls - 1,500 miles.

Be good if I could be done by August 10th, 43 days from now.

43 days x 50 miles/day average = 2,150 potential miles able to cover.

Decisions, decisions.

Either way I’m on Hwy 87 170 miles to Lamesa.

Do you know what 87 looks like?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Elk.... worse luck, all the buttermilk here is low fat grin

But what an amazing device a bicycle is that a) it can enable a 62 yo guy who can’t even run around the block to make a trip like this and.....

b) on it that guy can burn calories at such a rate that he can chugalug a gallon of a buttermilk/whole milk combo without any ill effect, and then ride a bike for another hour cool

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
safe travels

careful of all the idiots texting while driving

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Short 35 mile day today, checked into a motel early afternoon. I know there’s a lot of history here in San Angelo but the decisive factor was proximity to a WalMart smile.

I need to regroup and repack

I gotta increase my water hauling capacity, bottles or camelback I dunno and I’m thinking I need a new iPhone case, my photos keep coming out fuzzy.

Five days 215 miles, not great but not bad. I can pull it out this weekend to make a 300 mile week.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
HWY 87 is a two lane all the way to Lamesa, Mike.
Lots of hills & curves. I like that country. Pretty good ways between towns though. Lots of storms pass through that way headed my way. Lots of hail storms and not many places to stop for cover if you get caught out in it.
The DQ in Sterling City is one of the better ones I’ve ate at in TX. Newly remodeled and very clean. Not much else there but a Stripes Convenience Store. Until you get to Big Springs, where you’ll hit a big Truck Stop at I-20.
Be safe. Lots of 18 wheeler traffic on 87 from San Angelo to Lamesa.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Short 35 mile day today, checked into a motel early afternoon. I know there’s a lot of history here in San Angelo but the decisive factor was proximity to a WalMart smile.

I need to regroup and repack

I gotta increase my water hauling capacity, bottles or camelback I dunno and I’m thinking I need a new iPhone case, my photos keep coming out fuzzy.

Five days 215 miles, not great but not bad. I can pull it out this weekend to make a 300 mile week.

Did you get a chance to check out the old book store in San Angelo I told you about ?
I finally thought of the name of it 🤠 And it’s on E. Concho street. Not on Ft Chadbourne street 😬

http://www.cactusbookshop.com/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
HWY 87 is a two lane all the way to Lamesa, Mike.
Lots of hills & curves. I like that country. Pretty good ways between towns though. Lots of storms pass through that way headed my way. Lots of hail storms and not many places to stop for cover if you get caught out in it.

To quote a relative from years ago.... "Nothing hard is ever easy." grin

Nothing for it but to give it a shot is all. How'd they manage back in cowboy days?

Anyways photos from the previous two days....

The San Saba...

[Linked Image]

This is what a tailwind looks like......

[Linked Image]

Brady

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gmX1Fr][Linked Image]
Untitled

Brady oughtta be a pilgrimage site for Texas Aggies and/or DDay affictionados. The courthouse with the Earl Rudder statue out front.

[Linked Image]

A road that sucks; 87 west out of Brady to Eden. Actually a decent shoulder but heavy chipseal, especially on the shoulder. Chip seal is paving created by mixing gravel with asphalt, its cheaper than regular road asphalt. On the road where its driven on it wears reasonably smooth, on the shoulder it stays rough. The steel frame on my touring bike soaks up most of that but it slows you way down. So you end up riding at the edge of the traffic lane and watching your mirrors. Only good thing is chipseal makes car and truck tires howl, of course I bail off of the road when that happens
[Linked Image]Untitled

Dead snake on the shoulder...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Eden, pop 2,000, half of whom are incarcerated in the State jail. Truly BFE, yet has a famous meat market, with this weird mural on the wall.

[Linked Image]

Camping spot overnight, eight miles west of Eden.

[Linked Image]

Breakfast of champions....

[Linked Image]Untitled

The worst part of getting your water from the sink in the men's room at a rest area? That faint soapy aftertaste sick

[Linked Image]Untitled

Oversized Magellan fishing shirts in colors not found in nature is the way to go.

Life on the line, living and loving dangerously....

[Linked Image]

Second breakfast, its all about the calories....

[Linked Image]

Right then, off onto the High Plains. This place sure is tougher than going the other way to NY or tooling around the UK.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm enjoying the heck out of your thread. I see your bicycle has down tube shift levers. That puts it back a bit in time. My road bike had those shifters it got upgraded to Sachs Ergopower back in the day. What make and model of bike are you riding?

Do you have some sort of mirror to see behind you? I've used a mirror that clipped onto my eye glasses so I can see behind me. Typically I hear a vehicle, I look to see if it is giving me room so I know if I need to get out of its path. Ears and eyes, kept me safe on a lot of cross state tours. I think it was a lot safer 20-30 years ago before smart phones and idiot drivers.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mike that Allsup’s food will kill you 🤮
Worst case of food poisoning I ever got was from a Allsup’s Burrito. If you pass a Stripes Convenience Store, their’s is a little better.

Think I’d rather have some Vienna Sausages and some Dorito’s. 😬

Or better yet, DQ 🍦

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/29/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.